Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

There's yer Russell Griffiths signed on loan from Everton. I imagine that's Dean Brill on his way then.

Facebook account confirms Brill has left in search of first team opportunities.

Quite disappointed that we never got to see Brill but, as has been said numerous times, if he couldn't get a game over Samson he must not have been up to much.

Not wanting to get too excited, but reading between the lines, Everton aren't going to recall a 'keeper from Cheltenham in League 2, to send him up to Scotland to sit on the bench at Motherwell.

Surely there's an agreement here that he'll be getting games?

What's the script between Motherwell and Everton?  Has it purely been from the goodwill following Faddy's transfer?  That's four players we've had on loan from them within the last decade.

Just now, Ron Aldo said:

Facebook account confirms Brill has left in search of first team opportunities.

Quite disappointed that we never got to see Brill but, as has been said numerous times, if he couldn't get a game over Samson he must not have been up to much.

Yeah, they've just put a tweet out about Brill leaving as well. Can't help but read it with a sarcastic tone myself "Good luck Dean." Quite.

I've mentioned before that I'd watched Brill in u20s games and he looked like a player who had only played 20 mins of competitive football in 2 years (which is what he is). It's a shame but that injury really seems to have taken it out him. If you have a look at the goals he concedes against Aberdeen in this u20s game below you'll probably see what I'm getting at (goals at 1:00 and 4:35) he just kind of slowly goes down in stages.

25 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Yeah, they've just put a tweet out about Brill leaving as well. Can't help but read it with a sarcastic tone myself "Good luck Dean." Quite.

I've mentioned before that I'd watched Brill in u20s games and he looked like a player who had only played 20 mins of competitive football in 2 years (which is what he is). It's a shame but that injury really seems to have taken it out him. If you have a look at the goals he concedes against Aberdeen in this u20s game below you'll probably see what I'm getting at (goals at 1:00 and 4:35) he just kind of slowly goes down in stages.

I also think he looked a bit 'bulky' if you get me.

Not quite Conrad Logan, but not looking like the most athletic gentleman.

What's the script between Motherwell and Everton?  Has it purely been from the goodwill following Faddy's transfer?  That's four players we've had on loan from them within the last decade.

Might be down to the fact we get them on loan and play them then when they go back they manage to sell them.

Few million for juke and ruddy

30 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Reading loanee

Hopefully he's better than our last loanee from Reading.. 

Scottish u21 international eh?

I could understand why we'd look for cover if Laing and/or Kennedy are heading out the door but bringing in a centre half on loan seems a bit odd unless Heneghan's off as you'd have thought Reading would actually want him to play and up until now Heneghan and McManus have been established a pairing.

Edit: going by his transfermarkt profile he's out of contract in the summer http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/zak-jules/profil/spieler/309041

Edited by capt_oats

8 hours ago, Desp said:

Not wanting to get too excited, but reading between the lines, Everton aren't going to recall a 'keeper from Cheltenham in League 2, to send him up to Scotland to sit on the bench at Motherwell.

Surely there's an agreement here that he'll be getting games?

They are our feeder club

Whether you're a fan of McGhee or not, to be honest I'm not even sure myself half the time, he's here till at least the end of the season so there's little point in complaining. Something I wished most of our fans on social media understood, that no matter how many times they respond with 'MCGOO OOT!!' every time we concede a corner he's not going anywhere any time soon.

His objectives at the start of the season seem to have been to keep us up and develop a few more of the youngsters, time will tell if he actually achieves those goals before the end of the season or not but the success or failure to meet these targets I expect will have a large bearing on whether or not he get's a new contract come May.

On more pressing matters, I don't think it's a stretch to say the next 24-48 on hours on and off the pitch will have a massive impact on the rest of our season. With the window about to shut I'm curious to see where we're still trying to strengthen, also intrigued to see if there will be any outgoings from Fir Park over the next few days. Be it fringe players like Kennedy, Laing and Blyth or even Lionel who never got on again at the weekend, I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two move on. Or if someone comes sniffing about with a late offer for Moult. With a game in Dingwall on Tuesday night you'd think we'd want our business wrapped up tomorrow or Tuesday morning at the latest, so tomorrow should be interesting. 

On that game in Dingwall, with the bottom two facing each other a win could potentially put some real daylight between us and them and even move us into the top six. Lose though and it becomes 1 win in 8 League games with Hearts(h), Aberdeen(a) & Celtic(a) coming up next and we could potentially be dragged right down to the foot of the table. Still. as I've said before, whenever McGhee's been down a hole as Motherwell manager before in both spells he's always managed to dig himself out with a couple of results so here's hoping he can do similar over our next couple of games.

Edited by Casagolda

I reckon the team selection on Tuesday night will have a bearing on any last minute departures for any key players, which I hope isn't the case, but its safe to say if Moult plays we have him for the season and if he's left out then we've sold him.  I will await with interest on that one.

I noticed Alan Burrows saying on Twitter the other day that they were hopeful of doing some more business, I may be reading too much into that but it suggests more than one. I'd have thought any ins or outs would be done tomorrow rather than on Tuesday. If more are coming in then you'd surely expect a couple to be leaving whether going directly to another club or simply as a mutual termination as happened with Twardzik and Reid around the same time last year.

For what it's worth I think it's telling that we've been really low key during this window with regards Moult, the difference between this window and last has been marked. Almost every press conference was talking up Johnson, this window there has barely been a peep about our "sellable assets". It'd suggest that we're not actively looking for or fielding offers. If we bumped the approach from WSW for McDonald as well then it'd suggest we're not looking to move key players on.