Stirling Albion Thread

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I wouldn’t be against ourselves chucking Denholm a deal if we don’t go up via the playoffs. How did he do playing wide left? We have bizzarely given Greg Wylde another deal and I’d view Denholm as an upgrade on muck like him.

Better than Wylde for sure. He's a dilgent worker helping out his full back and a pretty much average league 2 winger.

He seems like one of these easy to coach players. If you give him a  job he will do it to the best of his ability. Doesn't throw in many total stinkers so isn't a liability.

Also scored our goal of the season which was a screamer.

18 minutes ago, WattersIsGod said:

Better than Wylde for sure. He's a dilgent worker helping out his full back and a pretty much average league 2 winger.

He seems like one of these easy to coach players. If you give him a  job he will do it to the best of his ability. Doesn't throw in many total stinkers so isn't a liability.

Also scored our goal of the season which was a screamer.

I suspect we're not quite close enough to Edinburgh for Denholm unfortunately. Because I agree, he'd be a solid signing for anyone in this league.

He'd be a great addition for Bonnyrigg now I think of it actually. Plenty of experience, a bit of quality and Edinburgh based. If I was Robbie Horn I'd be on the blower to him right now.

37 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I suspect we're not quite close enough to Edinburgh for Denholm unfortunately. Because I agree, he'd be a solid signing for anyone in this league.

He'd be a great addition for Bonnyrigg now I think of it actually. Plenty of experience, a bit of quality and Edinburgh based. If I was Robbie Horn I'd be on the blower to him right now.

I do wonder if that’s where he’ll end up, but agree that he is a better option than Gregg Wylde , can’t believe he had gotten another year with you, he’s looked poor against us this season and reading threads on here, I don’t think I have seen anything positive posted about him.

59 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

I do wonder if that’s where he’ll end up, but agree that he is a better option than Gregg Wylde , can’t believe he had gotten another year with you, he’s looked poor against us this season and reading threads on here, I don’t think I have seen anything positive posted about him.

I can't say Denholm has impressed me mate. He has about 2 effective games in 5.  In too many he's been a headless chicken like Davidson for me.

Average league 2 winger. The thing is,  there are loads of guys in league 2 who are 2/10 one week and 9/10 the next. Danny is a solid 6/10 every week. Managers like that.

I'd argue that having defensively responsible hard working wingers is how you get away with jack leitch playing as a #8 in a four man midfield. 

Its great in possession but can be painful to watch when  we don't have the ball.

Edited by WattersIsGod
typo

Like Danny a lot, but agree it feels like the right decision for all parties for him to move on. Seems like a good dressing room influence. One of the few players we had this season that could offer some control in midfield. Can't beat a man, which was an issue out wide, but was a very good rotation option to have. 

I don't think there will be wholesale changes to the squad, and the last few interviews I have seen with Darren Young, especially the one after the Albion Rovers game, I really do get the impression that the squad is staying together and extensions have been agreed but not publically announced.

Again he spoke of bringing in 4 or 5 players, whether that be via the Loan market or signings, assuming that's to cover the 3 gaps which will be left by Weir, Duffy and Hamilton......although I do suspect that Weir's return to Bonnyrigg will be covered by Law or one of the Development Squad Goalkeepers.....along with Denholm, that really only allows another 1 more to go, assuming the squad number is going to remain the same, so it sounds like it could be another summer like last year.

Is this a bad thing.....I don't think it is, I heard or read someone say that it would be a squad of evolution not revolution, and I think that's been Darren Young's plan since coming in. Many were critical of his inactivity in the January after replacing KR, where performances were turgid and a bottom 2 or 3 finish was a real possibility. A section of fans were again critical when a large number of that squad was retained, and "5 or 6" players were added, I wasn't critical but I was underwhelmed, but the league doesn't lie and not only was it a great idea but the squad and fans feel closer together than ever......little tweaks rather than savage cuts and recruitment, played a big part in that.

Think most fans are unanimous in the fact that we need creativity and pace out wide, it will be interesting to see if that deficiency will be addressed or will Young choose to play narrow, like he did during much of this season? 90ish% of next seasons games are going to be on plastic by the look of things, a lot of these games (Montrose, Kelty Hearts, Edinburgh, Cove, possibly Alloa, possibly Annan and possibly Dumarton) are going to be played on narrow pitches with little space to pull teams wide and exploit the space anyway, so he may favour the more Moore/Dunsmore type player rather than your traditional sand dancer out there.

I think you are probably right.

I was probably a bit underwhelmed last summer too and certainly wasn't expecting us to have the season we had.

A couple more maybe released and the loans returning will open up a few spots but definitely evolution rather than revolution.

I don't mind that either for a couple of reasons. Darren Young has certainly earned more trust this season.

Also, the spirit and togetherness in that squad is amazing. The long unbeaten run has as much to do with that as the football played. For that reason, I'm quite happy to see it evolve rather than rip it up and start again.

