The Partick Thistle thread

Far too many folk getting their knickers in a twist on this thread, we're still plenty of weeks away from the season starting and have most of the key players who got us to 8th place still at the club.

Jeezo.

Great news. At what point should we get our knickers in a twist? How long do we leave it? Is it before or after you tell us that the league starting doesn't matter because the window`s open until the end of August.

Great news. At what point should we get our knickers in a twist? How long do we leave it? Is it before or after you tell us that the league starting doesn't matter because the window`s open until the end of August.

Maybe once the window closes and we haven't brought anyone else in you can worry. If the league were to start tommorow we could field a decent starting 11, with Elliot filing in at RB. As it stands the league doesn't start tommorow and we have a few weeks to bring in a couple players.

No he isn't. He's second choice.

Thought Gallacher would be 2nd choice again and Scully would go on loan. Surely a season on loan to, say, a Championship club would be more beneficial than spending the season on the bench?

If we sign Miller at right-back, and I have a feeling we will, then we're only looking at signing one other starter (striker) and then one or two other squad players. So it's not that big a deal - Doolan's good enough to start at this level anyway, it'd just be nice to bring in someone of similar/better quality.

It is a bit of a pain in the arse waiting around for signings when you see other clubs, like County and Killie, making decent acquisitions early doors. Not worth getting too worried about though.

Thought Gallacher would be 2nd choice again and Scully would go on loan. Surely a season on loan to, say, a Championship club would be more beneficial than spending the season on the bench?

The squad numbers allocated give the impression Scully is second choice. I don't think AA knew his number 1 goalie until the closing stages of the Dumbarton closed door game.

Dan Seaborne signed two days before Thistle's season started and had an immediate impact.

It's arguably better to sign late on and let a player have a full pre-season with the club he's coming from, than sign someone mid-way through when they're in between regimes.

As Thistle have one of the smaller budgets in the league, they will find better value closer to the window closing. They're not going to be relegated by 1 September. It's worked before.

I'm sure some will be reassured to learn that Scott Fox had a less than favourable pre-season debut (snatching badly at his kicking, letting in a goal low at his near post), then seemingly conceded a pen in his other game with a clumsy challenge. The comments about his wage and accommodation are scarcely believable though.

I'm sure some will be reassured to learn that Scott Fox had a less than favourable pre-season debut (snatching badly at his kicking, letting in a goal low at his near post), then seemingly conceded a pen in his other game with a clumsy challenge.

No surprise. He's always been poor at his near post and, being a sh*tebag, will quite often dive into challenges feet-first rather than putting his hands and head where there's the potential for a bit of pain.

Dropping him in favour of Gallacher arguably led to Premiership survival in 2014/15.

Edited by Nizzy

Apart from another forward I don't see us making a signing outwith the signings and promotions made so far. Cerny > Fox. Callum Booth is Mr Dependable. Amoo seems a bit of a baller. Gary Miller will be a decent addition. Sean Welsh is fit again so we have a pretty settled squad.

I'd prefer another experienced centre back as Seaborne can be rash and his ommission from the first team squad is a bit of a concern. I also thought Fré and Conrad were a pretty solid partnership with Osman and Bannigan sitting in front of them.

If we get a decent crowd for the Celtic game I can see us get at least one fresh addition to the squad. Overall I am impressed with our squad over the preseason. I'd rather this than having to rebuild a squad a la County, Killie or Motherwell.

Source: My own personal opinion.

I'm sure some will be reassured to learn that Scott Fox had a less than favourable pre-season debut (snatching badly at his kicking, letting in a goal low at his near post), then seemingly conceded a pen in his other game with a clumsy challenge.

This is pleasing, however its typical Scott Fox. Was it Dundee away on the second game of the season where he got sent off for a clumsy challenge? Fox is a great shot-stopper for shots that come straight at him but every time the ball come anywhere close to his near post he shits himself.

Also has a tendency to go walkabout when balls are played back to him and a striker is charging towards him. Thinks he's more skilful than he actually is and usually ends up booting it into the stands.

I'll be absolutely amazed if we don't sign Miller, given he's quite obviously good enough for the league and I would hope that Archie is already in talks with him.

That would leave a striker being the main priority, as a good but unspectacular Doolan, a completely untested at this level Leyden and an out of position Stevenson simply isn't good enough.

That plus a couple of squad players (basically cover for full backs or attacking midfield) and we'd be more or less set.

This is pleasing, however its typical Scott Fox. Was it Dundee away on the second game of the season where he got sent off for a clumsy challenge? Fox is a great shot-stopper for shots that come straight at him but every time the ball come anywhere close to his near post he shits himself.

Also has a tendency to go walkabout when balls are played back to him and a striker is charging towards him. Thinks he's more skilful than he actually is and usually ends up booting it into the stands.

He got sent off for a daft slap at Paul McGowan.

The penalty was Seaborne on McPake.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

Is Leyden not a midfielder now? I never see the development squad but that seems to be the story from reports. The lesser-spotted Chris Duggan would probably be our 2nd choice striker (tho in reality Stevo would play there before him).

Miller's decent enough, not as good as SOD but would do a job. I'd hope we sign him rather than him being this year's Darren Barr and leaving us scrabbling for a RB or shoving Christie in there .

I’ve said earlier, my concern isn’t squad depth as such because I’ve no issue with guys like Lindsay, Hendry, and Wilson replacing Balatoni, BRE, and Craigen.

My concern is that we lost 4 guys who were first picks from the first XI, we’ve replaced 2 of them- Cerny an improvement and Amoo looks to be someone we targeted and got which makes me reasonably optimistic about him, Miller looks like being 3, which leaves us with a striker to get. I’d rather it was someone with pace, if we want an immobile target man who is quite good in the air and with the ball at his feet then we can use Stevenson, but it’s obviously not his best role.

I don't want to hate on him for a number of reasons, but getting rid of two similar-level goalkeepers and bringing Fox in surprised me; what he's done so far hasn't.

He's probably better than Brown and Reguero to be fair but, as others have said, he's awful at stopping shots at his near post and letting them in under his legs. I'm sure he let in a couple of goals like that in our last couple games against County.

I'll be absolutely amazed if we don't sign Miller, given he's quite obviously good enough for the league and I would hope that Archie is already in talks with him.

That would leave a striker being the main priority, as a good but unspectacular Doolan, a completely untested at this level Leyden and an out of position Stevenson simply isn't good enough.

That plus a couple of squad players (basically cover for full backs or attacking midfield) and we'd be more or less set.

Like everyone else, I'm expecting Miller to sign soon unless his wage demands are a problem. It seems that a new striker is the priority, especially as Duggan appears to have left. If funds are very limited, Elliott can cover again at full-back.

Matthew McInally and James Penrice are very young full-backs but highly regarded. McInally can play on the wing too and scored a hat-trick against the Accies u20s. Perhaps they will get a chance sooner rather than later.