Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, there's something more to it than just "we don't want to waste time and money".

It didn't stop them wasting time and money appealing (and losing) Richard Tait's booking for simulation against Hibs or Charles Dunne's last man shove in the back in the LC game against County. The very fact that of the many we've appealed this season one of the few we've actually been successful with was Dunne's appeal for a straight red after Cummins' dive in the St Johnstone game makes you think that it should have been a similar outcome as the two cases were almost exactly the same. Even down to the same ref.

I think Robinson was also quoted in the article as saying Cedric might not be here and could be playing in the premier league in England next year. He has always looked a bombscare when I have seen him but you guys will be more qualified than me. Is he really capable of playing at a much higher level ? 

3 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

I think Robinson was also quoted in the article as saying Cedric might not be here and could be playing in the premier league in England next year. He has always looked a bombscare when I have seen him but you guys will be more qualified than me. Is he really capable of playing at a much higher level ? 

He's being slightly hyperbolic if he's saying "in the Premier League" but he's got all the attributes physically to play at a much higher level. Absolutely. It's a question of seeing how he develops.

It's worth mentioning that this is his first season playing first team football. He came through PSG's youth system and we signed him from Leicester's u23s. Taking that into account then you're going to get mistakes from him but he started the season really well. He's strong, athletic and has a decent range of passing. Despite his bomb scare moments in the semi-final and the mistake against Hibs he's shown up pretty well all things considered.

36 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, there's something more to it than just "we don't want to waste time and money".

It didn't stop them wasting time and money appealing (and losing) Richard Tait's booking for simulation against Hibs or Charles Dunne's last man shove in the back in the LC game against County. The very fact that of the many we've appealed this season one of the few we've actually been successful with was Dunne's appeal for a straight red after Cummins' dive in the St Johnstone game makes you think that it should have been a similar outcome as the two cases were almost exactly the same. Even down to the same ref.

Edit: FWIW;

This was successfully appealed:
giphy.gif

But we're not going to "waste time and money" on this one? Hmmmmm.
giphy.gif

At least Thompson is consistently shite.

2 hours ago, Broony88 said:

He'll 100% most definitely play at a much higher level. He has all the rawness (and mistakes) that you'd expect from a 20 year old playing his first ever season of senior football, but also has all the attributes to go far. Aside from the fact that he's an absolute tank of a boy, he's a surprisingly decent footballing centre-half as well, and loves a run forward with the ball.

Pretty controlled press conferences from Robinson and Rose I thought - despite a few snidey wee questions to try to and get a headline before tomorrow's game. They sensibly stayed away from sounding like bad losers or paranoid delusionals (the's what supporters are there for) or by trying to stoke it up further. I'm not sure about the result tomorrow but I don't think we'll be going into the game on a downer...

The ones I've seen on-line (and even a couple I know IRL), are bizarrely raging that the penalty/red card is even been questioned. I guess it has deprived them of the moral high ground, which hasn't gone down well. If you can't play to a narrative that your lavishly funded team are like plucky underdogs that somehow won through (against a team that is on a seventeenth of your average wage), it must be tough.

I see Dembele is out for this week's games, he must have injured himself trying to maim McHugh when he was raging.

Edited by Swello

Clearly the SFA have already decided it was a red since they have refused to cite Sinclair for diving. Apparently no case to answer.

Although I don't think Cummins got a ban for diving after Dunne won his appeal so maybe I am being dense in looking for logic in how the SFA respond to these incidents.

Clearly the SFA have already decided it was a red since they have refused to cite Sinclair for diving. Apparently no case to answer.
Although I don't think Cummins got a ban for diving after Dunne won his appeal so maybe I am being dense in looking for logic in how the SFA respond to these incidents.

I would suspect it's just a cop out from the spfl/sfa on this one.

If it's a pen it's a red, if it's not a pen then it's a dive. If it's a dive then we have to punish a high profile Celtic player for diving.

Or....we could just do nothing and hope it all goes away.

10 minutes ago, Swello said:

The ones I've seen on-line (and even a couple I know IRL), are bizarrely raging that the penalty/red card is even been questioned. I guess it has deprived them of the moral high ground, which hasn't gone down well. If you can't play to a narrative that your lavishly funded team are like plucky underdogs that somehow won through (against a team that is on a seventeenth of your average wage), it must be tough.

I see Dembele is out for this week's games, he must have injured himself trying to maim McHugh when he was raging.

The logic they're twisting around is quite a sight to see.

For me:

Kipre - Ugly challenge, wouldn't have argued too much if he'd shown a red. 

Dembele - Ugly challenge, tries to do McHugh, but is shite at it. Probably a yellow, but the intent could argue it to a red.

Moult/Tierney - Not a penalty, but given what came after, when Tierney has made significantly more contact than Kipre does, I can see why folk are raging.

Sinclair - Dive. Simple as.

I mean, if you want to spend the evening after you've won a cup arguing about it on twitter about how because x happened y doesn't matter, batter in. Probably wouldn't be how I'd to it, tho.

Full believer of what goes around comes around, so I'll be laughing my dick off when that suitably terrible decision happens if anyone needs me.

I'm still not convinced the aforementioned Graham Cummins dived against Motherwell, he's simply that useless that I think he genuinely trips himself up and believes there's a touch. Don't think it was a dive which is why he wasn't cited, it was also never a penalty and was down to his clumsiness and stupidity more than anything.

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

I'm still not convinced the aforementioned Graham Cummins dived against Motherwell, he's simply that useless that I think he genuinely trips himself up and believes there's a touch. Don't think it was a dive which is why he wasn't cited, it was also never a penalty and was down to his clumsiness and stupidity more than anything.

:lol:

"We'd cite you, but we actually just think you're too shite to stay vertical."

Edited by thisGRAEME

:lol:

"We'd cite you, but we actually just think you're too shite to stay vertical."

Is exactly what should have happened. [emoji23]

He genuinely is that hopeless at scoring, banning him is potentially a disadvantage for the opposition teams. [emoji23]

The Dembele challenge was far more of a red card than Kipré one, his intent was clear and went fully over the top of the ball, getting none of it in the process.

Anyhoo, it’ll be interesting to see if Sinclair starts tomorrow, I’d imagine big Ced has a few choice words for him.