The Partick Thistle thread

I think I'd draw a distinction between the last two seasons. Last season we won on day 1 and then had a series of games where we would have done better if we hadn't lost a late goal / Azeez hadn't missed a sitter. I always felt we'd turn the corner. 
2 seasons ago we looked absolutely dogshit and went 6 or 7 games without scoring and deservedly getting beat most weeks. We got a win out of nowhere vs United and the same players got us out of it. 
This looks more like 2 seasons ago, except with the injury problems, certain players from last year looking unrecognisable (barton, keown), and the 2 new strikers looking like Azeez would out score them it looks worse. 

So, what are we to take from this? That nothing has been learned in two seasons? I don't think that's what you mean but, god's balls, someone hasn't been doing their homework for the past two months.

There's an old guy that sits behind me who is a constant moaner and only rarely has anything positive to say. Yesterday his mate said to him "who was that losing the ball on the far side?" and the old guy said "Storey, or Horror Storey as I'm going to start calling him".   Honestly the highlight of the match for me.  You have to laugh... no, you do... go on...

I'm keeping the faith with Archie. He has done so much for our club. Don't want us to end up like others around us who sack their managers left, right and centre. You could see the players are low on confidence.  But I think some of them need to step up and start being more physical, because we are a soft touch and you cant see us outworking teams at the moment. I think the injuries are costing us and any other team around us with those amount of injuries in key positions would struggle. Although I want archie to stay, he needs to be a bit quicker with his subs and also give Andy McCarthy a chance. Turnbull should go to left back, mcginn at right back with barton in the back three cause he just isn't a centre midfielder. I think the turnover of players over the summer hasn't helped. We almost have too many new players, which is partly down to injuries. We should never have let sean welsh go. I know I will get stick for saying that but he was part of our club for so long and did a lot of the dirty work which lots of people didn't notice.  I think that combined with injuries to guys who have been at the club for a long time has made us loose our identity this season. I think its important for any club to have a core group of players who have been their for a while.  Also I think azzez was more important than people realise. I know he missed sitters and everyone was pulling their hair out, but he gave us a physical presence, which was especially important in away games, because he held the ball up so well and got us up the pitch. He was much more useful than Sammon. But archie needs to stay, regardless of what happens this season and I hope the board don't panic like other clubs.

I'm keeping the faith with Archie. He has done so much for our club. Don't want us to end up like others around us who sack their managers left, right and centre. You could see the players are low on confidence.  But I think some of them need to step up and start being more physical, because we are a soft touch and you cant see us outworking teams at the moment. I think the injuries are costing us and any other team around us with those amount of injuries in key positions would struggle. Although I want archie to stay, he needs to be a bit quicker with his subs and also give Andy McCarthy a chance. Turnbull should go to left back, mcginn at right back with barton in the back three cause he just isn't a centre midfielder. I think the turnover of players over the summer hasn't helped. We almost have too many new players, which is partly down to injuries. We should never have let sean welsh go. I know I will get stick for saying that but he was part of our club for so long and did a lot of the dirty work which lots of people didn't notice.  I think that combined with injuries to guys who have been at the club for a long time has made us loose our identity this season. I think its important for any club to have a core group of players who have been their for a while.  Also I think azzez was more important than people realise. I know he missed sitters and everyone was pulling their hair out, but he gave us a physical presence, which was especially important in away games, because he held the ball up so well and got us up the pitch. He was much more useful than Sammon. But archie needs to stay, regardless of what happens this season and I hope the board don't panic like other clubs.

I’m pretty sure Sean Welsh is still injured so would have made absolutely no difference.

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’m pretty sure Sean Welsh is still injured so would have made absolutely no difference.

The argument surely is why give Gary Fraser another contract  after two years out (and still out) yet release Welsh who despite missing the latter part of the season was playing regularly every week. Welsh is one of these guys like Osman, that you only appreciate what they bring to the team when they are not in it. We have done exactly this (contract extension) with Banzo, he comes back into the reckoning at the start of the season, but now has disappeared of the face of the earth, despite Archie telling us that there are no injuries except the long term ones.  It's baffling!

Not excusing the Fraser deal, which I think was pointless, but you have to admit there is potential there with him. Potential that will never be realised because he's a complete crock, but there's obviously a very good footballer beneath the massive list of sick notes.

Whereas Sean Welsh is Sean Welsh. Decent player, nothing more. And also a complete injury liability.

1 hour ago, Dr Koop said:

So, what are we to take from this? That nothing has been learned in two seasons? I don't think that's what you mean but, god's balls, someone hasn't been doing their homework for the past two months.

I guess my view was I think we're fucked, but I was wrong 2 years ago.

The Bannigan situation is perplexing, it's reminiscent in a way of the Jordan McMillan story. Not implying for a minute there's any drugs / ban / wrongdoing related stuff going on, and I believe SB was at the game yesterday but the total lack of mention before the game- as with the Motherwell game- of him being out then just the Bannigan was "unavailable" (compared to Lawless who was "ill"). Makes me concerned he's kaput again and can be added to the raggy dolls pile in the stand.

