Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

MFC being linked with an attacking midfielder via the always vague and speculative HITC site. Motherwell being mentioned alongside Wigan, Preston, Burnley and Chesterfield as having an interest in James Hardy who apparently plays as a #10 but is comfortable out on the wing.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/08/25/wigan-preston-motherwell-chesterfield-burnley-chase-non-league-a/

As is standard he's got a wee YouTube highlights packages if you want a look at some camcorder footage from the Conference North then fill your boots below.

When gauging a player's ability off a YouTube video, please bear in mind this video:

Now this guy looks like a serious player.

35 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

When gauging a player's ability off a YouTube video, please bear in mind this video:

Now this guy looks like a serious player.

Quite. Though that video of Hardy is quite amusing in so much as it's all from the same game and includes him getting on the ball and giving it away. It's less "highlights" and more a 9 minute video of when he got a touch of the ball. The sidebar on the actual YouTube page (rather than the embedded video) has a few of his recent goals as well. A couple of quite tidy finishes tbf.

To be honest, what's more interesting to me is the idea that we'd be taking a look at him, as thisGRAEME alludes there have been fairly mixed messages coming out of the club. One week we're apparently looking at players, the next we've spent our budget then the week after that we're apparently over budget all with minimal movement one way or another. Earlier in the week when asked whether Laing going out on loan meant McGhee could bring in other players his response was that it was more about balancing the books.

Again, everyone knows that taking McGhee at face value is fairly daft as he just says whatever he wants but if it is the case that we have been looking at Hardy, and for all HITC are pretty speculative they were the first to report Oxford's interest in Johnson, then it's notable that Lucas still seems to be at the club (played, and scored, for the 20s during the week) and if we're looking at Hardy then whether we sign him or not or the club is just being used by an agent to fly a kite for their client it may well be the case that we're in the market for an attacking midfielder as well.

It would seem to suggest that a new left back is but a pipe dream for the moment unless someone wants to come along and take Joe Chalmers off our hands though.

17 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

Does that video just show every touch of the ball that he had during a game? There's clips in there of heavy touches, giving the ball away....hardly a great advertisement.

Pretty much aye. I was watching it and thought it was quite a weird selection. It seems to have been posted by his management/agents too rather than just some random with a video camera. Edit: I've added a couple of his goals in the spoiler below.

FWIW, they're Coulibaly's agents as well from the looks of things.

Spoiler

Edited by capt_oats

Interesting (and heartening) to hear McGhee being as vocal about Cadden's omission from the u21s especially given his role with the senior side. It's debatable whether or not he's a better option than Gauld, Henderson, Macleod, Storie or Slater but either way he's been playing well week in, week out and is a fixture in Motherwell's first team you'd have thought he'd have been in the conversation.

To be honest I'd say his observation about there being no Motherwell players in the u-19s squad is as significant. Given the comprehensive Youth Cup win and general level of improvement under Craigan it seems surprising that one or two of that group haven't been viewed as worth a call up for a friendly.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14706009.Mark_McGhee_vents_as_Ricky_Sbragia_snubs_Motherwell_ace_Chris_Cadden_for_Scotland_call_up/?ref=twtrec

Delighted for Cadden to get the recognition. Hopefully it's adds a few quid to any potential transfer fee if he goes.

Although I must say the faux outrage over his initial inclusion was a bit strange. He's a player yes, but are folk expecting him to be above the likes of Gauld and Henderson in the pecking order?

Delighted for Cadden to get the recognition. Hopefully it's adds a few quid to any potential transfer fee if he goes.

Although I must say the faux outrage over his initial inclusion was a bit strange. He's a player yes, but are folk expecting him to be above the likes of Gauld and Henderson in the pecking order?

Gauld, possibly not; Henderson, absolutely. Henderson has played a single half for Celtic this season. Cadden has been one of our standout players for about 8 months now.

I reckon Sbragia didn't even know Cadden existed tbh.

Reported by the same mob that broke the news of Oxford's bid for him, so you have to imagine they've got a good source. Probably his agent.

Not totally surprised, didn't look interested at all on Saturday. Great timing though, less than three days before the window shuts. 

Did I not read the other day McGhee saying he had a back up plan should such a situation arise?

Edited by Casagolda

2 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Reported by the same mob that broke the news of Oxford's bid for him, so you have to imagine they've got a good source. Probably his agent.

Not totally surprised, didn't look interested at all on Saturday. Great timing though, less than three days before the window shuts. 

Did I not read the other day McGhee saying he had a back up plan should such a situation arise?

Joe03062015I.jpg