The Partick Thistle thread

5 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Pleased that a valuable contributor to the 2012/13 promotion season has finally joined up. 

On that, for all I'm a critic of him he's never guilty of turning in the type of shambling mess of a performance you saw that night anymore. That was a young right footed centre back being hung out to dry by his manager deciding to play him at left back.

Never play him at full back is the lesson here. Duffy also used him in central midfield regularly in League One and even at centre forward a couple of times, but you don't want to do that either.

Obviously a very experienced player at this level and makes headlines with his goal scoring record for a centre back.

Most Morton fans will tell you that his inclusion in last season's team of the year smacked of a lazy selection process as he had regressed a bit from the previous year and wasn't even regarded as our best central defender.

One nasty habit he developed last year was a bit of a Billy big balls attitude, making mistakes but absolutely berating everyone around him for them. You need to ensure that is stamped out. Not what we liked to see from our stand in captain.

At his best spell with us when he had Gunning beside him leading him. If you have a suitably strong partner for him then you have a good signing at this level. If you have someone who can put a decent corner onto his head he will be an asset at set pieces.

If he bonds with Archibald, then things are going bad leading to abuse for the manager from the fans, don't be surprised if he tries to get into the stand to have a square go with you.

Good servant to the club but most weren't overly concerned that it was time to part ways.

Potential lineup as things stand, with O'Ware in for of Barton. The thought of Barton still being at the club in general isn't particularly appealing, but at least he's been relegated to the bench in this speculative lineup which will likely be nowhere near the real thing.

--------------- Cerny

Elliott - Keown - O'Ware - Penrice

------ McCarthy - Bannigan

- Spittal ---- Erskine ---- Storey

--------------- Doolan

Subs: Sneddon, Barton, Wilson

Nice to see that there's already a structured (if bare) squad in place at this point. Of course, we all know how last season went after having what looked like a strong squad in place very early in preseason, so I suppose this really means nothing and is just a product of me being bored as f**k with no football on a Saturday.

Edited by Nightmare

48 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Potential lineup as things stand, with O'Ware in for of Barton. The thought of Barton still being at the club in general isn't particularly appealing, but at least he's been relegated to the bench in this speculative lineup which will likely be nowhere near the real thing.

--------------- Cerny

Elliott - Keown - O'Ware - Penrice

------ McCarthy - Bannigan

- Spittal ---- Erskine ---- Storey

--------------- Doolan

Subs: Sneddon, Barton, Wilson

Nice to see that there's already a structured (if bare) squad in place at this point. Of course, we all know how last season went after having what looked like a strong squad in place very early in preseason, so I suppose this really means nothing and is just a product of me being bored as f**k with no football on a Saturday.

I'm still working on the assumption that Keown, Storey and Barton are all going to get moves elsewhere and that Bannigan is done as a full-time player. Think Keown is the most likely of the three to still stay which I'd be happy with tbh, although I would assume it's dependant on him failing to get a move elsewhere.

Very happy with O'Ware signing, on paper if nothing else it's a great start to rebuilding the squad. Still need about 8 or so players all over the shop!

Of all the ex thistle names available (#announcebigsexygabrieldelarojovegapiccolo) I reckon we'll try to sign ATS back - pretty sure he's been playing as a CB down south so could maybe be an option there as well as at LB and we need the utility with a smaller squad size, which in turn means Penrice can cover or outright play in midfield, free agent so worth at least making contact if he's not got anything else lined up, won this league before.

Other than that I have a feeling akin to RandomGuy's gut feeling we'd end up signing Gary Miller someday that we'll go in for Jesse Curran on loan from Dundee, based almost solely on him playing quite well against us last season and seemingly being on the fringes of their first team.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

3 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I'm still working on the assumption that Keown, Storey and Barton are all going to get moves elsewhere and that Bannigan is done as a full-time player. Think Keown is the most likely of the three to still stay which I'd be happy with tbh, although I would assume it's dependant on him failing to get a move elsewhere.

Very happy with O'Ware signing, on paper if nothing else it's a great start to rebuilding the squad. Still need about 8 or so players all over the shop!

Of all the ex thistle names available (#announcebigsexygabrieldelarojovegapiccolo) I reckon we'll try to sign ATS back - pretty sure he's been playing as a CB down south so could maybe be an option there as well as at LB and we need the utility with a smaller squad size, which in turn means Penrice can cover or outright play in midfield, free agent so worth at least making contact if he's not got anything else lined up, won this league before.

Other than that I have a feeling akin to RandomGuy's gut feeling we'd end up signing Gary Miller someday that we'll go in for Jesse Curran on loan from Dundee, based almost solely on him playing quite well against us last season and seemingly being on the fringes of their first team.

If he was willing to come back I would take ATS and move Penrice to left midfield where the Livinfans raved about him. They both could cause plenty of destruction on the LHS 

16 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:
54 minutes ago, Thistle4eva said:
I’d Definitely take Higgy back isn’t he out of contract as well ?

Jesus f**k. Peak Thistle fans in transfer window.

If any old players were returning that's who I would take! Don't particularly like us signing ex players tbh.

58 minutes ago, Acaplegic said:

Devine was too good for you lot.

Most Jolly Jags fans wouldn't know a player if they seen one.

Yous wanted super Tam O. I know this for a fact must feel a bit degrading for you that he signed for a bigger club. Sweet dreams son.

10 hours ago, Red 'N Yellow said:

Pleased with that, good start.

Love him as a player.  Very versatile. Not a great defender but will score many goals from set pieces. A very good signing for the championship. Ross Forbes was his main provider at set pieces and is a free agent. Hope he doesn't sign for the Jags!