The Partick Thistle thread

2 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

You would just see teams releasing a rack of players between windows and there wouldn't be a point to a transfer window and contracts wouldn't be worth the paper they're written on.

Whether you agree with it or not that is the rules clubs work within so they set rules for free agency to maintain the system.

I kind of get the bit about there being no point in the transfer window, although I don’t see any benefit to the releasing club apart from a wage off the books. I don’t agree with the contract bit though as the club can’t just tear it up. In Wasiri’s case it was mutual. The player is the only one at a disadvantage.

53 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I kind of get the bit about there being no point in the transfer window, although I don’t see any benefit to the releasing club apart from a wage off the books. I don’t agree with the contract bit though as the club can’t just tear it up. In Wasiri’s case it was mutual. The player is the only one at a disadvantage.

Wasiri would’ve been fully aware of the rules when he agreed to terminate his contract, and he has presumably been paid a bit in a lump sum in order to do so.

The problem is that, if the registration of players was allowed to be transferred whenever if the player was released, you’d see all sorts of backhanded deals throughout the season where Player A is technically released, and immediately signs for a new club, who just so happen to have given his previous club an unrelated fee. You’d have guys who get the sniff of a big move and go in demanding that their contract is torn up so they can go elsewhere. There are definitely mechanisms to allow a contract to be voided where it isn’t remotely mutual - Jordan McMillan, for example. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Wasiri would’ve been fully aware of the rules when he agreed to terminate his contract, and he has presumably been paid a bit in a lump sum in order to do so.

The problem is that, if the registration of players was allowed to be transferred whenever if the player was released, you’d see all sorts of backhanded deals throughout the season where Player A is technically released, and immediately signs for a new club, who just so happen to have given his previous club an unrelated fee. You’d have guys who get the sniff of a big move and go in demanding that their contract is torn up so they can go elsewhere. There are definitely mechanisms to allow a contract to be voided where it isn’t remotely mutual - Jordan McMillan, for example. 

Tapping players isn’t allowed though is it, so the player can’t go in and demand his contract his terminated.  But, I get the reason for the rule. 

1 minute ago, Barney Exactly said:

What’s happening at Firhill today? Not kicking off till 3:30!!!! Announcer tried to advise everyone of what’s going on but the tannoy system here is unbelievably bad. No one can make out a word!! 

Linesman injured in the warmup and took a while to source a replacement official.

7 hours ago, Barney Exactly said:

What’s happening at Firhill today? Not kicking off till 3:30!!!! Announcer tried to advise everyone of what’s going on but the tannoy system here is unbelievably bad. No one can make out a word!! 

Doesn't help when the announcer takes some helium and chunters like a ned either!

“I had, over two spells in charge at Firhill, spent nine years with what I will always regard as my club. A place where I feel I still have unfinished business. But there was turmoil going on behind the scenes and it was the then interim chairman, Duncan Smillie, who told me my time was up.”

You really don't have unfinished business here Ian.

Adeloye, lawless and Mackay all to come back for Xmas and we would have some serious fire power. Would be excellent to be able to drop/ sub fitzy once in a while. He yet again on Saturday was rubbish and it infuriates me that it’s Milne who has to make the runs, like the one that lead to the winner, over and over again for him. A world where we could switch out chalmers and fitzy for Mackay and lawless at the same time would be excellent. If there’s any truth in Adeloye returning I would send diack out on loan. He seems to actually be regressing from when he first appeared and clearly needs regularly football on a weekly basis. 

11 minutes ago, Doolan9 said:

Adeloye, lawless and Mackay all to come back for Xmas and we would have some serious fire power. Would be excellent to be able to drop/ sub fitzy once in a while. He yet again on Saturday was rubbish and it infuriates me that it’s Milne who has to make the runs, like the one that lead to the winner, over and over again for him. A world where we could switch out chalmers and fitzy for Mackay and lawless at the same time would be excellent. If there’s any truth in Adeloye returning I would send diack out on loan. He seems to actually be regressing from when he first appeared and clearly needs regularly football on a weekly basis. 

I beleive Adeloye is back training  with us so hopefully something more solid will come to fruition.

Diack out on loan would do him a world of good .

44 minutes ago, Doolan9 said:

Other than miss an open goal Mackay has not actually done anything for us yet.

the other 2 I agree would make a big difference 

It probably hasn't helped Diack his two starts have been vs Falkirk and Livi rather than some of the weaker teams in the league but yeah he's definitely looked less of a player this season, his sub appearance vs Falkirk at home the other week was Soccer Aid- esque. Obviously the only options for a loan at the moment are non league which wouldn't really help him - if we loaned him out to a non-league team we couldn't loan him out to a league team in January- so he's probably just got to sit it out until January and hopefully he can get something sorted out then.

Trying not to get too dependant on Lawless coming back, it's a hell of an injury to recover from and he's far nearer the end of his career than the start, though I don't ever remember him being particularly injury prone. Hopefully we don't rush him back as if it goes again that's almost certainly him finished.