The longer this goes on, the more Sean Welsh is going to turn into Pirlo crossed with Zidane rather than a one=paced midfielder who couldn't get kneed in the thigh without being out for 2 months. Case in point

24 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

The argument surely is why give Gary Fraser another contract  after two years out (and still out) yet release Welsh who despite missing the latter part of the season was playing regularly every week. Welsh is one of these guys like Osman, that you only appreciate what they bring to the team when they are not in it. We have done exactly this (contract extension) with Banzo, he comes back into the reckoning at the start of the season, but now has disappeared of the face of the earth, despite Archie telling us that there are no injuries except the long term ones.  It's baffling!

Missing three months of the season (played his last game Feb 11) =/= playing regularly every week.

18 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I guess my view was I think we're fucked, but I was wrong 2 years ago.

The Bannigan situation is perplexing, it's reminiscent in a way of the Jordan McMillan story. Not implying for a minute there's any drugs / ban / wrongdoing related stuff going on, and I believe SB was at the game yesterday but the total lack of mention before the game- as with the Motherwell game- of him being out then just the Bannigan was "unavailable" (compared to Lawless who was "ill"). Makes me concerned he's kaput again and can be added to the raggy dolls pile in the stand.

The longer this goes on, the more Sean Welsh is going to turn into Pirlo crossed with Zidane rather than a one=paced midfielder who couldn't get kneed in the thigh without being out for 2 months. Case in point

Missing three months of the season (played his last game Feb 11) =/= playing regularly every week.

In his 5 years at the club he played 110 games. That to me is averaging 22 games a season . He was out for around 18 months  on top of that.  The point is that whenever he was fit, Sean Welsh was one of the first names on the team sheet and also captain for a fair bit of that spell as well.  Edwards, Barton, Bannigan/Osman  midfield or Welsh, Osman Bannigan midfield. I know what I would prefer.

Edited by Sting777

8 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

In his 5 years at the club he played 110 games. That to me is averaging 22 games a season . He was out for around 18 months  on top of that.  The point is that whenever he was fit, Sean Welsh was one of the first names on the team sheet and also captain for a fair bit of that spell as well.  Edwards, Barton, Osman  midfield or Welsh, Osman Bannigan midfield. I know what I would prefer.

The league season is 38 games, throw in a couple of cup games and it's low 40s, so he's fit for about half a season on average, give or take?

And he's signed for no-one since he left us because... eh, he's been out injured for 8 months and counting.

I think when fit he's better than Edwards although they obviously play very different roles, but while you can argue about whether some people in the squad are or aren't injury liabilities, Welsh is a definite- he has a blood disorder which slows down his healing and Archie mentioned this in our first season up. If he wasn't such a crock, I think we probably would have kept him. Even on top of that, I doubt he starts ahead of Bannigan & Osman though so probably only as backup.

Edited by Fuctifano

19 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

The league season is 38 games, throw in a couple of cup games and it's low 40s, so he's fit for about half a season on average, give or take?

And he's signed for no-one since he left us because... eh, he's been out injured for 8 months and counting.

I think when fit he's better than Edwards although they obviously play very different roles, but while you can argue about whether some people in the squad are or aren't injury liabilities, Welsh is a definite- he has a blood disorder which slows down his healing and Archie mentioned this in our first season up. If he wasn't such a crock, I think we probably would have kept him. Even on top of that, I doubt he starts ahead of Bannigan & Osman though so probably only as backup.

We'll not really as he was out for around 18 months  so  if you discount that his average goes up substantially. Let's face it, when he was fit he was rarely on the bench, he was in the first team and usually as captain. My point in this is that he was a scapegoat for a lot of fans, just as murmurings about Osman  are pointing the same way, but sometimes you only realise the job these guys do when they are unfit or leave. Hope I am wrong but I just can't see Gary Fraser in a first team jersey again and God knows what's going on with Banzo.

We'll not really as he was out for around 18 months  so  if you discount that his average goes up substantially. Let's face it, when he was fit he was rarely on the bench, he was in the first team and usually as captain. My point in this is that he was a scapegoat for a lot of fans, just as murmurings about Osman  are pointing the same way, but sometimes you only realise the job these guys do when they are unfit or leave. Hope I am wrong but I just can't see Gary Fraser in a first team jersey again and God knows what's going on with Banzo.

Aye, and if you discount all the times he wasn’t injured his average goes down. The point is he’s an injury prone liability who wouldn’t have played a game yet this season and even when fit, probably shouldn’t be in the first 11 if everyone else is fit too.

If Fraser comes through the U-20 game this week unscathed don't be surprised if he is in the squad on Saturday.

3 hours ago, northjag said:

So are you suggesting we should never sack a manager again no matter the circumstances or how he(or maybe she in the far future) is doing?