The Partick Thistle thread

Glad we tried the 3-5-2 in the cup. Was worth a shot but yeah most people are right our 3 central midfielders don't have enough drive for that formation to work. It was more of a 3-5-1-1 though and in my opinion that's not a formation for 3 midfielders that aren't great at going at players. Maybe Doolan - Pogba with lawless behind them and bannigan,osman sitting behind them could have better.

Glad we tried the 3-5-2 in the cup. Was worth a shot but yeah most people are right our 3 central midfielders don't have enough drive for that formation to work. It was more of a 3-5-1-1 though and in my opinion that's not a formation for 3 midfielders that aren't great at going at players. Maybe Doolan - Pogba with lawless behind them and bannigan,osman sitting behind them could have better.

Article in today's ET with Seaborne seems to suggest the new formation will be used again. I like how we can now shitfest at times but going full shitfest permanently with a formation that may not necessarily work concerns me.

Article in today's ET with Seaborne seems to suggest the new formation will be used again. I like how we can now shitfest at times but going full shitfest permanently with a formation that may not necessarily work concerns me.

My worry isn't so much the formation, it's the players who make the formation. If you change it for Saturday to

Cerny

Miller Seaborne Lindsay

Elliott................................Booth

Osman Bannigan

Nesbitt

Pogba Doolan

Then it puts in a RWB who'll get up and down the line better than Miller who himself would be more comfortable on the right of a 3, a proper attacking player instead of Welsh (hell, anycunt instead of Welsh), and a target to hump the ball to in order to relieve pressure as long as Pogba isn't in full on lump of wood mode. You can replace Nesbitt with Fraser / Edwards / Lawless and Pogba with German / Amoo (I think he'd still be rubbish there mainly with his back to goal but he's OK in the air and quick)

When we played 3-5-2 under Lambie in the back to back promotions in the early 2000s one of the keys was Martin Hardie as one of the midfield 3 being so good at getting forward and scoring goals.

That was when everyone played 2 up front though,not many teams do now though hence the 3 falling out of fashion as they're normally only covering one.

I fear though that we'll see Elliott in for Miller at RWB and no other changes from last week :(

Small crumbs of comfort.

First game at Tynie, Osman didn't start and we played a bit better when he came on.

Game at Firhill Scully was in goal until being sent off.

That's it...

We won't play 2 up front and Welsh won't be dropped.

We'll go the same 5-3-1-1 as we did against United and hope for a 0-0 or 1-0.

If Dumbuya is out then I'd play Elliott instead of Miller at RB.

Fair play to anyone that goes. It's be like the siege of Leningrad.

Cerny

Miller Seaborne Lindsay

Elliott................................Booth

Osman Bannigan

Nesbitt

Pogba Doolan

I like the idea of Miller playing in there, though I'd have Miller - Frans - Seabourne. The rest I'd leave, though think Lawless should start ahead of Nesbit until we know how he shapes up.