The Partick Thistle thread

11 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Planning permission to build there was refused years ago, don't think there's been any new plans since.

on that mention, i know there’s been a hell of a lot of water under the bridge since, but was that not under a deal that basically allowed low and her gang to cash in and f**k the club over, including an idea to knock the main stand down, and put flats and a pathetic medowbank style stand in place?

I’d assume that any such deals have been ripped up and your back to a simple situation of the club owning to ground and any rights to redevelopment?

11 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

on that mention, i know there’s been a hell of a lot of water under the bridge since, but was that not under a deal that basically allowed low and her gang to cash in and f**k the club over, including an idea to knock the main stand down, and put flats and a pathetic medowbank style stand in place?

I’d assume that any such deals have been ripped up and your back to a simple situation of the club owning to ground and any rights to redevelopment?

There's others such as @Ad Lib who are far more knowledgable about it than me but from my limited understanding the plans that were rejected were before Low and Weir were involved. It was former chairman David Beattie, Billy Allan and others who were directors in the club who bought the main stand and south end from the club which cleared the club's debt and they formed a company called Propco where they owned part and the club owned part so any profits would be split when the flats were built. They never were, the south end has sat empty since they bulldozed the terracing before any plans were approved so now it looks shite and then Weir bought back the land as part of the deal to buy the club before he died.

ETA the wee shite stand was to be built on the current south end if I remember correctly. Was essentially going to be a few rows that stretched along in front of whatever building was put up there.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

23 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

So... the history of Thistle on this is very complicated. But the tl;dr is the Club owns the ground in full and there are no immediate plans to redevelop any part of it.

Back in 2009 the Main Stand and The Bing were sold to Firhill Developments Ltd (a consortium of then board members including former chair David Beattie, other high net worth Thistle fans, and the Club itself). This secured a £1 million cash injection into the Club, roughly halving its then bank debt (and therefore slashing our then debt interest).

The investors in PropCo hoped to make their money back by getting planning permission for a mixed-use facility replacing the Main Stand and The Bing (small seated capacity, mainly commercial and residential provision otherwise). Planning permission was repeatedly sought but denied. So for ages it looked like it was a bum deal for the investors, as they'd never actually get their money back.

Along comes Colin Weir, who in 2019 proposes to buy both the majority shareholding in the Club (for fan ownership) and to buy back the Main Stand and The Bing and give it back to the Club. The latter was supposed to happen within 7 days, and then within months, but took almost 2.5 years to happen (it eventually did happen just before the end of the last financial year).

There were concerns that the Main Stand and The Bing might never return to the Club at all (remember, the Club owned half of PropCo, but never got any money from the sale as the other investors had a preference share arrangement) when 3BC kept breaking their promises. I'm also aware that *someone* engaged in exploratory work with architects to develop a proposal quite recently for the redevelopment of Firhill (think a Halo-style Kilmarnock thing) but it never got off the ground and the working capital that it would have needed would have been crazy.

1 hour ago, Fitbafollower said:

How many of current squad are out on contract for next season 

should thistle not be sorting some of squad for next season and avoid losing some to other clubs with a pre contract?

As far as I'm aware the out of contract list of senior players is:

Sneddon
Brownlie
Muirhead
Holt
Docherty
Bannigan
Tiffoney
Turner
Mullen
Smith

Holt is seemingly back off to Cyprus next season from posts on social media by Cumbernauld based folk i.e. Stewart MacGregor's mates, and hard to see Smith being here and Bannigan not being here next season regardless of what league we're in. 

Of the others Tiffoney and Turner are probably the two you'd take if we went up albeit they wouldn't be every week starters , the rest are fine at Championship level but if we stay down Doolan will presumably want his own players in and despite freeing up Holt's £10k per week wages or whatever that mad QoS guy said they were, the fact we're a bit skint means it might be a bit thinner quality wise next season

Edited by Fuctifano

You could look at the contract thing two ways 

1) We’re skint and can’t offer decent enough terms so none of them have signed on

2) Because we could be in either the 1st or 2nd tier, the plan was always to wait until the end of the season to decide for most of them. 

I think the latter is more unlikely, Tiffoney, Turner and Holt (appreciate rumours of him leaving anyway) should have been offered new deals months ago (maybe they were?)/ they all could offer something in the Premiership, and if we’re still in the championship they more than offer something. The rest probably bar  Bannigan I can understand waiting until the end of the season to see where we are, given his testimonial match is rather oddly before the summer and in the middle of the last game of the season and the beginning of the P/Os I suppose Bannigan leaving wouldn’t not be Doolan—esque and during a testimonial period, but I’d expect Stuart staying would suit both parties. 

Doolan will want his own players for sure but there’s a good number of the current squad who can operate well at the top end of the division, and we’ve particularly seen that recently under Doolan. 

I’d imagine there are still some uncertainties with the finances while we’re still in transition from Low’s mess to the new ownership model.

