Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

10 minutes ago, WellView said:

Tonight's starting eleven is the one I hoped would start on Sunday.  Famous last words but I reckoned Petra and Frear could do them some damage. I also wanted to see Campbell go head to head with Brown.

I'm away to the game - COYW. 

Maybe I’m a bit old fashioned, but I thought to get a penalty there has to have been a foul committed. Where’s the foul there? Stop talking about contact and get back to talking about fouls.

6 hours ago, mjw said:

How the f**k did that happen?

It was one of the more surreal things I've seen there. Hauling Tommy Sheridan out of hospitality with his Celtic scarf on, for a wee chat about the bhoys...I particularly enjoyed the stunned silence after the intro. "We've got a couple of people here to do the draw that you'll know" <everyone expects former 'Well players> "Tommy Sheridan and Des Clarke!!" <stunned silence> 

Edited by Swello

16 hours ago, WellView said:

Tonight's starting eleven is the one I hoped would start on Sunday.  Famous last words but I reckoned Petra and Frear could do them some damage. I also wanted to see Campbell go head to head with Brown.

I'm away to the game - COYW. 

On this (cause the match thread is a painful read I’ll post here)-

I think last night emphasised Campbell’s importance to this team, while Grimshaw played well at Pittodrie I don’t thing he deserved the nod ahead of Campbell for the final. Probably about the only thing I could criticise Robinson for this week because the way he’s handled these past two games on and off the pitch has been excellent.

Anyway Campbell was tremendous last night and I’d happily watch hours of footage on a loop of him tearing into tackles and bodying people.  Very good player too which probably goes unappreciated at times due to his engine and the sheer amount of ground he covers. He rarely gave the ball away last night and showed great feet and composure to get himself out of some tight areas. 

Not sure what to make of Petravicius, was obviously a difficult night to make your full debut in but he didn’t seem overly involved and felt we looked far better 2nd half with Rose in the middle and Cadden out wide. Frear put in a good shift and got himself into good positions but his final ball was shocking.

In contrast  I thought Tanner looked very good  when he came on and looked the the most likely to create a goal(which he did). His goals/assists to stats ratio must be fairly decent, surely due another start soon? Only problem is I’m still not sure where you play him.

Also noticed Alan Burrows saying we’ve got the same number of points this season as we did when Robinson took charge of his first game last season... on the 4th of March. 

That’s some turnaround in itself before you even begin to mention the cup run. 

Edited by Casagolda

15 hours ago, Desp said:

Tommy Sheridan doing the half time draw is a new low.

I cannot fire the life of me fathom why this was even considered let alone allowed to happen.

It's not as if it's not reasonably well known where Sheridan's football allegiances lie (although one look at him would all but confirm it tbh) so what in the name of sanity possessed us to bring him out at half time, Celtic scarf and all.

It's bad enough being shafted on the park by Celtic without the club inviting one of their high profile fans to do it off the park.

18 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I think last night emphasised Campbell’s importance to this team, while Grimshaw played well at Pittodrie I don’t thing he deserved the nod ahead of Campbell for the final. Probably about the only thing I could criticise Robinson for this week because the way he’s handled these past two games on and off the pitch has been excellent.

Anyway Campbell was tremendous last night and I’d happily watch hours of footage on a loop of him tearing into tackles and bodying people.  Very good player too which probably goes unappreciated at times due to his engine and the sheer amount of ground he covers. He rarely gave the ball away last night and showed great feet and composure to get himself out of some tight areas. 

Not sure what to make of Petravicius, was obviously a difficult night to make your full debut in but he didn’t seem overly involved and felt we looked far better 2nd half with Rose in the middle and Cadden out wide. Frear put in a good shift and got himself into good positions but his final ball was shocking.

In contrast  I thought Tanner looked very good  when he came on and looked the the most likely to create a goal(which he did). His goals/assists to stats ratio must be fairly decent, surely due another start soon? Only problem is I’m still not sure where you play him.

Also noticed Alan Burrows saying we’ve got the same number of points this season as we did when Robinson took charge of his first game last season... on the 4th of March. 

