Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Motherwell have four players in the U16s, one in the U17s, one in the U19s & two in the U21s, all of whom are current or Academy alumni.

Not elite though.

It's a staggering set of affairs. Majority of clubs protested agaisnt the most recent talks on the "Project", and were told to simply accept it or the authorities would just set up an elite league with four clubs anyway.

I'm not sure of the latest position on Project Brave - the club have gone kind of quiet on it of late, with only a few oblique references here and there. Given how vociferous Alan Burrows was on the subject (and quite rightly as it could f**k our business model entirely), I'm guessing that there has been some sort of rethink on the flawed pile of shite that was first mooted.

I'm not sure of the latest position on Project Brave - the club have gone kind of quiet on it of late, with only a few oblique references here and there. Given how vociferous Alan Burrows was on the subject (and quite rightly as it could f**k to our business model entirely), I'm guessing that there has been some sort of rethink on the flawed pile of shite that was first mooted.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-stewart-regan-enraged-top-11225188.amp

'Now we’re looking at a scenario where the five clubs everyone always knew would be there are, and clubs such as Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Hamilton, who actually have produced players through their systems, are being forced to try to join them at the end of the barrel of a gun, even if the consequences are ruinous for them financially.'

50 minutes ago, mjw said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-stewart-regan-enraged-top-11225188.amp

'Now we’re looking at a scenario where the five clubs everyone always knew would be there are, and clubs such as Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Hamilton, who actually have produced players through their systems, are being forced to try to join them at the end of the barrel of a gun, even if the consequences are ruinous for them financially.'

Makes me angry reading that - and I'm mystified that Regan is still in a job given the debacle he's presided over for the past few years - by any reasonable measure, he's an abject failure and should not be trusted to deliver something this important.

If the statement attributed to him in that piece is true, it simply smacks of someone who knows which side his bread's buttered on and understands that his survival simply hinges on keeping the bigger clubs on-side. Even if you charitably interpret it as a negotiating tactic, a threat to disenfranchise everyone except the bigger city clubs just exposes the dysfunctional mess that passes for football governance in this country. The health of the mid-sized town clubs is actually important and the game in general needs these clubs to produce good young players as these are precisely the clubs where there is pathway to 1st team football for them. The OF, despite their facilities, have a fucking laughable record of bringing players through (despite presumably having the pick of young players) and to bet the farm on them changing their ways is hilariously naive. 

At a time where the game here needs some imagination and skill to re-invigorate it, we're stuck with a total fucking non-entity.

I guess the marketing bit he can point to some success - I thought the season ticket marketing was really good this year and I would imagine that will be the main thing in his remit. We sold more season tickets and crowds seem to be up - so he can rightly take some credit.

The fan engagement thing wasn't a success IMO - I thought the SLO thing was completely overcooked and most people ran a mile from it. It had a huge job description that strongly made it feel like it should be a paid role rather than a volunteer thing with some perks. In a supporter-base like ours, there are vanishingly few people that could ever meet the criteria (eg -  committing to be there for every away game) and it was never likely to be a success. To be clear - I like the idea of an SLO but in a club like ours' it would need to be done differently and built up from something more modest at first.

It seems that  people who actually met the guy found him decent and folk that followed him on twitter found him a bit of a dick. My only impression based on his twitter stuff is that he thought the english lads culture/#bantz worked here, when it really doesn't.

57 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Celtic game bumped from 21st October to 29th November at 19:45 (on account of the LC semi-final).

Means we've now got a home and away double header against them on 29th Nov and 2nd December.

League cup final is Sunday 26th, so should we both win our semi's it would be 3 meetings in a week. 

Who said Scottish football is repetitive.? 

Imagine beating them in the League Cup Final then parading the Cup to the home support three days later when we play them again at Fir Park. Carlsberg don't do 'GIRFUY Sellics' but if they did, they'd be the best 'GIRUY Sellic' since the 22nd of May 2005.

After a week away there was three games to look back upon when Sparra and Busta were joined by Andrew Paterson.

The superb Betfred Cup victory over Aberdeen, the league defeat to the same opponents and Saturday’s 3-0 win over Partick Thistle are all reviewed. Also on the agenda was the cup semi-final against Rangers and a look ahead to the Lanarkshire Derby against Hamilton.

http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2017-18-episode-11/