2016-17 New Laws of the game

dee_62

A penalty should be awarded for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. That's fairer than an automatic red card. The offender should be cautioned and only sent off for a dangerous tackle or a professional foul, i.e. no attempt to play the ball. 

A penalty should be awarded for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. That's fairer than an automatic red card. The offender should be cautioned and only sent off for a dangerous tackle or a professional foul, i.e. no attempt to play the ball. 

A lot of people say this and the principle is right but its naive in reality, as if the penalty is missed there is no advantage. Therefore no incentive to the defender not to deliberately prevent goalscoring opportunities if they might get away with it. The point of the rule is to stop them doing that.

Why is a penalty the only dead-ball situation where an opponent has to be more than 10 yards from the ball?

I think 'keepers taking a step forward is fair enough.

Interesting question. Anyone? Perhaps as box is 18yds and kicking box 6yds, so halfway between.

Also why must you only retreat 2yds at throw-ins.

Two changes I would like to see:

(1) fourth substitute in extra-time;

(2) 10yd arcs in corners (2yd lines down sides maybe OTT)

Yes the penalty kick point makes no sense as written.

As it is currently, it's unfair and is my biggest bugbear in the game. Team A get a man sent off so only have ten men, Team B should not have to also forego a man. The consequence for Team A would be that their weakest penalty taker, say their goalie, hits sooner in the shootout than Team B who managed to stay within the laws of the game.

I thought that's where the comment above on penalties from the article was going but clearly it descended into nonsense.

But Team B will be dropping a poor penalty taker where Team A could potentially have lost their best 1.

Imo the new "denying a goalscoring opportunity" law will just cause more arguments, the ref now has to decide not only if something was a foul, but also has to instantly gauge what the intent was. A foul is still a foul whether your intention was to play the ball or not.

One law I would like to see is for the introduction of blood replacements so that a player can be patched up and return to the game, with the same 10 minute maximum treatment time like they have in rugby.

Archived