Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'm not even arsed about getting rid of Chalmers, if we could just sign a serviceable left back, of any description, that'd be ideal.

In addition, it's a real shame how things have worked out for Laing. As others have mentioned, there's a player in there for sure. He's a big, lad, with plenty of pace, and under Baraclough's 'get the ball to f**k' centre-half play, he seemed to do okay. Hope he gets it sorted, comes back and eats Kenny Miller's heart.

Edited by thisGRAEME

19 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I'm not even arsed about getting rid of Chalmers, if we could just sign a serviceable left back, of any description, that'd be ideal.

In addition, it's a real shame how things have worked out for Laing. As others have mentioned, there's a player in there for sure. He's a big, lad, with plenty of pace, and under Baraclough's 'get the ball to f**k' centre-half play, he seemed to do okay. Hope he gets it sorted, comes back and eats Kenny Miller's heart.

I think that's it. If they need to keep Chalmers around to make up the numbers because they can't get him off the books then fair enough but McGhee's already admitted he doesn't really know what his best position is. To persist with him as the sole cover to Hammell in the hope that he comes good (especially if there is budget available) is a simply avoiding the question.

McGhee obviously doesn't rate Laing at centre half and his attempts to turn him into a solution for our right back/holding midfielder problems last season both ultimately failed, so given the signings of Tait, McHugh and Heneghan we really don't have any use for him anymore.

He's probably on a decent wedge as well and if by getting him out the door we can use the money to help bring in an attack minded midfielder then I'm all for it.

He certainly has all the attributes to be a good footballer but for the most part, for whatever strange reason, just isn't. Or certainly hasn't been consistently enough during his time with us, admittedly bad injuries at key times probably played there part. 

Definitely a player in there somewhere but we just didn't see it often enough. 

Edited by Casagolda

I really like Big Louis. Hopefully he does well at County...i'd like to see him back but it's got that "trial" feeling about it.

Got to agree with you on this.

I like him aswell, strong athletic big unit who always gave his all.

Would rather have seen him get a run out in the games Chalmers has played tbh. Midfield and even (crazy talk time) left back.

5 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

He's probably on a decent wedge as well and if by getting him out the door we can use the money to help bring in an attack minded midfielder then I'm all for it.

According to the official website, that's Craig Clay...

I can't remember if it was the St.Mirren 5-0 game or Accies 4-0 game, but Tony went on some tremendous, mazy run by about 4 opposition players, looking like Marvin Johnson.  About 30 seconds later, he fucked the ball over the East Stand trying to get it up the park. 

One of a kind.  

Edited by Desp

It's just not worked out for Laing but as mentioned there was definitely a player there somewhere.

I'm sure someone posted on steelmen online (may have been capt oats or ya beezer) showing that our defence conceded at lot less goals with Laing in the team. Good luck to him.

I'd imagine he'll be a higher earner as well so hopefully we do get an attacking midfielder or a left back.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

According to the official website, that's Craig Clay...

Is that what it says? 

:lol:

Guys looked alright so far but as I said when we signed him, he's not looked like the midfielder we've been crying out for which is really a replacement for Pearson. Clay's 24 and he's scored 8(eight) goals in his entire career, Pearson managed more goals than that in less than 30 games last season.

Bizarre that we now have McHugh, Lasley and Clay signed up who all look like vaguely similar players, with another sitting midfielder in Lucas still on 'trial' with the club. Meanwhile the clubs supposed top youngster, who we recently gave a 3 year contract to, is also a defensive midfielder.

Edited by Casagolda

15 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

It's just not worked out for Laing but as mentioned there was definitely a player there somewhere.

I'm sure someone posted on steelmen online (may have been capt oats or ya beezer) showing that our defence conceded at lot less goals with Laing in the team. Good luck to him.

I'd imagine he'll be a higher earner as well so hopefully we do get an attacking midfielder or a left back.

It was Joeboy I think.

14 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Is that what it says? 

:lol:

Guys looked alright so far but as I said when we signed him, he's not looked like the midfielder we've been crying out for which is really a replacement for Pearson. Clay's 24 and he's scored 8(eight) goals in his entire career, Pearson managed more goals than that in less than 30 games last season.

Bizarre that we now have McHugh, Lasley and Clay signed up who all look like vaguely similar players, with another sitting midfielder in Lucas still on 'trial' with the club. Meanwhile the clubs supposed top youngster, who we recently gave a 3 year contract to, is also a defensive midfielder.

The only thing I can really think is that there's (possibly) a broader plan here that might see Campbell (and Turnbull, who's actually much closer to the sort of player we need IMO) loaned out, Lasley being used less this season and Cadden being asked to do the attacking side of Pearson's job until Pearson comes back in January (if that's what's actually happening) and Clay being in there to do the more physical side that Pearson was good at. It's kind of weird to think that there's been a general consensus that we've been short on holding midfielders over the past few years now we seem to have a raft of them.

I still get the feeling that Clay is probably more an affordable squad player than anything, possibly to allow a couple of the u20s who would otherwise have been sitting on the bench to go out and get first team football on loan.

If it is the case that there are a couple of u20 loans out (Craigan hinted as much the other week in his interview) then for the 3 central midfield positions you've got 3 from; Clay, Lasley, McHugh, Cadden. You could probably argue a case for there being room for one or even 2 more?

I went along to the under 20's game again tonight. They impressed me again and were a tad unlucky to not to take it to extra time. Mackin's goal was a beauty as well so look out for that in the highlights.

For large spells you wouldn't have been able to tell who the league 1 side and who were the youth team. The 20's actually play better football and are better on the ball than the first team. There's more of a structure and a way they play if that makes sense.

Ross McLean looks a player. The left side centre back was very good on the ball as well.

Enjoyed the game tonight. Craigan seems to have them playing with a fair bit of composure and it's refreshing to see them comfortable on the ball in all areas of the park and happy to keep possession and move the ball about on the deck.

I'd be interested to know to what sort of levels Airdrie were playing as there wasn't really that much between the teams though having said that they missed a few absolute sitters gifted to them.