The Partick Thistle thread

6 hours ago, Braesoyetts said:

That 313 games for Johnny Jackson is insane.  Reminds me a bit of Cal Ripken over here (baseball), who played in 2.131 consecutive games (162 a season in baseball) without a rest day or injury spell.  Does anyone know what the overall record in Scottish football is?  I know not every club is lucky to have such a great archive as we do, but just curious….

I wanted to know that myself a few years back, so went out of my way to properly research it. Johnny's the top man in league terms:

Most Consecutive Scottish League Appearances
258 - Johnny Jackson (Partick Thistle, GK) 28th August 1926 to 25th March 1933
251 - Doug Smith (Dundee Utd, CH) 19th February 1964 to 18th September 1971

On the 'first class' competitive front (query includes all SFL, SPL, SPFL, Scottish Cup, League Cup, Summer Cup, European, Drybrough Cup and Anglo-Scottish Cup matches) Johnny is still the top man in Scottish football history:

Most Consecutive Competitive Scottish Club Football Appearances
288 - Johnny Jackson (Partick Thistle, GK) 28th August 1926 to 25th March 1933
282 - Ally Shewan (Aberdeen, CH) 19th October 1963 to 23rd April 1969

14 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Best result of the weekend was Cove getting beaten. I had nightmares of being stuck in a league with Perth, Airdrie, Cove, Falkirk and Livingston as away days.

ye of little faith

On 29/04/2024 at 09:04, robphil said:

I'm sure young Andy will be fully aware that after the magnificent hungarians defeated Scotland 4-2 at Hampden in 1954, the great puskas had this to say about his grandad: "It was the most magnificent display of wing play I have ever seen..." Andy and his pals contributed to a wonderful atmosphere in hospitality on Saturday...

Aye, he might have mentioned it once or twice...

thanks Rob

23 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

I wanted to know that myself a few years back, so went out of my way to properly research it. Johnny's the top man in league terms:

Most Consecutive Scottish League Appearances
258 - Johnny Jackson (Partick Thistle, GK) 28th August 1926 to 25th March 1933
251 - Doug Smith (Dundee Utd, CH) 19th February 1964 to 18th September 1971

On the 'first class' competitive front (query includes all SFL, SPL, SPFL, Scottish Cup, League Cup, Summer Cup, European, Drybrough Cup and Anglo-Scottish Cup matches) Johnny is still the top man in Scottish football history:

Most Consecutive Competitive Scottish Club Football Appearances
288 - Johnny Jackson (Partick Thistle, GK) 28th August 1926 to 25th March 1933
282 - Ally Shewan (Aberdeen, CH) 19th October 1963 to 23rd April 1969

The more I look at the numbers, particularly the dates, the more remarkable it is.  Undoubtedly an advantage being a keeper, but just imagine playing more than six and a half years without missing a league or cup game - especially given the tackles that players (even keepers) were subjected to in those days.

The TJF pins give us a good excuse to push forward design ideas for our player profile pages as we strive for the perfect template that can be rolled out en masse. Please have a click around on Neil Duffy's page and see what you think... any feedback / critique here is welcome...

Neil Duffy →

neil-duffy-template.jpg

Imagine a few clubs will be looking at him, but Rumarn Burrell seems to have had a tremendous season with Cove, potential replacement for Adeloye assuming he's going back to his club. 

3 hours ago, thistledo said:

Imagine a few clubs will be looking at him, but Rumarn Burrell seems to have had a tremendous season with Cove, potential replacement for Adeloye assuming he's going back to his club. 

Adeloye is out of contract this summer. Personally would love to have him back for a season. Being on the bench might suit his injury recovery but would imagine his Swindon wages would be a good bit more than we can offer. 

2 minutes ago, BigMadMental said:

Adeloye is out of contract this summer. Personally would love to have him back for a season. Being on the bench might suit his injury recovery but would imagine his Swindon wages would be a good bit more than we can offer. 

He may have to wait until he's fit before another club even takes a shot on him? 

We must have paid a fair chunk of his Swindon wage. I think 40/50% is the usual kind of agreed amount.

I'd be more than happy to get him back if fit and we are still at Championship level. Not so sure on Premiership? (You have to dream).

38 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

As I recall, Adeloye was very keen to go down south when he was leaving Ayr so I would imagine he’ll stay down there again if he can.

Would absolutely take him back though. 

Was surprised to see him still cutting about up here, he was at the game last weekend. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Quite a season for Mr Graham. We all know what he really wants out of it though. 

I imagine scoring the goal that relegates Morton is high up on his bucket list.

Edited by Jacky1990

On 01/05/2024 at 09:46, Claudia Gentile said:

Quite a season for Mr Graham. We all know what he really wants out of it though. 

A UEFA pro coaching license?

1 hour ago, BigMadMental said:

What is it you are trying to say he wants out of it?

One eye on the future...even BBG cannae go on for ever .