The Partick Thistle thread

Will be disappointed if Welsh is off, especially if it was between him and Fraser, although I suspect there's more to it than that. I'm not convinced Fraser can offer much at this level after the period he's been out, he had glaring deficiencies in his game which needed improving and I worry that he's too far behind the curve now. It's a shame as he's as talented a ball striker as we've had. 

Welsh had a good season, but with the options we'll have at CM next season, I feel that letting him leave is probably the right decision.

Warming up to the idea of the Simon Murray signing based on the last few playoff games. It'll still be an obvious step up for him, but he seems to have decent composure in front of goal and a great work rate, as well as being able to play up front or out wide. That kind of versatility is a key thing with all our mid-match formation shifts.

Edited by Nightmare

What are the chances McCarthy will have a prominent role in the squad next season? I would have assumed that the plan would be to send him out on loan either to the Championship or top end League 1 but if he's seen as a squad player for next season, maybe Welsh has seen that and thought his game time will be limited with Banzo/Barton/Osman/Edwards/McCarthy/Fraser(maybe) and him all competing for 3 places? 

Tbh if we want to be a consistent top 6 side like St J, we need upgrades on a few of our players across the squad. IMO Welsh sadly falls into that category. Decent player at this level, but no more than that and I'd be more than happy if his place in the squad gets taken up by someone like McCarthy. 

Might be a bit pessimistic discussing this already but if Archie does feck awf, I don't think Duff Jimmy would be the worst option.

I've just depressed myself.

He wouldn't be a good option though. I'm not sure who we'd get but I hope to f**k the board is more ambitious than Jim Duffy.

3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He wouldn't be a good option though. I'm not sure who we'd get but I hope to f**k the board is more ambitious than Jim Duffy.

'Safe pair of hands' mentality innit. I'm not saying I want his baldy coupon in the Firhill dugout, just that he would be preferable to some of the other jibbering fools that always get touted for jobs by their media pals. Yer Terry Calderwoods, Kenny Butchers etc.

Set yer sights low and be pleasantly surprised. That's my motto.

Anyway, I've been to Swindon. It's a shitehouse. Archie's staying.

Welsh leaving isn't that bad. He's injury prone and whilst he came back and played well he's no better than what we already have in Osman, Edwards, Banzo or Barton. Plus we've got 2-3 youngsters nipping at the heels to get time.

All the best to him and thanks for all that he's done for us.

I think Archie has two years on his contract left? Steve Evans was favourite on Sky Bet last night but Archie was 9/4. This market can be skewed by someone lumping £20 on their fancy right enough.

Looking at the season minus tomorrow's game there is plenty of score for improvement in the league and if course the cups.

Played/ Points

Aberdeen 

3/0

Celtic

4/1

Dundee

4/9

Hamilton

3/5

Motherwell

3/4

Inverness 

3/5

Rangers

4/0

St Johnstone

4/3

Ross County

3/7

Kilmarnock

3/3

Hearts

4/5

Top 6 was nice but there has been far too many games we've not held on or not turned up. 9 points against fellow Top 6 clubs is pretty meh.

58 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

I think Archie has two years on his contract left? Steve Evans was favourite on Sky Bet last night but Archie was 9/4. This market can be skewed by someone lumping £20 on their fancy right enough.

Looking at the season minus tomorrow's game there is plenty of score for improvement in the league and if course the cups.

Played/ Points

Aberdeen 

3/0

Celtic

4/1

Dundee

4/9

Hamilton

3/5

Motherwell

3/4

Inverness 

3/5

Rangers

4/0

St Johnstone

4/3

Ross County

3/5

Kilmarnock

3/3

Hearts

4/5

Top 6 was nice but there has been far too many games we've not held on or not turned up. 9 points against fellow Top 6 clubs is pretty meh.

That adds up to 40! 2 points missing.

Doubt he'll be leaving this summer unless a decent English Champ side come in for him.

Surprised if the Welsh thing is true, thought he'd be kept over Fraser (who I think should be let go). Although this season Barton has come in and been a standout and McCarthy is pushing into the 1st team, doesn't leave much room for a guy who's been out for most of the past 4 years.