I wouldn't be that surprised to see Duffy come back on loan. I don't see him as ready to start for utd and he's decent cover at Left Back and left midfield.

I won't be surprised to see us continuing with steady, defensively responsible wingers Either.

23 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I don't think there will be wholesale changes to the squad, and the last few interviews I have seen with Darren Young, especially the one after the Albion Rovers game, I really do get the impression that the squad is staying together and extensions have been agreed but not publically announced.

Again he spoke of bringing in 4 or 5 players, whether that be via the Loan market or signings, assuming that's to cover the 3 gaps which will be left by Weir, Duffy and Hamilton......although I do suspect that Weir's return to Bonnyrigg will be covered by Law or one of the Development Squad Goalkeepers.....along with Denholm, that really only allows another 1 more to go, assuming the squad number is going to remain the same, so it sounds like it could be another summer like last year.

Is this a bad thing.....I don't think it is, I heard or read someone say that it would be a squad of evolution not revolution, and I think that's been Darren Young's plan since coming in. Many were critical of his inactivity in the January after replacing KR, where performances were turgid and a bottom 2 or 3 finish was a real possibility. A section of fans were again critical when a large number of that squad was retained, and "5 or 6" players were added, I wasn't critical but I was underwhelmed, but the league doesn't lie and not only was it a great idea but the squad and fans feel closer together than ever......little tweaks rather than savage cuts and recruitment, played a big part in that.

Think most fans are unanimous in the fact that we need creativity and pace out wide, it will be interesting to see if that deficiency will be addressed or will Young choose to play narrow, like he did during much of this season? 90ish% of next seasons games are going to be on plastic by the look of things, a lot of these games (Montrose, Kelty Hearts, Edinburgh, Cove, possibly Alloa, possibly Annan and possibly Dumarton) are going to be played on narrow pitches with little space to pull teams wide and exploit the space anyway, so he may favour the more Moore/Dunsmore type player rather than your traditional sand dancer out there.

Much depends on getting new sponsors and not losing any mate. Darren can only do what his budget let's him do,  We'll have to wait and see what he gets to work with for the upgrade to league one.  I was as you know, one of very few who felt Darren was the right man for the job.  Not that he needed my support, the man vindicated himself in style.

36 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

I was as you know, one of very few who felt Darren was the right man for the job.  Not that he needed my support, the man vindicated himself in style.

Has he actually had many doubters? News to me. I’ve always supported him. Was delighted when he got the job and the guys I go to the football with have always backed him. 

2 hours ago, dave_binos said:

Has he actually had many doubters? News to me. I’ve always supported him. Was delighted when he got the job and the guys I go to the football with have always backed him. 

I should have been more clear that I was referring only to people who had posted on P&B.  Some were critical, others dubious, few positive, but that's a very small number of people in the support.  For all I know the mass of supporters who don't comment on social media were positive towards him.  I'm not on Facebook, so I've no idea what opinions were flying around there.  Of people I actually know, all thought he was a good appointment.

Slater released by Forfar, so that's one possibility that's opened up.

Would also take either Healey or Orsi, which were both possibilities suggested on this thread.

Incidentally, it wouldn't surprise me to see Weir remain at the club as competition to Currie.

3 hours ago, dave_binos said:

There weren’t many doubters when he was appointed, in fact, I think it was universally applauded by our support. However, I do remember this time last year, a vocal minority saying that he should get longer because he signed his old pal Dunsmore on loan from East Fife, along with the appalling Akeel Frances and performances didn’t improve greatly. Thankfully the  then board sided with the silent majority’s on that one.

Edited by BB_Bino

Was always willing to give him a chance.

I think all managers deserve a pre season and chance to shape their squad how they want it 

I'd managed to remove the memory of Akeel Francis so thanks for that. He didn't even look like a footballer at all. Scarily bad.

3 hours ago, Raving On said:

Slater released by Forfar, so that's one possibility that's opened up.

Would also take either Healey or Orsi, which were both possibilities suggested on this thread.

Incidentally, it wouldn't surprise me to see Weir remain at the club as competition to Currie.

He’s off to Arbroath by all means 

3 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

There weren’t many doubters when he was appointed, in fact, I think it was universally applauded by our support. However, I do remember this time last year, a vocal minority saying that he should get longer because he signed his old pal Dunsmore on loan from East Fife, along with the appalling Akeel Frances and performances didn’t improve greatly. Thankfully the  then board sided with the silent majority’s on that one.

The problem with January out of contract players is that your choices are usually limited to people no clubs want.  Particularly when it comes to strikers.  We'd lost Bikey and Mackin wasn't up to it.  That left Darren with little choice but to find somebody to play alongside Dale.  If he could have got a striker  worth getting on loan he's have done it.  He took a chance on Frances and it didn't come off.   His loan signings saved our ass.  Saving our ass was the best we were realistically going to get, but some expected more.

An interesting video on You Tube with Dick Campbell admitting his signings this season were crap.  Not easy finding part timers good enough to play in a full time league.