Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

They're probably lining up a Jim Gannon/Maurice Malpas dream team for their reserve league campaign. I genuinely would like to know what qualities Barraclough has that would make Robinson take him on after watching McGhee coming in and taking the same 'Well squad to a comfortable top half finish after Barraclough had us destined for the playoffs..Add to the fact that your ex-boss working for you must be pretty weird....

Maybe Baraclough is highly regarded as a coach?  Robinson may have been impressed with that side of things when they were together at Motherwell.  He sure as f**k isn't a manager - we all know that.

There's plenty of examples in recent times of guys being good, highly rated coaches but horrendous managers (hiya Maurice, hiya pal). 

I'm delighted Baraclough has nothing more to do with Motherwell, he was utterly, utterly out of his depth but I have no issues wishing him and Robinson well at Oldham.  

I watched Robinson's interview when he took over at Oldham and the gist was pretty much as Desp says; he feels he's a good coach and will bring a "positivity" to things.

He also pointed out that they'd never worked together prior to him coming in at Fir Park so it wasn't an old pals act.

Just had a look at the article about Oxford bidding for Johnson, to be honest i think the Old Firm being interested part is probably his agent trying to drum up some bids for him, Hearts being interested wouldn't surprise me but if we are selling him at a price that makes him affordable to Hearts then we are seriously robbing ourselves blind. I obviously wouldn't want to lose him but if he is to go I'd try and get as big a fee as possible from Oxford. They are flush after pulling in over £3 million in transfer fees this summer so make them spend some of it. 

The whole thing reads like a fluff piece by his agent tbh. Given it's not being reported anywhere else makes me doubt the story altogether.

Still expecting a proper bid in at some point before the window closes, anything upwards of half a million with a decent sell on clause and I'd be fairly satisfied.

Just had a look at the article about Oxford bidding for Johnson, to be honest i think the Old Firm being interested part is probably his agent trying to drum up some bids for him, Hearts being interested wouldn't surprise me but if we are selling him at a price that makes him affordable to Hearts then we are seriously robbing ourselves blind. I obviously wouldn't want to lose him but if he is to go I'd try and get as big a fee as possible from Oxford. They are flush after pulling in over £3 million in transfer fees this summer so make them spend some of it. 

Thing with Oxford is they've already spent money on Hemmings, Rothwell and Nelson. They've increased their wage budget by a reported 50% and they've signed 10 players in total (including the 3 mentioned).

Also, they posted a £2.4m loss last year and £1.4m the previous year. Given their club record fee paid is £470k, I'd think they'd have to be breaking that to get us seriously interested. Even more so if the reported interest from Championship clubs is true.

Having had a look at some Oxford fan sites there seems a fair amount of doubt as to whether they would or should pay £500k+. Worth noting that for the most part League 1 transfers are frees, out of contracts or figures in the low £100k's.

6 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I noticed Oxford fans telling him to join them on Twitter last night.

Personally feel we should be looking for over a million with add ons.

Come on, he's closer to 30 than he is 20 and he got half a dozen goals and assists for Motherwell in the Scottish Premiership last season. 

Not a fucking hope we'll get anywhere near a million for him, never mind more than that. 

We paid 30k for him 18 months ago, anything over 500k(with some sort of sell on) would represent an excellent piece of business by the club IMHO.

That "HITC" thing was an obvious agent piece - but there's no doubt that Johnson is playing like someone who wants a move and I'm sure there would be interest in him as he has the pace and physique to do ok at a decent level down south. To me, he is at a similar level to Chris Humphrey, who had a decent enough time of it in League 1 down south before he got long term injured - so I would guess that's the level that Marvin would play at. Agree with Casagolda - £1m is pie in the sky but he may well end up being one of our best bits of business for a few years as we will move him on at a considerable profit - I think I would only put Anier, Murphy (when his sell on is taken into account) and Ojamma in that bracket as we have massively struggled to get any sort of fees for our best players over and above standard development fees.

If/when Johnson goes, he'd surely go with our best wishes as he's been v decent and you'd hope the club already have his replacement in mind if our scouting system is any good. Bad as it is to say, it's probably fortuitous that Moult has his injury now and won't build up any hype between now and the transfer window closing as I'm surprised that he's not being mentioned for a move..

12 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Oxford United make enquiry over Motherwell's Marvin Johnson but have not made formal bid

Looks like there may actually have been an element of truth in the story.

Oxford_United_declare_interest_in_Motherwell_winger_Marvin_Johnson

Scott Mullen reporting it as well. Interesting that it's an "enquiry" and not a formal bid.

Edit: Just read the Oxford Mail story Casagolda linked to and I suppose this part is quite telling:

"But sources at United this morning made it clear while a polite enquiry had been made about Johnson's availability, no formal approach had followed.

They are monitoring the situation, but the chances of securing a move for a player who would command a significant transfer fee at this stage was described as "unlikely"."

Edited by capt_oats

32 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Oxford_United_declare_interest_in_Motherwell_winger_Marvin_Johnson

Scott Mullen reporting it as well. Interesting that it's an "enquiry" and not a formal bid.

Edit: Just read the Oxford Mail story Casagolda linked to and I suppose this part is quite telling:

"But sources at United this morning made it clear while a polite enquiry had been made about Johnson's availability, no formal approach had followed.

They are monitoring the situation, but the chances of securing a move for a player who would command a significant transfer fee at this stage was described as "unlikely"."

Mildly reassuring, that. While Dundee have seen Hemmings go for relative pennies, and Stewart on his way, it looks like we've made it clear what our price is, and they're welcome to meet it.

2 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Mildly reassuring, that. While Dundee have seen Hemmings go for relative pennies, and Stewart on his way, it looks like we've made it clear what our price is, and they're welcome to meet it.

Yeah, it's an interesting one as Mullen's article goes off on a slightly different tack saying that a further approach is expected while the Oxford Mail are saying it's "unlikely". Even Appleton seems to have said they're not expecting to do any further business before the start of the season. The only real difference with the stories running today vs the "bid rejected" one that ran yesterday is the clarification that there was no formal offer.