On Campbell - I think he was rested at Aberdeen and Grimshaw came in and did really well and kept his place for the next game and there wasn't much else too it - but it was tough on Campbell (who is a better player when on his game) to miss out in the final starting places. His tackling ability in midfield made all the difference last night - Brown was doing his square pass routine from deep but the minute he stepped up at all, Campbell was all over him, which was great to see.

Petravicious showed in flashes against Hibs that if used properly (ie - with the ball in front of him), he could be a real asset with that pace (a Lithuanian Chris Humphrey? :) ) - not sure last night was the game for him to start though.

29 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Saw that and had a look. He's actually wrong. We're one point short. We were on 24 points when Robinson took charge at Killie. Which isn't really the point (and is entirely me being a pedantic dick). In terms of context that's a huge credit to Robinson, Lasley and Hinchcliffe (along with Craigan, McManus and Andy Boles). In fact it's worth mentioning we're 9 points ahead of where we were after 14 games of the 15/16 season too.

As it stands we've picked up 60% of last year's points total. We're looking at another 5 wins before the end of the season to match that and if previous seasons are anything to go by around 7 wins by the split to secure top 6 (which I think has roughly been 44 points required). Since the end of last season we've recruited 17 players this season and seen 20 either released/transferred or retire so as transitional seasons go this one hasn't been bad.

The biggest thing with Robinson seems to be attitude. There are absolutely no apologies for being "physical" and he's putting out a team to play to our strengths rather that what McGhee seemed to be doing last season where we were trying (and failing) to contain the opposition. As it is, he seems to have assembled a side who enjoy going out, competing and bodying teams. He's been handling the press side of things brilliantly as well.

Edited by capt_oats

This last week or so has totally proven what an asset Robinson is and if he comes across on the training pitch anywhere like he comes across on TV it's no wonder our players are giving so much more back than under previous managers. He's certainly a better man than I am , I could maybe have just about kept it together in a post match interview on Sunday but last night I would have made Kevin Keegan's rant look like a royal speech !

3 hours ago, nsr said:

I thought we'd left behind that kind of OF pandering with the John Boyle era.

Old Firm pandering perhaps, given how we handled the Rangers playoff allocation two years ago. But Celtic pandering? Not a chance sadly. We may not give them the entire Cooper anymore but we allow their support to swan all over the ground and the associated clubs and suites acting however they want. And if that's not bad enough we get a high profile Celtic supporting MP to do a half time draw and give him a platform to talk of his love of Celtic and how he hopes they win the match. This is OUR home ground, OUR home game and so therefore the match day experience should be catered for OUR own entertainment, not cosying up to a club who treat us with contempt and rolling out the red carpet to them to piss on whilst laughing at us. Rule number one in life - give skeelit chancers an inch and they will take a mile, so give them absolutely nothing.

The club have improved on the PR and fan relations front significantly over the past year and for that they deserve credit, but there are still some things we can improve on and last night's half time stunt was a major own goal which I hope never, ever happens again.

3 hours ago, Casagolda said:

I was a wee bit disappointed in Petravicius, and surprised to see him playing down the right. I was under the impression he was a left-sided player. I think there is a player in there somewhere, he needs a few starts to get up tyo speed, and I think he'll do well against the lesser opposition. 

Frear - I agree. He's a player capable of doing serious damage running at a defence, he seemed to be like a deer caught in the headlights last night. I want to see our players driving into the box more often, way too often they're going for speculative shots when not under pressure. 

Tanner - magic. He'll do fine when Moult goes next month. I'm hearing he's defo off due to the implications of the sell-on clause. Directors are taking a collective whitey at the idea of him being sold on in a couple of years for a few million and us getting nothing. Quite right. 

Campbell - best young player I've seen in a Motherwell jersey since McFadden.  That young man could walk into any premier league team today, and I include Celtic in that.  

I can't read it......Have the club got the worst hosting deal in the world?? The number of times that the site is unavailable when we make any kind of press release (minor signing, new strip, a hopefully seethe dripping statement :) )  is bizarre. I'd happily chip into a crowd funder to get them a decent host....

1 minute ago, Swello said:

I can't read it......Have the club got the worst hosting deal in the world?? The number of times that the site is unavailable when we make any kind of press release (minor signing, new strip, a hopefully seethe dripping statement :) )  is bizarre. I'd happily chip into a crowd funder to get them a decent host....

Should be readable on the tweet. They've embedded the text.