The Partick Thistle thread

Stenhousemuir have been linked with Blair Alston. I'm always suspicious of when someone drops from full-time football to a part-time team in the latter stages of their career, and I'm keen to know what kind of player we can expect should the deal go through.

Thoughts and comments would be very welcome.

Just now, Francesc Fabregas said:

Stenhousemuir have been linked with Blair Alston. I'm always suspicious of when someone drops from full-time football to a part-time team in the latter stages of their career, and I'm keen to know what kind of player we can expect should the deal go through.

If you could arrange to play Raith every week, you'd have a prime Ronaldo on your hands.

Otherwise, probably meh to quite good.

1 minute ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

If you play Raith, you'll start a goal up

2 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Largely for us a quiet player over the 90 minutes, often struggling to make an impact, but he has moments of magic in his locker. Scored some great goals last season.

He actually has a really good free kick on him, shooting and delivery wise, that he displayed towards the end of his time with us. I seem to recall an interview with one of our players saying he regularly scored brilliant free kicks in training.   

To be fair to Alston he was brilliant in the play offs against Raith. I think he would be a decent signing for yourselves.

15 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

His running is nearly Ross Forbes level of slow, and I found that games often seemed to pass him by.

That said, he was good for some great moments and clearly has good technical ability. I think he’d be good in League One. 

14 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

The latest in a long line of Thistle players who seem to come with a reputation of being a "ghost" on the pitch. Generally anonymous and you almost forget that they're playing until they pop up with an excellently-timed run into the box or a worldie of a strike out of nowhere. I think it's safe to say that Alston doesn't impose himself on a game, and has played somewhat of a luxury role for us in his limited appearances.

This one just screams to me of him signing for Stenhousemuir, half-arsing it for a few games and being retired by November. I could be wrong, and ideally this won't be the outcome as I quite like Alston (and Stenny tbh), but just a gut feeling.

8 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

The latest in a long line of Thistle players who seem to come with a reputation of being a "ghost" on the pitch. Generally anonymous and you almost forget that they're playing until they pop up with an excellently-timed run into the box or a worldie of a strike out of nowhere. I think it's safe to say that Alston doesn't impose himself on a game, and has played somewhat of a luxury role for us in his limited appearances.

This one just screams to me of him signing for Stenhousemuir, half-arsing it for a few games and being retired by November. I could be wrong, and ideally this won't be the outcome as I quite like Alston (and Stenny tbh), but just a gut feeling.

There are only two 'ghosts' in my 30+ years of following Thistle: Albert Craig and Alston - and one of them was said semi-ironically.

Who are the other ones?

14 minutes ago, baba douche said:

There are only two 'ghosts' in my 30+ years of following Thistle: Albert Craig and Alston - and one of them was said semi-ironically.

Who are the other ones?

Shea Gordon, will never understand the love our support had for him. Absolutely anonymous 

9 minutes ago, baba douche said:

Who are the other ones?

Shea Gordon is one who was given the ironic ghost moniker. Never have I seen a player contribute so little on the pitch, but bizarrely scored a number of goals for us.

I was also thinking Cammy Smith, but unlike Gordon or Alston, his ghost status extended to all facets of the game because he didn't score or assist or... well, do anything.

Albert Craig was before my time watching the Jags, so I have no idea if his "ghost" tag was more positive than the rest of these names, who are generally ghosts in a negative sense.

5 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Shea Gordon is one who was given the ironic ghost moniker. Never have I seen a player contribute so little on the pitch, but bizarrely scored a number of goals for us.

I was also thinking Cammy Smith, but unlike Gordon or Alston, his ghost status extended to all facets of the game because he didn't score or assist or... well, do anything.

Albert Craig was before my time watching the Jags, so I have no idea if his "ghost" tag was more positive than the rest of these names, who are generally ghosts in a negative sense.

Albert Craig WAS/IS The Ghost. I may have given him the nickname or made up the song, but I was VERY drunk around that time (I don't THINK I did, but I was in the vicinity).

I'm sure it was me that called Alston The Ghost - it was in a 'semi-joking, but secretly hoping it came true' way.

Shea Gordon was never The Ghost (for f**k sake man!)

Edit: I definitely DID come up with 'Coma' for Leigh Hinds. And my mate started 'Slippers' McConologue.

Edited by baba douche

11 minutes ago, baba douche said:

Albert Craig WAS/IS The Ghost. I may have given him the nickname or made up the song, but I was VERY drunk around that time (I don't THINK I did, but I was in the vicinity).

I'm sure it was me that called Alston The Ghost - it was in a 'semi-joking, but secretly hoping it came true' way.

Shea Gordon was never The Ghost (for f**k sake man!)

Edit: I definitely DID come up with 'Coma' for Leigh Hinds. And my mate started 'Slippers' McConologue.

Gordon and Alston have definitely been given that title by plenty of others. Not in the same positive kind of way that the nickname appears to be attributed to Craig, of course.

For Cammy Smith I might have just made it up there - but he deserves it, because he was pretty much the definition of a ghost out there for us. In a bad way.

Edited by Nightmare

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

He’s the type of signing that most people would say “should be fine for League One” but equally if he ends up stinking the place out wouldn’t be that surprised. He does still have quality as mentioned by others so in the right team you’d imagine he could be useful. 

Edited by JagsCG

7 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Dan MacKay out for four months.

f**k sake. 

Absolute disaster, makes me nervous only having two fit wingers now. Another injury and we are back to having a centre mid on the wing like we have with McInroy and Crawford in the past.

32 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I'll be careful never to call a player a nickname in future unless baba douche has coined it.

If only more people thought like you, the world would be a better place 👍

1 minute ago, R&Y99 said:

Absolute disaster, makes me nervous only having two fit wingers now. Another injury and we are back to having a centre mid on the wing like we have with McInroy and Crawford in the past.

At least we've got time for a 6-month loan to try and tide us through (or do absolutely hee-haw).

A ghost-like presence...

5 minutes ago, baba douche said:

At least we've got time for a 6-month loan to try and tide us through (or do absolutely hee-haw).

I would imagine the loan market will be our preferred option to replace McKay for now, with him and Lawless expected back around the same time. 

1 minute ago, Firhill5thrillz said:

A loan move for Glenn Middleton is already being touted on X.  

We are going Dundee United loans mad at this rate, Watt, Grimshaw and now Middleton.