Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

10 hours ago, Al B said:

Away at Dunfermline around that time is the most I've ever laughed at the football.

There's no time for laughing at Dunfermline Away.  There's steak bridies to be eaten!

As for the flexi-ticket, it's a fantastic idea.  I know there wasn't much of an uptake the first year they brought it in, but the fact they're still going with it would suggest it's picked up.

I'm lucky enough to have had a ST for a number of years now, but I know if anything were to change then this will be bought next year.

10 hours ago, Al B said:

Away at Dunfermline around that time is the most I've ever laughed at the football. The Well Bois had gone round every player doing their song, including 2 of the subs who were warming up right in front of us. The 3rd sub was Stuart Carswell who hadn't really played much yet and you could sense everyone wondering what was going to happen for him, before an instinctive chorus of "Song for Stuart Carswell....oh we've no song for Stuart Carswell...". The timing of the whole thing was "had-to-be-there" genius and the 3 subs were absolutely gutting themselves.

[pedant] It was Easter Rd* [/pedant] :)

That was the peak season for fun at away games - the Bois were at their peak and we were winning everywhere.....

*or it was so good, they sang it twice.

I'm with @Al B on this one, sure it was East End Park. Think we won 2-0 if my memory serves me and Ojamaa scored an absolute screamer. Might have sang it at Easter Road as well mind.

Catching up on Cadden, that's a great bit of business by the club and well deserved for his continuing improvement and his consistency this season. One of the first names on the team sheet for me, hard to believe this time last year he hadn't even started a game for the club yet. Remarkable 10 months or so for the boy and you get the feeling there's still much more to come.

Edited by Casagolda

Aye it was definitely East End Park in the sunshine...was a great day all-round, but it kinda caught on and became his song for a few games.

Delighted with the Cadden news, he's got all the attributes to be playing at an extremely high level by his mid-20's. Huge turn-around from the way the club operated even a couple of seasons ago in terms of getting youngsters into the side and contracted.

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

I'm with @Al B on this one, sure it was East End Park. Think we won 2-0 if my memory serves me and Ojamaa scored an absolute screamer. Might have sang it at Easter Road as well mind.

Catching up on Cadden, that's a great bit of business by the club and well deserved for his continuing improvement and his consistency this season. One of the first names on the team sheet for me, hard to believe this time last year he hadn't even started a game for the club yet. Remarkable 10 months or so for the boy and you get the feeling there's still much more to come.

Aye I mind that game, I remember Chris Humphrey going past two defenders to set him up for the goal too in what looked like the easiest beat I've ever seen. Probably why the pars didn't last too long in the league.

32 minutes ago, Al B said:

Aye it was definitely East End Park in the sunshine...was a great day all-round, but it kinda caught on and became his song for a few games.

Delighted with the Cadden news, he's got all the attributes to be playing at an extremely high level by his mid-20's. Huge turn-around from the way the club operated even a couple of seasons ago in terms of getting youngsters into the side and contracted.

I was at both games - and I remember the song at Easter Rd - but I'll bow to the majority :)

On the 2nd point - I was thinking the same thing and it kind of shows off the period where Leeann Dempster was in charge in a pretty bad light actually. The short term-ism of that time (despite the high finishes) and the lack of a coherent strategy is really clear and despite the positive press she got (and the good career move on the back of it), I think her legacy isn't a positive one.

Away at Dunfermline around that time is the most I've ever laughed at the football. The Well Bois had gone round every player doing their song, including 2 of the subs who were warming up right in front of us. The 3rd sub was Stuart Carswell who hadn't really played much yet and you could sense everyone wondering what was going to happen for him, before an instinctive chorus of "Song for Stuart Carswell....oh we've no song for Stuart Carswell...". The timing of the whole thing was "had-to-be-there" genius and the 3 subs were absolutely gutting themselves.

On the subject of the Flexi-Ticket, I'm back to a ST this season but for the last two I've had a Flexi-Ticket and it's brilliant if you know you will only make it to a few games. You just take it to the ticket office before kick-off of whatever game you fancy, and they give you a match ticket then delete one game from your account. It's a great idea and works really well.

This definitely happened at East End Park. It was my first motherwell game in 6 years so I remember it well [emoji3] Ojamaa scored a screamer and Higdon got a lucky goal that squeaked under the keeper that day.

38 minutes ago, Swello said:

On the 2nd point - I was thinking the same thing and it kind of shows off the period where Leeann Dempster was in charge in a pretty bad light actually. The short term-ism of that time (despite the high finishes) and the lack of a coherent strategy is really clear and despite the positive press she got (and the good career move on the back of it), I think her legacy isn't a positive one.

^^^ absolutely this.

Factor in the losses we were posting almost season on season it really doesn't seem like anyone comes out of that period looking good in terms of legacy.

2008/09: - £704,000

2009/10: £18,884

2010/11: £541,863

2011/12: -£600,000

2012/13: - £184,500

2013/14: - £184.854

FWIW: accounts posted prior to that were;

2005/06: £50,000

2006/07: £7,000

2007/08: £380,000

Cadden was good last season when he broke through but this seasons he's taken a further big stride.  For me the two most important players in our squad are Cadden and McDonald.

Either of those aren't playing for what ever reason and we are significantly weaker.

Cadden was good last season when he broke through but this seasons he's taken a further big stride.  For me the two most important players in our squad are Cadden and McDonald.

Either of those aren't playing for what ever reason and we are significantly weaker.

Without McDonald we have nobody who can hold a ball up and link play between midfield and attack.

Without Cadden there's nobody in that midfield who actually is willing to run on beyond the forwards.

Cadds is my favourite player since Jim Paterson, and that's high praise from me.

We played them twice at East End Park that season, IIRC.

The 4-2 game was early doors in the season. Higdon x2, Murphy and Humphrey I believe. I was at that one. Wasn't at the 2-0 game, circa January/early Feb?

I remember that game as well. We were 3-0 up and absolutely strolling it before they got a couple out of nowhere swiftly followed by our 4th, nipping the game in the bud. I got the train back to Edinburgh afterwards too and there was a laughable altercation between a Dunfermline young team and Motherwell fans waiting on trains. Very brave they were shouting abuse at us from across the train tracks.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2016/11/08/the-john-hunter-stand/

Great to see this.  I assume there won't be too many about these days who can recall a Sailor Hunter side, or even the news of his passing, but there is no doubt he is a Motherwell Football Club legend, if not the Motherwell legend.  

I've been of the opinion for years that MFC went way over the top following Davie Cooper's unfortunate passing.  I very much doubt we'd have renamed a stand if it had built three years earlier, for example.  A suite and a memorial wall, no problem.  I felt, and still feel to this day, that there's many more people who deserve(d) the honour of having a stand named after them.  John Hunter was one of them.  

The football club, and board, take enough stick when it's due, so it's only fair to give them the credit for a move like this. 

You're right.  It's the worst of the stands we have, but it's the only one available.  Which brings me back to the point of going OTT in 1995.  

The argument of it being numerous years too late is perfectly valid, but they're doing something about it.  It obviously fits in with 50 years since he passed, so it's obviously been thought about for a while.

A "fitting legacy" would probably be naming the whole ground after him, or something like naming one of the streets which leads up to the ground after him, but i'm not sure of the logistics in making either of them happen.