Until that settles down and the club have a better idea about what the budget will look like next season, we’re probably not in a position to be offering players new deals.

If it’s true that Holt is away back to Cyprus then that’s a big loss, but fair play to him.

40 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

A 3700+ crowd with only 300 away fans and live on free TV is bloody excellent, btw. 

I came in off the Nolly entrance, and noticed there was a big line for the ticket office. Not sure if that was general interest, or boosted by the £10 offer?

Either way, it would be good if we kept the offer for next week too.

Interesting that Danny Mullen mentioned that we now have a gameplan has made a difference, since Dools came in. 

Edited by jagfox

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

Whats the chat with Bannigan leaving?

Not heard anything, Would expect him to be at firhill next season unless he is being told he is surplus which would be surprising even with our cash flow issues.

If Holt’s away to Cyprus again then fair play to him, but that’s a big loss for us. The only others I can see maybe wanting away are Sneddon, who might want to be a definite number 1 somewhere, and Tiffoney, who’s the only one I could imagine a Premiership club taking a punt on. I’d get rid of Brownlie and Smith regardless of what League we’re in, and I can’t imagine any of the others getting better offers elsewhere, unless we’re as skint as rumoured and we’re offering them reduced wages.

11 defeats for both Thistle and Arbroath, yet one going for the title, 1 battling relegation, crazy League. Been a great weekend for Glasgow's finest, and most of the post-match updates are in place on our Archive with reports, videos and whatnot...

http://www.thethistlearchive.net/

:detective:  SECOND HALF BONANZA

● After 9 games, Kris Doolan's Jags have yet to concede a first half goal, and it's 10-in-a-row for the club overall.
● For the second time in his Thistle career Kevin Holt scores in back-to-back League games. Thistle have won all 8 League games in which the big defender has scored.
Jack McMillan becomes just the third Jag (after Higginbotham and Turner) to register double figures in competitive assists in any of the last 10 seasons.
Danny Mullen nets his 5th goal as a Jag and Thistle keep up their 100% win rate when he does so.
● With his 92nd minute strike, Kevin Holt scores Thistle's 200th competitive home goal versus Queen's Park.
● These sides have now went 43 years without a draw against each other, an unlikely 21-game run.
● It's 5 clean-sheets in the last 6 games for player-of-the-month David Mitchell who has yet to concede a goal at Firhill this year.
● Thistle score 4 second half goals at Firhill for the first time since 21st Februrary 2012 when they came from behind to win 4-2 at home to Ayr United in the League.
● Thistle are now joint-top scorers in this season's championship, alongside Queen's Park on 58 goals.
● Thistle had kept only 2 League clean-sheets in their first 23 games, but have registered 7 in just 9 games under Kris Doolan.
● Thistle had played Cove Rangers and Queen's Park 6 times in the League this season without a win, but have slaughtered both those clubs 9-0 on aggregate in just 7 days under Kris Doolan.

ongoing sequences:
● 42 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: James Penrice - 51 games, 7th Sep 2019 to 10th Apr 2021. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

17 minutes ago, The Thistle Archive said:

11 defeats for both Thistle and Arbroath, yet one going for the title, 1 battling relegation, crazy League. Been a great weekend for Glasgow's finest, and most of the post-match updates are in place on our Archive with reports, videos and whatnot...

http://www.thethistlearchive.net/

:detective:  SECOND HALF BONANZA

● After 9 games, Kris Doolan's Jags have yet to concede a first half goal, and it's 10-in-a-row for the club overall.
● For the second time in his Thistle career Kevin Holt scores in back-to-back League games. Thistle have won all 8 League games in which the big defender has scored.
Jack McMillan becomes just the third Jag (after Higginbotham and Turner) to register double figures in competitive assists in any of the last 10 seasons.
Danny Mullen nets his 5th goal as a Jag and Thistle keep up their 100% win rate when he does so.
● With his 92nd minute strike, Kevin Holt scores Thistle's 200th competitive home goal versus Queen's Park.
● These sides have now went 43 years without a draw against each other, an unlikely 21-game run.
● It's 5 clean-sheets in the last 6 games for player-of-the-month David Mitchell who has yet to concede a goal at Firhill this year.
● Thistle score 4 second half goals at Firhill for the first time since 21st Februrary 2012 when they came from behind to win 4-2 at home to Ayr United in the League.
● Thistle are now joint-top scorers in this season's championship, alongside Queen's Park on 58 goals.
● Thistle had kept only 2 League clean-sheets in their first 23 games, but have registered 7 in just 9 games under Kris Doolan.
● Thistle had played Cove Rangers and Queen's Park 6 times in the League this season without a win, but have slaughtered both those clubs 9-0 on aggregate in just 7 days under Kris Doolan.

ongoing sequences:
● 42 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: James Penrice - 51 games, 7th Sep 2019 to 10th Apr 2021. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

This is great reading as always TTA - the bolded bits tell a significant story.

Long may your spreadsheets continue to inform and educate us!!