The Partick Thistle thread

Just now, Pie Of The Month said:

The 'why I hate Thistle' thread on the Morton forum will be buzzing today.

Likes flies around a dog's turd. 

You'd think they would have more things to worry about closer to home?

Deflection is a release for their angst I suppose.

8 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

They’re still trying to work out how much we’re paying George Oakley. 

31 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

I'm a bit conflicted over another striker as Diack probably deserves a chance there

I think Diack will go on to be a very similar style of player to Graham, so I’d be keen to bring in someone who offers something a bit different. Some pace ideally I suppose. We’ll need three strikers in the squad regardless as Graham is another year older and usually good for a suspension or two every season anyway. 

16 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Quite a sad prospect to think that last night was probably the highlight of Greenock fans’ season.

They certainly didn’t get many from their own team.

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

He’s had an offer on the table pretty much all season, apparently. Clearly waiting for something better to appear, but based on his performances for the majority of the 2024 so far I’m not sure that’ll be coming. And if he’s already signed elsewhere then I’m not sure the new club will be entirely thrilled about that prospect right now…

Reflecting on last night, we’re in a much, much better place than we were a year ago. There are a few holes in the team, but the majority of a competent starting lineup is in place and I think Doolan will be much better placed to fill those vacant spots now that he’s had a year of learning how the whole management deal works.

—————— [NEW GK]
[NEW RB] - McBeth - O’Reilly - Milne
————— Stanway - Bannigan
——[NEW RW] - Robinson - Fitzpatrick
——————— Graham

I believe we also have Williams and some of the younger lads like Mackenzie and Diack under contract as squad depth, but I wonder if we might see them loaned out next year. Lawless is still under contract as well but it seems likely he’ll miss a significant portion of next season, so haven’t included him in the provisional lineup.

It’ll be interesting to see if Doolan will use McBeth as a CB or a CM. I’d be fine with either, and I think with a full preseason behind him he’ll be a top player for us next year.

So aye, new GK, RB, RW, a backup striker and probably a couple of new CMs (one of them being Robbie Crawford).

Ultimately, things are looking incredibly positive right now. The club appear to be on a much more stable financial footing and have a fanbase which is rejuvenated and growing; I’m convinced we’ll smash the 3k season ticket barrier relatively quickly again as soon as they’re on sale, which will hopefully give Doolan some more cash to play with.

I’d also like us to add another starting centre half to allow us to push McBeth forward. Either that or sign a good starting defensive midfielder, as I think we’ve really lacked that since Docherty left.

I think Williams will stay as a utility man for cover across the back 4, and I think Ngwenya has show enough to be offered a contract as cover for a number of positions too.

Diack will need to be handled carefully as he has been impressive and is a great prospect but he’ll struggle for minutes in his position with Graham ahead of him. If we can get bodies in as adequate cover for Graham I wouldn’t be opposed to loaning Diack out to a team who’d use him as their starting striker.

Just now, Nightmare said:

Quite a sad prospect to think that last night was probably the highlight of Greenock fans’ season.

I'm surprised they even know what a promotion playoff is. 

The won we won up at Peterhead was hilarious.

Have they even bothered to be in one since then?

Just now, Claudia Gentile said:

Great work by Thistle to get the ball rolling but looks like Ayr have jumped in with both feet for his signing.

Think Brown just wanted to make sure we absolutely have a competent striker signed up for this season. Thistle don’t need him as much given you have Graham. 

I’ve said it before but if you have a decent striker in this league your chances of going down are much slimmer. 

1 minute ago, Nightmare said:

The 16 game unbeaten run just about edges it, but Partick crashing out and their fans spending the following day talking about Morton is also fairly enjoyable. Best of luck next year. 

2 minutes ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

I’d also like us to add another starting centre half to allow us to push McBeth forward. Either that or sign a good starting defensive midfielder, as I think we’ve really lacked that since Docherty left.

Agreed. I was just trying to fill a squad from the players we have under contract in that graphic above, but I actually think there’s probably a higher chance we play McBeth at DM than CB; thats what he was signed for originally.

He can clearly do either successfully, but DM feels like the bigger need and I think ultimately that will suit McBeth better.

5 minutes ago, Chicken Soup said:

The 16 game unbeaten run just about edges it, but Partick crashing out and their fans spending the following day talking about Morton is also fairly enjoyable. Best of luck next year. 

Don't forget that time you almost got within a few points of your Maryhill masters. 

Good Times for the Ton.

Now off you pop.

That bucket of water won't get from the well back to the favella by itself.

Just now, Jaggy McJagface said:

I heard SoD is out of contract at Motherwell, do we think there is any chance of him dropping down a level or will he have another top flight club sniffing around him?

I think he'll probably sort something out with Motherwell.

I think his days as a rampaging right back are behind him so I don't see where he would slot in at Firhill.

Posted (edited)

I've thought for a while with McInroy being from Fife he'd end up at one of those two clubs or Falkirk next year. Him not getting on last night might be a clue to his future similar to how Dowds wasn't used / trusted in Dingwall.

Definitely need two wingers as well, anything we get from Lawless from here on is a bonus, he'll be pushing 34 and probably close to a year out if / when he gets back. 

Edited by Fuctifano

2 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I've thought for a while with McInroy being from Fife he'd end up at one of those two clubs or Falkirk next year. Him not getting on last night might be a clue to his future similar to how Dowds wasn't used / trusted in Dingwall.

Is Dowds still under contract next season,  he seems to have been ok at Ayr although most of his goals have came against us,  surprised eh,  when you see the crazy goals we lose,  2 at least in the playoffs were avoidable due to simple marking or awareness..

Just now, Passionate said:

Is Dowds still under contract next season,  he seems to have been ok at Ayr although most of his goals have came against us,  surprised eh,  when you see the crazy goals we lose,  2 at least in the playoffs were avoidable due to simple marking or awareness..

No, he's out of contract. Ayr fans seem to think he's not staying there either hence them signing Oakley, maybe away down South or something.