Election Night

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True but can the Labour Leopard change its spots? Is the SNPbad too much ingrained into their psyche

Support the Tory opposition, get thumped by the SNP as Red Tories.

Support the SNP, reinforce the SNP goverment and indirectly support a renewed Indy push.

Abstain? Don't support anyone and gift the SNP a de facto majority.

The fact is, I'm not even sure the SNP need that much Green support. Not being the official opposition puts Lbaour in a pretty nasty place. Before, they could mindlessly oppose the SNP on everything, now to do so would be seen to be supporting a Tory position (rather than before when it would be Tories agreeing with Labour) which is obviously worked well for them in the past and will make the next Westminster election even more difficult. That leaves them the choice of supporting the SNp or abstaining on everything, giving the SNP a de facto majority.

This is an excellent point.

Think the SNP will try and use the Lib Dems more than the Greens.

Quite possibly. The Lib Dems have shown themselves to be unprincipled political whores. Rennie is just a creepier version of Nick Clegg.

You'd have thought the Lib Dem collapse post-coalition was permanent, but looking at their mainland seats it appears they can still make a realistic fight in some parts of the country and the backlash is wearing off ever so slightly. They'll probably never return to double figures in MSPs again and can't afford to stand in every constituency from now on, but they're clearly not looking at actually dying out everywhere but Orkney & Shetland.

Hard to say if that gives Labour any hope for the future, considering the catalyst for the collapse is so different in their case.

Well they'll survive where they can count on the 'anyone but SNP' vote, like in Edinburgh West. But that's basically standing as a Unionist party, which is what the Tories did this time.

Labour could of course pick up seats the same way, but in their heartlands the 'Anyone but SNP' tag doesn't have enough appeal.

Hattachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1462520476.583338.jpg

How does this work then? That to me suggests another 7000ish votes and the Greens get another MSP instead of the Tories.

21000 more votes required for 2 more Green seats.

56000 more votes required for 3 more Green seats.

Interesting angle for the next time if the same story pans across all the regions. 

But, they are.

Potentially very relevant now. If anything, the make up of the parliament potentially renders the labour party irrelevant more the Lib Dems. Labour will contest pretty much everything the SNP propose, but you get the feeling the Lib Dems and Greens will be more happy to act constructively and will review policy on an issue by issue basis.

To be honest, I'm quite pleased with that result. The SNP not having a majority in a Parliament formed so parties are forced to build consensus, with no second chamber, is a good thing and it'll hopefully force the SNP to scrap some of their more authoritarian policies which none of the other parties will back.

I suspect we'll see quite a few shouting matches at FMQs now, but at least the SNP will be properly scrutinised from the right and the left.

Hats off to the Tories. Incredible result that even they don't appear to have seen coming. Congrats also to the Greens on tripling their presence, and the lib dems for two stunning victories against the SNP, albeit in previous Lib Dem strong holds. Labour had 3 moments in the sun too, but that was about as disastrous as it could possibly get for them. No Coburn is obviously a good thing too as he's a flaming bunglecunt.

If indyref2 is something the SNP want to explore for whatever 'material change in circumstance' they find, then I'm sure the Greens will happily back them up if they agree. To be honest though, I'd rather see a functioning, vibrant Scottish Parliament focussed on bettering Scotland with the powers we have, hopefully showing we can handle our own affairs for those no voters too insecure to believe we could, and this result should provide that.

BEFORE 71 Yes MSP's

AFTER 69 Yes MSP's

Slowly but surely...

Aye, we'll need to help The Greens into 2nd the next time, mibbee we can have Patrick Harvie following Rennie's lead and scooting down a couple of flumes or doing a few bungee jumps.

The 'I hope Labour are third brigade' enjoying Murdo Fraser and co crowing all over Twitter?

Not as much as Labour enjoyed their champagne and dancing with the Tories when they managed to ensure Tory rule over Scotland whenever the UK wants it. As Labour have brewed, so shall they drink.

I'm fairly certain the SNP will govern with ease without the need for any formal coalition. If their policies come under a bit more scrutiny that is not a bad thing for the country; ultimately it may not be a bad thing for the SNP themselves. You always have to consider policy more carefully when there's any chance it may be voted down.

Nonetheless the SNP will have to decide on their political and electoral strategy over the coming months. Do they stick, knowing that they've reached a plateau but hoping that the don't drop further support? Do they try to try to appeal to those still voting Labour by highlighting how irrelevant SLab has become and at the same time try to win back some of the support going to the Greens?

Hopefully they won't entertain any notions of going further to the right to win back votes off the Tories.

I hope there are going to be some detailed post-election polls. I'd like to see the age demographics, whether there was a straight forward SNP to Tory swing in the NE and how young folk voted.

Pros:

• SNP biggest party, Nicola Sturgeon is First Minister
  • Pro Indy majority
  • Andy Wightman
  • The Tories are now the public face of the Union.

Cons

• Loss of SNP overall majority can be spun as detrimental to Indy hopes.
  • Legions of tory arseholes.

Archived