The Partick Thistle thread

Hamilton and Dundee were put out by worse teams than Falkirk, shit happens. A couple players should be in by next week, apparently we are signing an attacker who Hamilton were after. Hopefully a creative player as Amoo is just mince. The fullback we bring in better be able to get forward, as a few seasons at St Johnstone have killed whatever attacking abilities Miller possessed.

Edited by Red 'N Yellow

It’s frightening how toothless we are- between the Hamilton, Celtic, Hearts, and Falkirk games I make it that we’ve created 2 good chances –where we should have scored- from open play, both for Pogba (1 vs Celtic and 1 last night).

Wasn’t at ICT but from the highlights the two best shots were from outside the box, and the one game where we did create a decent number of chances in the first half hour vs Killie (and that’s no great shakes given their other defensive performances) we were only able to take one.

Last night was particularly grim, the first half we just played it so slowly in front of Falkirk they were able to keep us at arm’s length early. Second half we humped it long to Pogba, and even though he won more headers than he lost we probably only won 5% of the second balls. None of our remaining creative players (Lawless, Stevenson, Fraser) have got going this season and Amoo… not writing him off totally yet but the initial signs are very, very bad.

Not as worried about the defence yet, probably need to see whether Hendry stays or goes but due to injury / suspension we’ve played 4 combinations at centre half so far and some stability there would be nice.

Pogba seems to be getting praised for last night quite readily. Sure he won lots of headers, but most of them just got nutted into nothing areas. I know there's not much you can do when all you're getting are lumped balls forward in your general direction, but he hardly looked a world beater.

Pogba seems to be getting praised for last night quite readily. Sure he won lots of headers, but most of them just got nutted into nothing areas. I know there's not much you can do when all you're getting are lumped balls forward in your general direction, but he hardly looked a world beater.

One of the problems we have at the moment is lack of support for the strikers. Pogba and Doolan could win a header from a punt up the park but no-one is there to pass to, there's a gap between our midfield and strikers. At times last night Gary Fraser was playing so deep he was playing as part of a back 5.

Fraser's (usually) got a terrific range of passing, which is why he drops so deep, but he's also got a fierce shot on him. For me, he would probably be best suited to playing further up the pitch as he doesn't offer enough sitting next to Osman. I think his game probably suits a 5-3-2, which we'll almost never play. He's played really well for us at times but unless he adjusts into the attacking midfield role, there's a danger he won't reach his full potential, at us anyway.

Fear the worst vs. Aberdeen but I'll head along anyway. Amoo needs to make an impression fast.

We seem to be lacking:

a) A settled formation

b) Confidence

c) Consistency

d) Creativity

e) Leadership

f) Full backs

g) a link between midfield and the #9/ #99

h) passion

i) a game plan

j) self belief

k) pace

l) ability to create chances from set pieces, especially corners

m) ability to defend at set pieces, especially corners

n) Jimmy Craigen and Christie Elliott :(

We do have:

a) a better goalkeeper 8)

Edited by Callum Booth

We seem to be lacking:

a) A settled formation

b) Confidence

c) Consistency

d) Creativity

e) Leadership

f) Full backs

g) a link between midfield and the #9/ #99

h) passion

i) a game plan

j) self belief

We do have:

a) a better goalkeeper 8)

Cerny does look like he's wondering why he came here though. Wonderful goalkeeper, but some of the mistakes the players in front of him have made have left him rightly raging.

I think we looked pretty dreadful with 2 up front, although I guess it'll take an understanding being built up between 9 and 99. We should not be playing that system long enough to build that up though IMO, just need to get players up quicker to support whoever is playing up front. That seems to be our biggest problem at the moment. We're just so ponderous.

We do seem to lake pace through out the team. There is very little support from the full back areas. Booth has been poor in the last couple of games. Miller has been poor overall too.

It was soul destroying at times last night when we broke and the man furthest forward with the ball was Stevo.

We were totally pedestrian at times.

Hamilton and Dundee were put out by worse teams than Falkirk, shit happens. A couple players should be in by next week, apparently we are signing an attacker who Hamilton were after. Hopefully a creative player as Amoo is just mince. The fullback we bring in better be able to get forward, as a few seasons at St Johnstone have killed whatever attacking abilities Miller possessed.

I saw absolutely no attack minded attributes in Miller's game at all tbh. When he did get forward, which was grudgingly most of the time, his crossing was terrible. Much better defensively than he ever was going forward for us.

Booth was poor last night but so was everyone else. Not sure why on the match thread people are suddenly claiming he's shite. He bombs up and down the wing and constantly looks to get the ball forward and attack. Worked his arse off in the Kilmarnock game trying to push forward even with a man down.

I saw absolutely no attack minded attributes in Miller's game at all tbh. When he did get forward, which was grudgingly most of the time, his crossing was terrible. Much better defensively than he ever was going forward for us.

Thought he was more attacking at County but maybe I'm wrong. He would be fine in games where we need to stay tight at the back but the way we play means we need our FBs to overlap on the wings, Miller barely gets beyond the half way line with the ball so he's not ideal for us.

Booth was poor last night but so was everyone else. Not sure why on the match thread people are suddenly claiming he's shite. He bombs up and down the wing and constantly looks to get the ball forward and attack. Worked his arse off in the Kilmarnock game trying to push forward even with a man down. Thought he was more attacking at County but maybe I'm wrong. He would be fine in games where we need to stay tight at the back but the way we play means we need our FBs to overlap on the wings, Miller barely gets beyond the half way line with the ball so he's not ideal for us.

County fans told us the exact same thing - I think they may even have said he was better going forward than he was defensively. I found the opposite to be true. Never let us down at the back (although he was pretty suspect at centre half) but didn't give us much going forward. Mackay was, probably still is tbh, stronger in both departments.

Where's all this patter about Hendry going to Everton coming from? The lad's played like 3 games for us, has played hardly any senior football, had a decent hour at Hamilton and a howler against Celtic. I'm sure he'll do fine at this level in time, but he's hardly the next Roberto Carlos.

The player we are missing the most this season is Stephen O'Donnell.

The pace and out-ball he offered, as well as a decent cross on him, was a huge part of what made the 4-2-3-1 formation work. Without the full-backs pulling their full-backs away from the action, the players just off the striker have absolutely no time and space on the ball. That's slowing everything down and putting more pressure on the deep midfield to do a worldy just to create chances and leaves the striker totally isolated.

Never mind Higginbotham. Decent player but replaceable (though on recent showings, Amoo is not the man to do it and even McDaid is a better option). It's the Speedy Gonzales full-backs we need.