The Partick Thistle thread

17 minutes ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

We would have 6 centre mids with McInroy’s addition so I highly doubt we’ll be signing another one.

Agree with that, I can’t see us signing another CM. Although, I do think we’re missing someone to break up play. I thought Shaun Byrne would be ideal for that but we need to now prioritise getting some defenders in and also another wide player.

Edit: we would have 7 CMs: Bannigan, Stanway, Lyon, Robinson, Williamson, Alston, McInroy

Edited by Reid

Interested to see how McInroy gets on here. He was outstanding at Airdrie, a great all round midfielder who scored a few great goals, and then seemed to carry that form into his spell at Ayr too. I wonder if he'll need a few weeks to get going again after not playing much at Kilmarnock but he's a player who improves pretty much every team in this league, so it's a great signing for Thistle. 

9 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

2 brilliant loans in the last few days, thought yous were skint tae

There's a difference between 'lost a lot of money last season due to a reckless budget authorised by a sham board' and being skint.

A substantial (for this level) amount of cash has come into the club this summer through a variety of methods, and in losing 4 or 5 good performers from last season I'd guess our playing budget has been reduced by a decent amount, even accounting for signing the players we have this summer.

19 minutes ago, DazzJag said:

Anyone that was at the Doolans Q&A at the Open Day, was there anything particularly interesting he touched on? 

Said McMillan will be back for Saturday if he trains on Thursday, which he's expected to do. Also that Robinson has needed injections to remove some fluid from his back (same scenario as Brian Graham at the end of 21/22), and that he won't be back for Saturday but hopefully back in the squad for Airdrie next week. He has no recurrence of previous injuries or niggles he's had in the past; it's purely his back.

At the time we were in talks with 7 players, and that he expects to sign 3 or 4 of them. 2 signings this week (1 of which we've seen already) and another 1 or 2 before the end of the window.

Also said he had a chat with the players about the penalty-taker situation vs Spartans, because it seems like Muirhead is the designated penalty taker but Graham took that one. Doolan wasn't making a big deal of it and did say that the only way you can get over missing a penalty is to score your next one, but I got the feeling he wasn't too impressed that the players (ie. Graham) went off script on who took it.

Not much else other than the generic stuff we've heard in previous interviews, eg. that the scouting is in a much better place than it was before he took over with scouts both up here and down south, and the "what's the point in a youth academy if you don't use it" line. No tough questions from the fans, lots of asking who the best player he's ever played against is and things of that nature.

14 minutes ago, DontForgetToBringATaouil said:

It’s rumoured on Hearts forum Jambos Kickback that we are set to loan centre back Lewis Neilson to you on loan.

Is he likely to get regular game time straight away or will he have to bide his time?

Heard him linked with Dunfermline as well

26 minutes ago, DontForgetToBringATaouil said:

It’s rumoured on Hearts forum Jambos Kickback that we are set to let centre back Lewis Neilson join you on loan.

Is he likely to get regular game time straight away or will he have to bide his time?

We only have 2 CBs in the squad at the moment, so it’s definitely plausible he could get regular game time with us if that rumour proves to be correct.

Good signing on paper but with the previously noted concern we're stocking up on centre mids at the expense of other positions, can only assume either Lyon or Stanway is going on loan to a L1 team for the first half of the season. Diack and Turay as 4th and 5th choice centre forwards will probably go out on loan to a lower level.

Centre half, full back, and winger before the window closes and that should be it, if we can get one of the defenders in before Saturday I think we'll be on track.

On 26/06/2023 at 13:34, R&Y99 said:

I don’t think it’s 100% concrete but I was told we are trying to get McInroy on loan from Killie. Same person who said this had mentioned Williams’ name early last week before it had been mentioned on here/twitter, so I’m hoping they’re correct again.

Took quite a bit longer than I was originally told but happy to see I wasn’t being fed rubbish.
Next name is apparently Lewis Neilson. 

13 hours ago, DontForgetToBringATaouil said:

It’s rumoured on Hearts forum Jambos Kickback that we are set to let centre back Lewis Neilson join you on loan.

Depends if he's any good. Is he any good? 

Lewis Neilson would be a good signing. I seem to recall he’s played at right back a wee bit as well, so provides cover there.

Muirhead is usually good for a suspension or two a season, and Williams will likely need spells out the team with it being his first real season playing professional football, so definitely will get opportunities to play if he comes in.

Would be quite pleased to see Lyon and/or Stanway heading to League One for 6 months. They’ve both looked good in the League cup but I don’t think they’re quite ready to be regulars for us, and regular game time at Montrose or the like would be ideal. Wouldn’t be remotely surprised to see Turay or Diack heading to the Lowland league for the season.