The Partick Thistle thread

6 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

I saw on WAT that we had two new bodies in training on Monday and Tuesday. One known to Jags fans and one who wasn't. Apparently one is a goalkeeper.

Ridgers?

That would be the epitome of a “meh” signing.

10 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

If it’s Ridgers, then it’ll mean Mitchell as number 1. However, I would say Ridgers is probably more reliable if he has to come in for the odd game than Sneddon.

Still not overly enamoured with it though. 

That seems a reasonable analysis.

Ridgers seemed okay during the league and Caley didnt lose to many goals. He did seem to have a few clangers in the playoffs but Sneddon had his fair share too.

4 minutes ago, BigMadMental said:

Would probably rather a good experienced keeper as backup instead of a young loan signing. 

Probably the best you will find in the market if that is what we are after.

Again I'd agree with that, taking a step back to when we last won this tier we had an interesting time with keepers especially when Fox got injured. Was there a Graham Smith and a Graeme Smith as well as Jack Daniels or was it Glenn, getting a shutout on the last game of the season at Dumbarton?

A capable keeper is good enough for this league, imo, if the defence and the general defending from front to back is up to scratch.

4 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Again I'd agree with that, taking a step back to when we last won this tier we had an interesting time with keepers especially when Fox got injured. Was there a Graham Smith and a Graeme Smith as well as Jack Daniels or was it Glenn, getting a shutout on the last game of the season at Dumbarton?

A capable keeper is good enough for this league, imo, if the defence and the general defending from front to back is up to scratch.

I remember Graeme Smith chucking the ball in at Hamilton that season. Thankfully we didn't see too much of him that season.

My main issue with signing Mark Ridgers is that it pretty much confirms that David Mitchell is the undisputed number one keeper, and I was really hoping we could do better than that. Not particularly convinced Ridgers is a better option than Sneddon at this point in their careers either, or ever really has been. But if he's a backup I suppose it's not the end of the world.

I would have liked a clean break at keeper after last season. Retaining Mitchell and then signing someone who previously stunk the joint out for us (albeit a long time ago now) just isn't very inspiring.

seeing what it out there just now, just not sure we were ever going to be able to get someone “better” than Mitchell at this level, unless we went with someone inexperienced or untested. 

it’s a risk in a season where we are genuinely going to push to win the league. 

could end up a disaster. Mitchell on the whole has been a good keeper for us and with his rapport with the defence, should see us well through the season. Ultimately then the search begins for a top flight keeper, if we go up. 

Mitchell is fine. He’s okay but not brilliant.

I would be fairly disappointed if Ridgers does get signed as a backup because every other signing Doolan has made seems to have been with the aim of improving the first xi.

If we do go up then we’ll need to sign a number 1 next summer as a matter of priority because Mitchell is probably not good enough for the top flight.

3 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

I saw on WAT that we had two new bodies in training on Monday and Tuesday. One known to Jags fans and one who wasn't. Apparently one is a goalkeeper.

I wonder if Kerr McIroy could be the one that is known, to replace Alston. He's not got a new club yet.

11 minutes ago, jagsfan2014 said:

I wonder if Kerr McIroy could be the one that is known, to replace Alston. He's not got a new club yet.

I thought McInroy was decent but we are pretty stacked at centre mid now, no point wasting what’s left of the budget for another when we are crying out for a right back and keeper.

We were supposedly looking at that Leicester boy and had the big 6ft6 lad on trial too. If they see Ridgers as a better option then fair enough and there can’t be many good goalkeepers on the market.

Mitchell and Ridgers aren’t the most inspiring of goalkeepers but, from the other Championship clubs, who would you take? Dabrowski excluded.

10 minutes ago, Smurph said:

We were supposedly looking at that Leicester boy and had the big 6ft6 lad on trial too. If they see Ridgers as a better option then fair enough and there can’t be many good goalkeepers on the market.

Mitchell and Ridgers aren’t the most inspiring of goalkeepers but, from the other Championship clubs, who would you take? Dabrowski excluded.

Ryan Mullen, but he is happy with Morton by the looks of things.

19 minutes ago, Smurph said:

8 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

Ryan Mullen, but he is happy with Morton by the looks of things.

He was one that sprung to mind for me.

Not sure about the keeper at Livi as not seen much of them and not sure if their regular keeper was playing in the cup game.

Dunfermline have Mehmet so that's a strong no for me.

Falkirk? Sneddon we know about and have moved on. Hogarth I don't know much about but probably a no on legacy bias as I remember his Dad dropping a few clangers.

Ayr? - no idea 

Hamilton? - no idea

Queen's Park - Ferrie seems a solid option for this level.

Airdrie? - think they have a young guy from Hibs? No idea apart from that.

Rovers - Dabrowski is one of the best in the leagues but still has weaknesses.

TL;DR If no Dabrowski, Ferrie or Mullen but not 100% on any at this level. Mitchell is probably somewhere behind those three but far from the worst in the league.

Edited by Claudia Gentile

42 minutes ago, jagsfan2014 said:

Personally I don't think we'll be back in for him.

Talented but could be inconsistent or drop right out of games. 

1 minute ago, Claudia Gentile said:

He was one that sprung to mind for me.

Not sure about the keeper at Livi as not seen much of them and not sure if their regular keeper was playing in the cup game.

Dunfermline have Mehmet so that's a strong know for me.

Falkirk? Sneddon we know about and have moved on. Hogarth I don't know much about but probably a no on legacy bias as u remember his Dad dropping a few clangers.

Ayr? - no idea 

Hamilton? - no idea

Queen's Park - Ferrie seems a solid option for this level.

Airdrie? - think they have a young guy from Hibs? No idea apart from that.

Rovers - Dabrowski is one of the best in the leagues but still has weaknesses.

TL;DR If no Dabrowski, Ferrie or Mullen but not 100% on any at this level. Mitchell is probably somewhere behind those three but far from the worst in the league.

Big Kev and Ferrie are very good.  I personally love goalies who are characters so right up my street.

9 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Ayr? - no idea 

Hamilton? - no idea

Ayr have that Harry Stone who didn’t exactly look great for us, albeit a couple of years ago, but is still highly rated by Hearts.

Hamilton have that English lad who was at Ayr last season - Albinston?

I’d probably, at this point, take Mitchell over either of them, with the caveat that I think at some point Stone will be a better keeper, but I’m not sure if he is yet.