The Partick Thistle thread

Kerr had a good game. Wasn’t particularly impressed by #6. #7 looked decent and scored after great through by Lyon. East looked a bit shaky. Would say they’re all worth at least another look.

Are we having a closed door game over the weekend to have another look as we don't have any other confirmed fixtures prior to first league cup game?

Nothing really of note in Doolan's paywalled part of interview, hopes to add another couple in the next week  ("we have things in place, they just take time") and happy with how the team and especially the young players played, didn't comment on last night's trialists specifically.

Edited by Fuctifano

Yeah, think the only player McCall signed in his second spell who had no experience of Scottish football was Akinola, which iirc was a recommendation from Kenny Moyes via his brother. 

Best trialist appearance I can think of was Juan Ramon Escalas in that bizarre game vs Fulham where they played a full strength team and we drew 1-1, was almost a case of making sure he signed a contract before he left the ground. Although Armand One looked great that day too. 

13 hours ago, IR1970 said:

Euan East ,Josh Kerr..Number 7 apparently Harrison Nee ex Coventry not sure of the other one.

Interesting few days East is a player that McCabe was apparently interested in, and possibly still is,  and Kerr who on his day has a touch of class about him...  although untested at Championship level, don't think he is that injury prone, it was just his hernia he was trying to manage got much worse, and playing through it for the team, during the COVID season..

Just now, Passionate said:

Interesting few days East is a player that McCabe was apparently interested in, and possibly still is,  and Kerr who on his day has a touch of class about him...  although untested at Championship level, don't think he is that injury prone, it was just his hernia he was trying to manage got much worse, and playing through it for the team, during the COVID season..

Just mentioned this on the Airdrie thread about Josh Kerr. A really good player on his day when we were in L1, but a career categorised by lots and lots of injuries. Classy ball playing defender, but he's 25 and the most senior games he's ever played in a season is 21, followed by 15. Both during his time with us.

That pass from James Lyon for the 2nd goal last night was sublime. 1st goal sort of typical of the moves we made a lot last season. Defence could’ve been better at the Kelty goal starting with the full back but Stevenson was playing out of position I think. 

McCall had a great summer transfer window, but there were caveats to that , the main one being given a budget we could not afford. 

We seem to be recruiting from a totally different market, with players from the LoI and National League down South.

Good to look at some younger players to supplement the experienced core of our squad.

Nothing to indicate we will challenge for the title, but also nothing to indicate bottom two either. 

As said, it is an interesting pre-season. Hopefully we get more hits than misses.

I guess the budget stuff wasn’t really McCall’s fault. His recruitment style could probably be categorised as quite lazy, but that he was ultimately pretty good at it.

Doolan’s approach is much more interesting, but it remains to be seen whether he’s actually any good at it or not. It’s a good laugh though. 

All that said, I unironically want a return to the Archie-era transfer policy of at least one Antonio German/Jason Banton style signing each window. Guys who’ll play about 12 minutes maximum for us. 

13 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I guess the budget stuff wasn’t really McCall’s fault. His recruitment style could probably be categorised as quite lazy, but that he was ultimately pretty good at it.

Doolan’s approach is much more interesting, but it remains to be seen whether he’s actually any good at it or not. It’s a good laugh though. 

All that said, I unironically want a return to the Archie-era transfer policy of at least one Antonio German/Jason Banton style signing each window. Guys who’ll play about 12 minutes maximum for us. 

I wonder how much money we wasted on the likes of German when we were in the too flight? Maybe not a fortune on a case by case basis but they must have e added up to a tidy sum?

As you say McCall had a pretty straightforward transfer policy. On one hand he hasn't wasted too many signings but he must have had some kind of idea the club was giving him a large budget? Anyway, water under the bridge.

There could be quite a few hits and misses from Doolan. Will be fun to see how it works out.

I noticed Paul McDonald and Kenny Arthur were still in situ. Kenny has been retained. Not sure if PMc is waiting for a new appointment before returning to the Academy?

Nothing against that kit specifically but bit of lack of originality when we do retro / reboot kits where players who wore it the first time are still young enough to be playing (just about in this case, Liam Buchanan is still going and Doolan could be if he hadn't retired early)

The third kit last year was a case in point, both Lawless and Muirhead played in it the first time round.

Still, minor gripes and I'm sure it will be a decent seller. O'Neills has been a definite upgrade from Joma.