The Partick Thistle thread

Plenty of time left in the season, and players to come back from injury that should help.

BUT, this start to the season feels a bit different to the previous two. Those were shite starts, but there didn't appear to be the same sort of doom and gloom. The players looked lost today. No fight whatsoever, no finger pointing after goals or trying to encourage. Just shrugging and walking back to their positions. And the atmosphere in the stands was a bit different as well.

Right now it feels like a relegation team. In which case you could maybe make a case for a change. But I really don't think it makes a difference, at this point. Archie or someone else in charge, the midfield will still be a shambles.

On 02/10/2017 at 20:38, cilitbang said:

P.S any Well fan complaining about their players being hacked can f**k off. You had Keith Lasley in your team getting away with worse for yonks. 

Ok, so at what point can we Well fans start complaining again about our players getting hacked down?  6 months?  A year?  2 years?  5 years maybe?

I think I'd draw a distinction between the last two seasons. Last season we won on day 1 and then had a series of games where we would have done better if we hadn't lost a late goal / Azeez hadn't missed a sitter. I always felt we'd turn the corner. 

2 seasons ago we looked absolutely dogshit and went 6 or 7 games without scoring and deservedly getting beat most weeks. We got a win out of nowhere vs United and the same players got us out of it. 

This looks more like 2 seasons ago, except with the injury problems, certain players from last year looking unrecognisable (barton, keown), and the 2 new strikers looking like Azeez would out score them it looks worse. 

If you can't see the mitigating circumstances behind our current league position then you simply don't want to see them. Yesterday was the first game all season we went into as anything other than firm underdogs and we were without Booth, Dumbaya, Elliot, Osman, Bannigan, Lawless and we may as well throw in Gary Frazer for good measure. Sacking the manager will not miraculously make the lame walk again. Only time will do that.

Oh, and anyone who boos their own team during a game is a knob.

If you can't see the mitigating circumstances behind our current league position then you simply don't want to see them. Yesterday was the first game all season we went into as anything other than firm underdogs and we were without Booth, Dumbaya, Elliot, Osman, Bannigan, Lawless and we may as well throw in Gary Frazer for good measure. Sacking the manager will not miraculously make the lame walk again. Only time will do that.

Oh, and anyone who boos their own team during a game is a knob.

Even taking into account the massive injury list, there was more than enough quality in that starting 11 to win the game. Archie said it himself.

I’m not wanting him out (yet) but he really needs to get the players playing for him, or at least looking like they give a f**k.

Also, booing your own players is an absolute riddy. The boos as the players were going off at half time was an embarrassment.

12 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Plenty of time left in the season, and players to come back from injury that should help.

BUT, this start to the season feels a bit different to the previous two. Those were shite starts, but there didn't appear to be the same sort of doom and gloom. The players looked lost today. No fight whatsoever, no finger pointing after goals or trying to encourage. Just shrugging and walking back to their positions. And the atmosphere in the stands was a bit different as well.

Right now it feels like a relegation team. In which case you could maybe make a case for a change. But I really don't think it makes a difference, at this point. Archie or someone else in charge, the midfield will still be a shambles.

Give him the winter break then up to the end of February to try and sort things and if we're still in the s**te then it's time for a change. I always thought when Archie left it would be on good terms with him going to an English Championship club but it's not looking that way just now.:(

It's a strange one as up until the Motherwell game I would have said we were doing decent considering the fixtures and injuries. We've put in some great performances against the leagues best sides but as soon as we reach 'winnable' games we've turned to shit.

Injuries are obviously a factor but yesterday we had players like Doolan, Spittal, Erskine, Storey and Sammon who should have been more than good enough up against that Killie defence. The Barton/Edwards duo obviously isn't ideal but we've had that exact same midfield against better teams and been fine. Can't really blame Archie for our FBs falling like dominoes but the CBs were honking, heard Turnbull was shocked he was left out which is fucking bizarre from Archie if true as he's easily our best defender and can actually make a pass.

Don't want him gone but he isn't untouchable, he's been able to spend money and bring in his targets this year so getting outclassed by a struggling, managerless Killie just shouldn't be happening, we've been in worse situations before though and he's pulled us through.

Edited by Red 'N Yellow

Even with a fit squad I can't work out what he wants to do with the squad.

Barton clearly isn't a centre mid and can't play in a back 4 which is Archie's preferred set up, this also leads into his bizzare policy of signing two forwards and insisting on playing one up top and a striker wide left.

His stubborn refusal to to change his set up regardless of players at his disposal is almost strachanesque.

Even with a fit squad I can't work out what he wants to do with the squad.

Barton clearly isn't a centre half and can't play in a back 4 which is Archie's preferred set up, this also leads into his bizzare policy of signing two forwards and insisting on playing one up top and a striker wide left.

His stubborn refusal to to change his set up regardless of players at his disposal is almost strachanesque.

Well that's it then! When you said Strachanesque we are doomed.

We seem to be professionals at riddling players with long term injuries. How many players who miss a game or two with "niggles", end up out for weeks, then come back for a game or two, get a setback, and then end up needing surgery and fucked. Welsh, Fraser, Dumbuya....Bannigan just about there, Osman heading that way, Cerny must be due for another long absence....numerous other players out injured. Even in recent years, the likes of Seaborne would never have a decent run of games. Are we hiring dafties who have no clue how to rehabilitate players?