The Partick Thistle thread

Just shows how stats don’t mean that much. Will be interesting to see how Doolan gets on with the play-offs though, he’s done relatively well since taking over.  Although, both Dundee and Queens dropped A LOT of points in that last quarter and no one else was able to take advantage (Ayr ultimately did by pipping Queens I suppose). 

It shows we'd likely have fared a good bit better by changing manager sooner - maybe after the draw away to Cove. That big an upturn in ppg with the same squad is a bit of a showing up for McCall.

I don't expect Doolan to sustain that over next season as preparing a pre-season and building a new squad with a likely reduced budget is a whole new challenge, but he's shown more than enough competence to take on the job.

11 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Most of the post-Raith updates are in place on the Archive, still managing to include a video for all 49 games so far, home page news →

:detective:  A COSTLY DRAW

Jack McMillan completes the 2022-23 League season as an ever-present for Partick Thistle, with 36 appearances. He's the first to do so since James Penrice and Blair Spittal, both of whom registered the feat in 2018-19.
● Goalkeeper David Mitchell hits a new personal best of 10 consecutive competitive appearances for Thistle.
Darren Brownlie scores his first League goal for Partick Thistle.
● Bizarrely, Thistle have only conceded 3 penalties in the League all season, with Raith Rovers being the beneficiaries on 3 separate occasions!
● It's 6 direct goal involvements in his last 5 games for the on-form Scott Tiffoney.
● For the fifth consecutive game, all Partick Thistle appearances are attributed to Scottish-born players. It's the longest stretch since a run of 6-in-a-row from 11th January 2011 to 12th February 2011.
● Thistle go 8 competitive away games without a win at Stark's Park (2011 to date), the worst run since the H2H record (12) was set in 1927.
● The lack of a winning goal cost the club £150,000 in prize money, this being the difference between finishing second (£475,000) and fourth (£325,000).
● It's been a season of missed opportunities for Thistle as Dundee become the worst second tier champions in Scottish football history. The points-per-game ratio (1.75) of the Dens Park club falls below Ayr United's ratio of 1912-13 (1.808) when 3 pts per win are applied across all eras.
● For the first time since 1935. Queen's Park finish above Partick Thistle in the League. The two sides will now meet in the play-offs on Tuesday night at Firhill.
Kris Doolan finishes as the top Championship manager in terms of points earned per game. His total (1.85 ppg) is ahead of 2nd placed Gary Bowyer of Dundee (1.75 ppg). Doolan's predecessor, Ian McCall (1.43 ppg), was well off the pace this season in 7th. Paul Hartley (0.59 ppg) was an outstanding disaster, marooned at the bottom.

ongoing sequences:
● 5 competitive home games without defeat; 4th Mar 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 6 games; 26th Nov 2022 to 21st Jan 2023. Club-record: 24 games; 5th May 2001 to 17th Aug 2002.)
● 6 competitive games without defeat, 1st Apr 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 6 games, 18th Feb 2023 to 18th Mar 2023. Joint club-record: 16 games, 15th Nov 1975 to 21st Feb 1976 & 30th Sep 2000 to 13th Jan 2001.)

● 46 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: James Penrice - 51 games, 7th Sep 2019 to 10th Apr 2021. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

doolan.png

The real stand-out stat for me there is the Goals Against column. Doolan's Thistle has been drastically better at keeping it tight at the back than any of the other teams this season.

9 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

The real stand-out stat for me there is the Goals Against column. Doolan's Thistle has been drastically better at keeping it tight at the back than any of the other teams this season.

And (or But) 4 of those came in the last 2 away games.

13 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Especially notable considering we had plenty of injuries in the defence during his tenure so far.

Lost McAvoy fairly soon after being appointed, then lost Milne a few weeks later, and have missed Holt and Hodson at various points.

Would think Ayr would get the main stand rather than part of the Jackie Husband (which is what QP are getting) if we made it through. 

You won't get behind the goals, that's been home fans only for ten years with the odd exception of games vs Celtic where the board at the time moved us. 

Another interesting thing about those stats for me is the lack of managerial sackings across the division. Hadnt really clocked on that only ourselves and Cove changed managers, which is a bit surprising given the managerial merry-go-rounds you see in other divisions.

1 hour ago, North British 2 said:

If the Jags win the battle of Glasgow which stand will Super Ayr get ? Also does the main stand hold more than behind the goals ?

You’ve had the main stand for both visits this season, I think. You were definitely there for the most recent game. I think it used to hold about 2,500 - not sure if it is lower now, though, but will be close to 2,000 if the whole stand can be used.

48 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

You’ve had the main stand for both visits this season, I think. You were definitely there for the most recent game. I think it used to hold about 2,500 - not sure if it is lower now, though, but will be close to 2,000 if the whole stand can be used.

I may be wrong but i am sure i heard the last safety cert from GCC was for 2100 which is more than ample for Ayr and probably anyone in this division for a large scale game tbh.

28 minutes ago, chattyman said:

I may be wrong but i am sure i heard the last safety cert from GCC was for 2100 which is more than ample for Ayr and probably anyone in this division for a large scale game tbh.

Yeah, would be fine, as this would be the first leg of the tie. 

16 hours ago, AMMjag said:

It shows we'd likely have fared a good bit better by changing manager sooner - maybe after the draw away to Cove. That big an upturn in ppg with the same squad is a bit of a showing up for McCall.

