The Partick Thistle thread

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Still mad to me that we signed guys from Liverpool, West Ham and Barcelona in the same season, and they managed about 45 minutes of football for us between them.

Was it George Moncur that spent his whole time tweeting about god? 

Yes 🙏

18 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Sneddon really, really needs to take this chance if he’s ever going to be our undisputed number one. 

🤞Hope he can grab the opportunity with both hands...

Looks like re-signing him was a prescient move, on the face of it.

On 25/08/2023 at 11:24, Fuctifano said:

Inspired by the discussion on here about players signed from down South, and -crucially- my work's IT systems being goosed this morning leaving me hee haw to do... I went through all the players we've signed since 2013-14 (when detailed Thistle Archive stats available but coincides neatly with start of our last Premiership spell) who had never played in Scotland before signing for Thistle and were signed from a club outside Scotland (so no Juan Alegria / Lee O'Connor etc).

Also put in where are they now.  I'll put it in a spoiler as it's quite big, the thing that stuck out was how many of them chucked it at a relatively young age.

The clickbait is "The one playing in Austrian Tier 4 will shock you!!!"

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.579a7da135ee6c9744b8f2609940c9d5.png

The obvious standout is how much teams obviously have to use that market when they're in the Premiership as there's a smaller pool of players in Scotland who are good enough and how much McCall liked players he knew (and loans from Ibrox) rather than unknowns

Good list. Surprised to see Niall Known retired so early. I wonder if it was injury or simply a lack of desire.

It honestly used to do my head in that we signed so many players from down south. Our scouting at teams seemed lazy and based entirely from YouTube highlights. Some utter gubbins on that list.

5 hours ago, velo army said:

Good list. Surprised to see Niall Known retired so early. I wonder if it was injury or simply a lack of desire.

It honestly used to do my head in that we signed so many players from down south. Our scouting at teams seemed lazy and based entirely from YouTube highlights. Some utter gubbins on that list.

We will need to see if this scouting system is better or just the same as the jury is very much out on whether Williams or McDonald are any good.

Im not counting Adeloye because that wasn’t a scouting- it was a no brainier to sign him - we knew he had already been excellent in the Scottish championship anyway 

15 hours ago, jagfox said:

Dools said Mitchell's injury is tendon related rather than a fracture, which is good news.

He suggested he may be out 2-3 weeks, rather than 3 months.

Glad I got the 3 months wrong, but to be fair Sneds had a decent game yesterday 

Dowds not even on the bench yesterday, could he be moved on to allow one more player in? 

Also assume the usual thing where lower league clubs can still sign players on loan from other Scottish clubs for an extra month or so is in place again this season? 

On 26/08/2023 at 20:09, third lanark said:

We will need to see if this scouting system is better or just the same as the jury is very much out on whether Williams or McDonald are any good.

Im not counting Adeloye because that wasn’t a scouting- it was a no brainier to sign him - we knew he had already been excellent in the Scottish championship anyway 

Why are you judging the scouting system on just the English signings? As I understand it the network covers both England and Scotland, isn't that what Dools said?

Looks to me like Williams, Adeloye and McDonald are back ups to starters, Neilson and McInroy need to be judged too...perhaps more so as more likely starters.

27 minutes ago, SmithyJag said:

Why are you judging the scouting system on just the English signings? As I understand it the network covers both England and Scotland, isn't that what Dools said?

Looks to me like Williams, Adeloye and McDonald are back ups to starters, Neilson and McInroy need to be judged too...perhaps more so as more likely starters.

I think it’s obvious We have a different scouting system for signings from England.  I was responding to the poster who was talking about the scouts system we used in England and he hadn’t been impressed with it if you read the comments properly.

Presumably we do have a scouting system up here- which is not the same as down south.

And I don’t think Williams was signed to be back up in the first place as he was starting every game bar this weekend where he has now either been dropped or is injured..  Adeloye possibly not either as backup, maybe just getting fitness levels up.

6 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Dowds not even on the bench yesterday, could he be moved on to allow one more player in?

I’d be happy enough to move Dowds on, because I don’t think he’s very good, but if, as seems to be the case, we’re not viewing Robinson as a striker then it would leave us quite light up front and I can’t imagine anyone good fancies coming to be third choice. 

17 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’d be happy enough to move Dowds on, because I don’t think he’s very good, but if, as seems to be the case, we’re not viewing Robinson as a striker then it would leave us quite light up front and I can’t imagine anyone good fancies coming to be third choice. 

Didn't hear anything about Dowds being injured so his omission from the squad would make me too think he may be on his way out. Arbroath perhaps? Heard a pub rumour before the game that Williams had left the club to return home due to his partner's health situation. Probably pish though. 

7 minutes ago, Walter said:

Didn't hear anything about Dowds being injured so his omission from the squad would make me too think he may be on his way out. Arbroath perhaps? Heard a pub rumour before the game that Williams had left the club to return home due to his partner's health situation. Probably pish though. 

He was in the ‘game day’ video the club stuck on YouTube so he’s definitely still around - or was on Saturday at the very least.