The Partick Thistle thread

2 minutes ago, 0neTeamInGlasgow said:

Aww come on did you even think that was a thing lol. Don't you remember him first time around or with ICT he was chronic.

He has been a fairly steady Championship keeper for a good few years now. 

If Doolan saw Mitchell as a number one, Ridgers would be a more than capable back up keeper at this level.

3 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

He has been a fairly steady Championship keeper for a good few years now. 

If Doolan saw Mitchell as a number one, Ridgers would be a more than capable back up keeper at this level.

Steady hmmmm, he is gash

If Doolan sees Mitchell as a number one i would be concerned. Need a better keeper in and glad he is looking for one.

Edited by 0neTeamInGlasgow

Mitchell is our #1 for the upcoming season. 

if we are after another keeper it’s a sub keeper on a similar level to Mitchell.

Pretty sure Mitchell would’ve left if he didn’t have the assurances that he was the first choice unless forced not to be.

have said this before - the jersey is his to lose this season. If he gets injured and an adequate backup takes his place then that’s a different story but we are not signing someone to bench Mitchell, especially with 2wks to go until the first league game of the season. 

1 hour ago, BigMadMental said:

Mitchell is our #1 for the upcoming season. 

if we are after another keeper it’s a sub keeper on a similar level to Mitchell.

Pretty sure Mitchell would’ve left if he didn’t have the assurances that he was the first choice unless forced not to be.

have said this before - the jersey is his to lose this season. If he gets injured and an adequate backup takes his place then that’s a different story but we are not signing someone to bench Mitchell, especially with 2wks to go until the first league game of the season. 

Mitchell is a perfectly cromulent keeper.  For a club with a limited budget trying to make personnel changes that will have a big impact, splashing out for a good keeper instead of an OK keeper doesn’t make a lot of sense, not unless every other position is well sorted.  

Now if we get promoted, that might be a position we’d want to embiggen somewhat, but it’ll do for now.  The chances that he makes a crucial mistake to let in the one goal that denies us promotion are pretty slim. 

Remind me I said this come May….

5 minutes ago, Braesoyetts said:

Mitchell is a perfectly cromulent keeper.  For a club with a limited budget trying to make personnel changes that will have a big impact, splashing out for a good keeper instead of an OK keeper doesn’t make a lot of sense, not unless every other position is well sorted.  

Now if we get promoted, that might be a position we’d want to embiggen somewhat, but it’ll do for now.  The chances that he makes a crucial mistake to let in the one goal that denies us promotion are pretty slim. 

Remind me I said this come May….

Agree with your point overall, but a good keeper makes a massive difference in Scotland IMO.

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Agree with your point overall, but a good keeper makes a massive difference in Scotland IMO.

This. One of the best things that happened to us in the top flight seasons was Scott Fox deciding to leave for more money at County. This forced us to sign a replacement and we fell into the accidental upgrade of Tomas Cerny, which almost certainly never happens if Fox didn’t leave.

That was replacing an ok keeper with a good keeper. I’m not expecting us to sign another Cerny here, but I’ve seen enough of David Mitchell to know that we could have done better. I get the risk factor associated with trying to find a brand new keeper in a limited talent pool, but I’d counter that but saying it’s equally a risk going into the season with a guy who you know is the definition of mediocre.

14 hours ago, 0neTeamInGlasgow said:

Would love to read the story but my security suite says your certificate has expired and is a site for malware......

Sorry to hear that, if there's anything I could do (without spending even more money) then I would.

Would comment...

We've never had a certificate for anything, so nothing has expired!

Also never had a single report about any malware being attached to the Thistle Archive.

Tried there on three different devices and on different browsers and received no warnings or blocks.

If possible to make TTA an exception in your security suite settings then I'm confident you'll be fine, just like hundreds of thousands of visitors the last few years.

~ William

On 20/07/2024 at 03:36, Nightmare said:

This. One of the best things that happened to us in the top flight seasons was Scott Fox deciding to leave for more money at County. This forced us to sign a replacement and we fell into the accidental upgrade of Tomas Cerny, which almost certainly never happens if Fox didn’t leave.

That was replacing an ok keeper with a good keeper. I’m not expecting us to sign another Cerny here, but I’ve seen enough of David Mitchell to know that we could have done better. I get the risk factor associated with trying to find a brand new keeper in a limited talent pool, but I’d counter that but saying it’s equally a risk going into the season with a guy who you know is the definition of mediocre.

Not arguing we could have better, just considering the value received vs extra expenditure.  

Given how close we’ve come with no better keepers, and factoring in overall squad upgrades, I would assume they’re betting on us having a good chance of promotion without additional spending on a keeper.  Or that they can’t find anything obviously better within the allotted budget.  If we go up, then fully expect an upgrade in that department.

Edited by Braesoyetts

6 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Sorry to hear that, if there's anything I could do (without spending even more money) then I would.

Would comment...

We've never had a certificate for anything, so nothing has expired!

Also never had a single report about any malware being attached to the Thistle Archive.

Tried there on three different devices and on different browsers and received no warnings or blocks.

If possible to make TTA an exception in your security suite settings then I'm confident you'll be fine, just like hundreds of thousands of visitors the last few years.

~ William

image.png.bd76c4bad14e384bcbb727f2966f9e4a.png

I get it as well - only sometimes- but as there are no passwords or card details I need to enter to use it I just bypass it. Maybe something worth checking with the hosting company? (IT is not my thing)

I think Mitchell gives us the option to bring in a young loan keeper from a bigger club or a take a bit of a punt on a transfer, either of which could see us sign a gem. 

But with the added insurance that if they end up pish, Mitchell is fine as a first choice.

Now hearing that we are looking at Liam Grimshaw as a potential signing at full back. Been told the interest in Megwa is still there, but if that is to happen it won’t be until after the group stages conclude. 

23 hours ago, 0neTeamInGlasgow said:

As an aside, did anyone get their season ticket today? £5 for a bit of cardboard with a code on it, laughable. Probably won't even last a few months in someones wallet before it is wrecked.

Aye, it literally is a piece of card. Nice wee sleeve thing though.

Edited by Griff Sheridan

36 minutes ago, R&Y99 said:

Now hearing that we are looking at Liam Grimshaw as a potential signing at full back. Been told the interest in Megwa is still there, but if that is to happen it won’t be until after the group stages conclude. 

I’d go for Grimshaw tbh. 

I don’t see how we can be getting Megwa when Hibs are playing him most games and he started today. Surely works into their plans.

Hibs might sign a few after their result today. Would be fine with Grimshaw if he ended up here.

Re: keepers I'm struggling to think of a loan keeper we've had that was miles better than what we already had on the books. Conor Hazard and Kieran Wright were fine but nothing special (tho Hazard ending up in the English Championship and winning a Scottish Cup final suggests he was maybe better than I thought) and going way way back Andy Murdoch?

31 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Hibs might sign a few after their result today. Would be fine with Grimshaw if he ended up here.

Re: keepers I'm struggling to think of a loan keeper we've had that was miles better than what we already had on the books. Conor Hazard and Kieran Wright were fine but nothing special (tho Hazard ending up in the English Championship and winning a Scottish Cup final suggests he was maybe better than I thought) and going way way back Andy Murdoch?

I think you're right that when Hazard was with us he was fine -  and I would say at that point was our best keeper - but didn't show anything to suggest that he'd go on to play at the level he now does. Fair play to him

On 20/07/2024 at 07:19, baba douche said:

Bring this guy out of retirement - he'd still be the best keeper in the division.

Screenshot_20240720-071837.png

Remember him talking the referee out a goal. Aye bring Tam back