I don't expect Doolan to sustain that over next season as preparing a pre-season and building a new squad with a likely reduced budget is a whole new challenge, but he's shown more than enough competence to take on the job.

I would want us to be collecting points around that rate, next season. 

There will be mitigating factors, but while we haven't been amazing, Doolan has installed a pragmatic side to our play, which has seen us pick up points in nearly every game. 

I think 2000 would be more or less what we would take on a Friday night kick off.  With it being the first leg etc.  Think there was about 1500 up at Falkirk for the Monday night game and with this being closer 2k would be my guess.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

In case anyone here doesn't venture to the "Misc" section, this lad just popped up with this cracker of a thread. 

He was on the wearethistle forum and left after a while...

Most of the post-QP updates are in place on the Archive, including three match video options for the first leg, home page news →

:detective:  SEVENTH TIME LUCKY

● The ever-unorthodox Partick Thistle FC were the first Scottish club to finish 4th and be promoted via play-offs back in 2006 (W16 D9 L11). To win promotion in 2023 (W16 D9 L11 - spooky!) they'll need to become the first again to do it at Premiership level.
● For the first time in season 2022-23, Thistle field the same starting eleven in three successive matches.
● It's 3 goals in the last 2 games at Firhill for Kyle Turner. 18 direct goal involvements for the season for the #6.
Jack McMillan nets his first goal since August, which also came against Queen's Park.
Kris Doolan's Jags concede in the opening 45 at Firhill for the very first time after 5 previous shut-outs.
● With his assists brace, it's now a brilliant 8 direct goal involvements in his last 6 games for the on-form Scott Tiffoney.
● It's 10 direct goal involvements for Aidan Fitzpatrick in 2022-23 (5 assists and 5 goals).
● The appearance of Lee Hodson, provider of the match-winning assist, breaks the run of five consecutive games in which all Partick Thistle appearances were attributed to Scotsmen.
Lee Hodson becomes the 19th Jag to register a competitive assist in 2022-23. There's been no higher spread in the 10 seasons that we've been recording assists data, the figure matching the tally of 2019-20.

● FINALLY… at the 7th attempt, 125 years after the first, Partick Thistle have their first-ever home win in a League play-off match.
● The rarely seen 4-3 win has only occurred on 4 occasions in nearly 40 years; vs. Queen's Park (2023), vs. Forfar Athletic (2008), vs. Alloa athletic (2005) & vs. Stranraer (2001).
● Thistle score 4 for the second game in a row versus Queen's Park, a feat last seen in 1946.
● These sides have went 43 years without a draw against each other, an unlikely 22-game run.
● There's never been a draw between Thistle and Owen Coyle as opposition manager. 5 Thistle wins have been offset by 10 defeats.
Kris Doolan's Jags remain unbeaten in Maryhill, now 6 games in. Such a run has only been bettered once in Thistle history - in 2013 when Alan Archibald began his managerial tenure brilliantly, going 11 unbeaten at Firhill.

ongoing sequences:
● 6 competitive home games without defeat; 4th Mar 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 7 games; 20th Mar 2021 to 29th Apr 2021. Club-record: 24 games; 5th May 2001 to 17th Aug 2002.)
● 7 competitive games without defeat, 1st Apr 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 9 games, 15th Oct 2021 to 4th Dec 2021. Joint club-record: 16 games, 15th Nov 1975 to 21st Feb 1976 & 30th Sep 2000 to 13th Jan 2001.)
● 47 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: James Penrice - 51 games, 7th Sep 2019 to 10th Apr 2021. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

First of all just want to send condolences to Kris Doolan and his family after his sad news in regards his Dad.

Well done on your result over Queens Park tonight and all the best against Ayr United, always liked Partick Thistle fans since following the Red Lichties home and away since the 1970's and have had a drink and a banter with a few of them over the years.

Had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Kris Doolan in your social club 2 weeks ago after you beat us at Firhill in fact if any of your was there it was me who took the mic off Gerry Britton and praised Kris for his one season at Gayfield he was a class person on and off the park, he made a point to come over to me after his interview to thank me = class. 

Anyway all the best from a Red Lichtie fan.

Smokies & Wine 36-0.

25 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

First of all just want to send condolences to Kris Doolan and his family after his sad news in regards his Dad.

Well done on your result over Queens Park tonight and all the best against Ayr United, always liked Partick Thistle fans since following the Red Lichties home and away since the 1970's and have had a drink and a banter with a few of them over the years.

Had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Kris Doolan in your social club 2 weeks ago after you beat us at Firhill in fact if any of your was there it was me who took the mic off Gerry Britton and praised Kris for his one season at Gayfield he was a class person on and off the park, he made a point to come over to me after his interview to thank me = class. 

Anyway all the best from a Red Lichtie fan.

Smokies & Wine 36-0.

You were an absolute gentleman that day hence the reason I shook your hand, your credit to your club & your supporters

10 hours ago, colliedug said:

You were an absolute gentleman that day hence the reason I shook your hand, your credit to your club & your supporters

Thank you for the kind words, on the train on the way back to Arbroath that day we all commented (although gutted we got beaten) we said a day out to PTFC was a great day and your Social Club is a great set up, what was also funny was i met a Thistle fan in there (George) who actually plays Walking Fitba back in Arbroath with me.

All the best and if you play like last night against Ayr Utd you will have a great chance to get through.

Smokies & Wine 36-0.