The Partick Thistle thread

20 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I'm fairly certain from someone ITK we tried to sign Adeloye in the January window when he was at Ayr and McCall was throwing money around but Ayr knocked back the bid as it made more sense to keep him as both teams were still in play off hunt but obviously Doolan wasn't at the club at that stage. 

Maybe that's why Ayr made a bid for Graham this summer now they presumably have more money than us. 

Different play offs but aye I think you also made a bid for Muirhead as well. 

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Different play offs but aye I think you also made a bid for Muirhead as well. 

Fair point, had it in my head you'd been decent two seasons in a row but now remembered you only stayed up by beating us last day.

Same guy only seems to have knowledge of Ayr through his work but he was also the one that told me when we signed Muirhead last summer it was because Bullen insisted your players were all full time but we were able to let to him train PT. 

Just now, Fuctifano said:

Fair point, had it in my head you'd been decent two seasons in a row but now remembered you only stayed up by beating us last day.

Same guy only seems to have knowledge of Ayr through his work but he was also the one that told me when we signed Muirhead last summer it was because Bullen insisted your players were all full time but we were able to let to him train PT. 

Makes sense. I was quite happy we were able to offload Muirhead and Baird and in my eyes we upgraded on them with Musonda and Kirk. Think we perhaps offered Baird reduced terms as he wasn’t going to be a starter but wasn’t sure if that was the same with Muirhead. 

Fwiw McCall was quite happy to let certain players stay PT with us after we transitioned to FT. Stevie Bell was one and Jamie Adams flat out never trained. Just worked on his farm through the week and turned up on the Saturday match ready. 

Would take Adeloye 100%, would certainly strengthen us in a position we lack numbers in (we’d currently be in serious bother if Graham got injured). Still need at least 3 in before the Raith game IMO. Very concerning that we only have 2 CBs in the squad just now (including any academy players training with the first team). 

I did think any third striker would be a young loanee with Graham and Dowds ahead of them but if this goes through it would suggest Dowds being punted to me especially as Robinson can cover centre forward as well. 

While it would be a good signing, I'd say we definitely need two defenders, two wingers and a proper shit kicking midfielder that we haven't had since Osman became a hat salesman, Docherty has come closest. It's the last that worries me unless Stanway comes on a ton. 

If Dowds is free to a new home I’d take him. Really rated him when he was at Arbroath and thought he went right under the radar due to Nouble looking flashier. 

Did he not also have a ridiculous goals to minute ratio at the start of last season for Thistle?

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If Dowds is free to a new home I’d take him. Really rated him when he was at Arbroath and thought he went right under the radar due to Nouble looking flashier. 

Did he not also have a ridiculous goals to minute ratio at the start of last season for Thistle?

Yeah, I'm one of a decreasing minority that still thinks there is a player for this level there. He'd scored 7 goals by mid November last season despite not being a regular starter, the last being vs Kelty in the cup and he got injured scoring that goal.

He didn't score again after that barring a penalty shoot out winner in the cup vs dunfermline. 

Looks shot of confidence now and Doolan definitely didn't trust him in the playoffs, he only came on when the games vs QP and yourselves were safe and didn't get on at all vs County. 

If he is free to go I think most teams at this level outside Dundee Utd would be enquiring. 

What’s worried me most about Dowds hasn’t been the lack of goals - that’ll happen sometimes with strikers kicking about at this level - it’s been the deterioration if his general play. He doesn’t seem to be able to hold the ball up at all anymore, and promising moves seem to frequently break down when it comes to him.

It could all be a confidence thing, and I think he is probably worth persevering with on the basis that he’s been a very good player at this level before (albeit only for half a season). But if he isn’t scoring, he needs to be doing something else for the team, and he simply hasn’t been doing that recently. The offside goal against United was a shame as it was a really good finish, and might’ve helped him get some confidence back and kick on. 

In any case, if we were keeping him and adding Adeloye then they two with Graham is about as good as you could hope for in striking options, with Robinson having played there previously too. 

It’s difficult for any player to make an impact when they are sat on the bench 80-90% of the time and Dowds is no different .His match sharpness is obvious and can only be remedied by starting him from the get go ,however,due to Dools preferred formation and the talismatic Graham now Captain and lead strike threat it’s a difficult conundrum to solve .

Edited by I Clavdivs

As @oneteaminglasgow says, Dowds’ all round play has looked terrible for months now. It’s not just that he’s not scoring goals; he’s not doing anything useful in his appearances. More than happy to get shot of him at this point.

Danny Mullen was better in the ‘limited minutes as a replacement for Graham’ role last season, and I would expect Adeloye to be as well.

3 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Hope he is better than our last No 99🙄

There’s no chance of him being worse than that wee grass.

In all seriousness, he should’ve been told to choose a proper number. Having a number 99 kicking about it a nonsense.

Other than that, pleased with the signing.