The Partick Thistle thread

Elliott used to be a striker (albeit not a very good one) before he got gradually moved back. I would play him there for the foreseeable until Doolan is back fit/we sign another striker. He can't and won't be any worse than Nisbet.

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

I understand that the transfer window is open for another 3 and bit weeks but the lack of depth yesterday was pretty apparent when you looked at the subs bench- 2 senior defenders and 4 weans- I was thinking beforehand that if we were chasing the game we had nothing to change it. We're also going to have to work out the best way to use Osman, Bannigan, and Barton in the same team fairly sharpish.

We should play Barton in a back 3 with Turnbull and Keown then have a midfield of Elliott and Booth as wing backs then Bannigan and Osman in the middle of the park.

The problem with Nisbet is he doesn't actually look as if he's trying very hard. Even if he's a bit pish you would think he would be trying to make an impression. As for midfield I really don't enjoy watching Barton as a central midfielder. He's great as a sweeper but our midfield is so slow if plays alongside osman and bannigan. Playing 3 at the back doesn't suit the likes of lawless, spittal and erskine though so finding the right balance looks as though it's going to be very difficult.

The obvious stuff is enough of a concern without half the team looking chronically unfit.   Hibs looked fitter and faster than us in every position.
Our midfield which we hoped would dictate the game looked shattered after 20 minutes.

That's the last few seasons that we've looked off the pace for at least the first few weeks. It just makes me wonder what Junior Mendes actually does.

Did we look off the pace? We were sharp at the beginning and Doolan could have added a second on Saturday, before Hibs changed their shape and closed out in midfield. We failed exploit the space they left when doubling and trebling up on us when we had the ball. I didn't think we looked any less sharp than them, they got their tactics right and we couldn't adapt until it was too late.

Abdul and Barton getting caught on the ball was down to Hibs not giving us time on the ball. We need to move it on quicker.

On the plus side Keown was excellent, Bannigan is starting to look like he's never been away and the new guy looks like a savage.

I'd like to see McLaughlin start if Doolan is out, while we try to bring another striker in. He's looked pacy and as if he's not scared to have a shot from outside the box.

From where I was sitting, we lost because they were simply more aggressive than us. Not all of that aggression was legal, but the referee was prepared to let it go. It seemed to me that in the after-match interview Archibald was genuinely angry - I would guess about losing to a team that showed more fight. Beginning to think that Barton might be a luxury player that we can't afford in certain games. If you don't win the physical battles in midfield, you don't get to play.

12 minutes ago, Griff Sheridan said:

Did we look off the pace? We were sharp at the beginning and Doolan could have added a second on Saturday, before Hibs changed their shape and closed out in midfield. We failed exploit the space they left when doubling and trebling up on us when we had the ball. I didn't think we looked any less sharp than them, they got their tactics right and we couldn't adapt until it was too late.

Abdul and Barton getting caught on the ball was down to Hibs not giving us time on the ball. We need to move it on quicker.

On the plus side Keown was excellent, Bannigan is starting to look like he's never been away and the new guy looks like a savage.

I'd like to see McLaughlin start if Doolan is out, while we try to bring another striker in. He's looked pacy and as if he's not scared to have a shot from outside the box.

Osman's defending for the second is shocking. Made no effort to block the cross or even get close to the guy. I know he never starts a season anywhere near fit, but that was 30 mins in!

Osman's defending for the second is shocking. Made no effort to block the cross or even get close to the guy. I know he never starts a season anywhere near fit, but that was 30 mins in!

Lawless caught ball-watching.

First goal -  A simple straight ball from Ambrose allows McGinn to turn and drive unopposed - he runs through our midfield three without so much as an attempt. Osman and Bannigan are terrific at picking up needless bookings but that would have been a very good foul to make but at that point, we still have a 4v2. Would a left footed centre half been in a better position to deal with Murray's miskick? Possibly but not too much that Devine could do. Christie was still half way up the pitch and couldn't get back in time. Someone has to drop in to cover. Barton can see Boyle's run and is helpless to do anything.

Second goal - It had been coming from the right side. Increasingly large gaps left by Christie with no cover from midfield. Again, simple ball from defence to McGinn who is allowed to drive with the ball unopposed. Bannigan is in no mans land, Barton not much better. Osman doesn't do enough to stop the pass. Second time in quick succession that Lawless is caught ball watching by Whittaker. Devine arguably too deep, a yard up and he's in a decent position to block but he's on the back foot.

Third goal - Lawless ball watching again, Osman about 2 yards off the pace, Booth not quick enough and surely knows Boyle has got the run on him about 2 or 3 yards outside the box.

If we're using St Johnstone as some kind of aspiration (Jesus), they wouldn't have conceded goals one and three because in the unlikely event that they'd left themselves so open, they'd have taken a foul. Doubt they'd have conceded the second either as they would have had men behind the ball - Barton and Bannigan are facing our own goal.

To be fair though, if they had Kevin Nisbet up front, they'd be as fucked as us.

Edited by Armand 2

A lot of this fitness observations is down to Simon Murray defending from the front. Generally if the striker runs around like a mad man and gives the oppos defence little time, it's infectious on the rest of their team. Whereas we had the opposite.

The best example of this in top level football was Teves as he inspired his team to close down too. 

Maybe we should just do EPO because the spfl can't afford to check everyone and they will assume we're too diddy to do something clever like that. 

Just watched the Archie interview with Max on Jagzone.

That's a very clearly upset Archie. You could tell he was not happy with the players and the mistakes made. When asked if another striker is needed, he snapped a tad at him and probably due to frustration as he states we didn't get our targets. What I like about Archie is that he's not going to bring in a shitey journeyman just to appease the fans as the player has to add value and be worth something.

Also watching the game, I totally agree that once the first goal goes in the players let Hibs dictate everything. No wonder he is unhappy as the squad, striker aside, and Doolan getting injured has the quality to contain that Hibs side and not make silly mistakes. I thought Osman didn't look himself and so expect a much better performance from him as captain and the lads this week versus Saints. A response is needed.

On Nisbet, he looks way off the pace. It's a tad unfair to expect him to be the first choice forward with Doolan out but you'd expect him to at least bust a gut and get stuck in. I can't see us not signing a forward but I agree panicking and bringing in another Baird isn't going to help us.

Time for Lawless, Edwards, Spittal and co to step up and take some chances whilst we sort out the final third and get Dools back.