The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Silvio said:

Always felt the fans were quick to forget what a bad injury he had. 

While many of our players are truly gash and would be shite no matter who they played for, there are a number in the squad who would clearly be better if they were playing in a better side.

I'd class Naismith in the latter category. 

Naismith was excellent then out for a year with that bad injury. When he came back Rae would not allow him over the half way line which severely curtained his effectiveness as he is very much an attacking full back. Has improved steadily since Ross allowed him to bomb forward again. Reckon he will be missed.

I'm not fussed about Naismith leaving tbh, I didn't rate him or Sean Kelly as much as other saints fans seemed to do. He's fine bombing forward but defensively his positional awareness is very poor. All about opinions and it's going to be interesting to see how he does at Ross County.

We need to sign a left back pronto if Irvine is moving to right back.

Really gutted to see him go.

Had loads of potential before the injury, and was just getting back to close to his best.

Very Alan Hutton in his style of play, and can see him playing at a higher level than RC.

RC clearly have a much better team than we do at the moment, and I think he'll shine with them.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

I'm not fussed about Naismith leaving tbh, I didn't rate him or Sean Kelly as much as other saints fans seemed to do. He's fine bombing forward but defensively his positional awareness is very poor. All about opinions and it's going to be interesting to see how he does at Ross County.

We need to sign a left back pronto if Irvine is moving to right back.

I'd agree with the bit in bold. Fans like a fullback who gets forward and don't mind so much if he isn't quite as at the back. Travner, Tesselaar and Vanzy (in his first spell anyway) were a bit like that. I suppose if they were good going forward and defensively sound they wouldn't be anywhere near Scottish football!

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'd agree with the bit in bold. Fans like a fullback who gets forward and don't mind so much if he isn't quite as at the back. Travner, Tesselaar and Vanzy (in his first spell anyway) were a bit like that. I suppose if they were good going forward and defensively sound they wouldn't be anywhere near Scottish football!

Franco Miranda!

That worldy consolation goal he scored in the 5-1 drubbing we took off Celtic. :wub:

Also, the universal language of football meant that, even though his English was poor, he too understood that Scott Brown was a c**t.

Edit - found it:

Franco Miranda!
That worldy consolation goal he scored in the 5-1 drubbing we took off Celtic. :wub:
Also, the universal language of football meant that, even though his English was poor, he too understood that Scott Brown was a c**t.

Edit - found it:

I loved big Franco from the minute he bombed up the park and scored on the debut, I think against Caley. Some man.

3 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Really gutted to see him go.

Had loads of potential before the injury, and was just getting back to close to his best.

Very Alan Hutton in his style of play, and can see him playing at a higher level than RC.

RC clearly have a much better team than we do at the moment, and I think he'll shine with them.

I honestly don't think he has got anywhere near the level he was performing at before the injury. Yes he has been better of late but not particularly bothered, think he has done well to get back to the SPFL but I would be surprised if he goes anywhere better .

1 hour ago, Diamond Oracle said:

What a greeting face b*****d Alex Rae is.

Just listening to him on Clyde SSB and it's obvious he still bitter about his sacking and seems to want to make all the excuses under the sun for being shite.

:lol:

I heard it was along the lines of....'it's not my fault, I had those players as well'.

Aye Alex, but you fucking signed them and ensured the squad was woefully imbalanced you spitting cretin.

Gordon Scott on Clyde tonight raised several points:

Jack Ross will more than likely continue into next season as manager to try and allow him to bring some stability within the club unless something 'unforeseen' happens....by this I assume he means that unless Ross loses the dressing room completely, he'll be given the chance to properly rebuild the squad in the summer regardless of division.

He goes on to say that St. Mirren will be brokering sponsorship deals that's worth more than the entire package JD were offering, IF we stay up. The deals are still on the table but with lesser terms if we go down. (Bear in mind that JD had Kit manufacturing, Kit Sponsor, Billboards, side billboards in the stands and the dome sponsorship as part of their deal.....personally I always thought they got quite a lot of space in the stadium for their buck and felt this could potentially be broken down and made more profitable. It seems this is the case)

Next season the club will be having the kits manufactured independently and distributing and selling the kits themselves. I'd imagine this is in the style of clubs like Hamilton, Aberdeen and Ayr Utd currently do, or going back to the agreement previously in place with the Provan family to take care of this side of the business but run their operation under the St. Mirren banner rather than Provan Sports.

There are several development proposals for the ground in the mix and these are currently being looked at, though no further information was given.

He'd expect us to come straight back up in the event we go down and we'd be staying full time next season in League 1 without question.

He was prodded about Alex Rae being very critical of both himself and the decision to sack him and he refused to be drawn into a slagging match about him. Said he stands by the decision to terminate him given the circumstances and if we still get relegated regardless, will take full responsibility for the decision (even though he still feels it was completely correct) and do his utmost to rectify it.

4 minutes ago, Hughheffner69 said:

Selling players when your in the relegation zone is never a good idea

Fear the worst for st mirren this year

In what way? Naismith had already signed a PCA with Ross County and hasn't been at all in good form, he's coming off the back of missing the entirety of last season with torn knee ligaments and should he have damaged them again between now and then whilst playing for us, could have potentially been out of contract with us and had his agreement with County withdrawn, ending up out of football next season so it was in the best interests of both us and Naismith that he went now.

County could also have waited until the end of June and registered him after he turns 23, meaning we'd get zero development fee for him. At least in this situation we get some sort of fee and the chance to replace him in the next week or two.

3 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

What a greeting face b*****d Alex Rae is.

Just listening to him on Clyde SSB and it's obvious he still bitter about his sacking and seems to want to make all the excuses under the sun for being shite.

:lol:

An absolute weapon who is now doing what he does best worshipping the new club. 

Archived