The Partick Thistle thread

Almost certainly. Our manager used a difficult but winnable cup tie as a practice game for our next league fixture.

Fair enough if the opposition start with two up front but do Hearts not play a more 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1?

I'm getting concerned with our lack of chances. I could only recall two from yesterday's game, Welsh's effort in the first half and Amoo's late on after we'd gone behind.

My mate asked me during the game if Archie still got advice from Lambie. I kinda laughed it off and thought that was unlikely but I had heard that he keeps in touch with McCall.

However if we pick up Grant Tierney on a free agency signing he may be right :o

Three at the back is fine if we're playing out a game but you leave the opportunity for the opposition to grab a late goal and you're left with little or no chance to get back into things.

Three at the back is fine if we're playing out a game but you leave the opportunity for the opposition to grab a late goal and you're left with little or no chance to get back into things.

Three at the back is also fine if the rest of your lineup is fairly attacking. However, we had Miller at RWB, who isn't the most attacking, and the defensive CM trio of Bannigan, Osman and Welsh. That sort of formation leaves Doolan incredibly isolated and with only Lawless anywhere near him.

To follow on from the above, Archie's persistence with Welsh is baffling. The guy has had about 2 good games since October, and I can't help but feel if it was certain other players in the team they'd have been dropped long ago. Archie seems to see him as this integral cog in our midfield and he's just not; someone like Edwards or Fraser with a bit of drive about them were a much better fit for yesterday's formation.

I'm sure if you'd offered fans a win on Tuesday night but a loss yesterday, most would have taken it, and I'm sure Archie would have as well, but that lineup, shape and performance was just so negative that it's understandable why some are annoyed.

After losing Higgy, Taylor and O'Donnell I think Archie was right in changing our play to make us harder to beat as we had lost a lot of our attacking quality, but I thought it was strange in changing to a more defensive setup yesterday after *adding* to our attack in January. Although I've said before that I would take a defeat in the cup and a win in the league over United.

Understand trying 5 at the back against the likes of Hearts though, as our current formation has been dismal in those matches.

It's possible he's looked at our last game at Tannadice, or the Motherwell game, or a good number of other games we've played this season where we've created barely any chances yet managed a clean sheet, and thought there would be nothing to lose from tightening up further. Without having been at the game yesterday, it does sound like a carbon copy of Tuesday night regardless of the change in formation.

Our issue in creating chances is less a matter if shape, more the type of players we have in midfield and out wide. Osman and Welsh are defensively minded, and Bannigan tends to distribute the ball wide as opposed to directly linking midfield to attack. If Stevenson could have been arsed he could have proved handy for us, as would signing Erskine in January. I'm not convinced German or Nesbitt are what we're looking for, but I've not seen them play yet.

Our only downgrade from last season is a failure to properly replace Higginbotham. He was hardly a world-beater and was prone to moments of petulance like his red card yesterday, but he fitted our team perfectly and was the source of a lot of our goals. Amoo and Lawless haven't really stepped up to the mark in that position.

Edited by Firhill Road

I'd rather we were stuffy and shite to watch if it means we are progressing.

Better than the heart break of watching Balatoni fall on his arse and conceding last minute goals.

This.

I'd rather do what St Johnstone have done recently rather than jump about the leagues.

This time last season

P23 W6 D7 L10 F32 A28 GD +4 Pts 25 9th

League Cup - Quarter Finals

Scottish Cup - 5th Round

This season

P23 W7 D7 L9 F22 A28 GD -6 Pts 28 9th

League Cup - 2nd Round

Scottish Cup - 5th Round

Is that the level of progress that's acceptable enough to turn to shitfesting our way through the season? It's fair enough if you get St Johnstone levels of success out of it but by their 3rd season in the Premier League they had reached 2 national semi finals and finished their 3rd season in the top 6.

If we improve on last season's finish then arguably it's a success but there was plenty of people who were all for playing the right way at all costs when we went up which seems to have disappeared now the football isn't very good.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

I find great insult in this claim we shitfested as soon as we came up, 2012/13 we were one of the most entertaining teams in the Country