Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Nice bit of chat from a local journo.

IMG_2572.jpg

Sounds encouraging.

I prefer the traditional "spurned supporters telling us he was shite" approach that was pioneered with Chris Porter.

13 minutes ago, nsr said:

Hope he still has the beard from his Wikipedia page (circa 2015).

He did up until the last game of the season anyway...

12 hours ago, dezz said:

Interesting it’s a centre back. Replacement for Kipre if we’re cashing in? If not, I guess that rules out any return for Tom Aldred which is a bit of a shame.

I take it he done well for you guys? He was meant to be one of McCann's first targets before he signed on at some English club (Then subsequently joined you lot). Is it just me or does there seem to be an absolute abundance of decent quality level CH's going about just now? It's a bit infuriating considering we have Caulker, Meekings, Kusunga, O'Dea and Waddell as all competent players in that position.

11 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Nice bit of chat from a local journo.

IMG_2572.jpg

Sounds encouraging.

Liam Kennedy was the known bullshitter from the Evening Telegraph that subsequently left the Evening Tele to cover his home town team Newcastle (Before he was pushed due to his controversial style IMO) and then was demoted to covering Hartlepool after his tweets came to light about Sunderland (Apology article seen here: Link.). Even though it's merely him posting his judgement on a player, I'd take his comments with a massive pince of salt. He's about as over dramatic about things as @RandomGuy is on all things St Johnstone.

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I take it he done well for you guys? He was meant to be one of McCann's first targets before he signed on at some English club (Then subsequently joined you lot). Is it just me or does there seem to be an absolute abundance of decent quality level CH's going about just now? It's a bit infuriating considering we have Caulker, Meekings, Kusunga, O'Dea and Waddell as all competent players in that position.

We've 3 belting centrehalfs

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Liam Kennedy was the known bullshitter from the Evening Telegraph that subsequently left the Evening Tele to cover his home town team Newcastle (Before he was pushed due to his controversial style IMO) and then was demoted to covering Hartlepool after his tweets came to light about Sunderland (Apology article seen here: Link.). Even though it's merely him posting his judgement on a player, I'd take his comments with a massive pince of salt. He's about as over dramatic about things as @RandomGuy is on all things St Johnstone.

In fairness his comments have largely been backed up by Hartlepool fans themselves. Whilst maybe not as effusive as yer man there's been lots of "one of the few good players we have", "will be hard to replace", "a huge loss" and stuff like that.

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Aldred's been phenomenal. He pretty much seamlessly stepped into the back 3 when Peter Hartley dropped out through injury. It was Bury he had ended up at and they had a 'difficult' season, their fans absolutely hate him as well but the player who arrived at Fir Park couldn't have been further removed in terms of the sort of performances they were describing. He'll chuck himself into tackles, make blocks and is just generally solid as f**k.

Given Hartley was such a massive player (to the point we made his loan permanent after 6 months) it says a lot about Aldred that we barely missed him. The only game he didn't play the full 90 mins was his first game in the cup against Accies. He was an ever present after that.

All in all his Motherwell career amounts to 22 games in total of which 11 were clean sheets, 10 wins, 6 draws and 6 losses. A centre half who contributes to a defence with 50% clean sheet rate? We'll take it...

17 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I would absolutely love it if we signed Aldred again. Imagine a defence with him and Peter Hartley. Folk getting bodied all over the place.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Can only see it if Kipré were to go.  As it stands, we've got a back three of Kipré, Hartley and Dunne, with Donnelly and Maguire as back up.

Would be magic though. 

Might well be wrong but from what I’ve heard he has no intention of coming back(at this moment in time anyway). 

He was desperate to get off of the sinking ship that was Bury, we needed an experienced centre back to replace Hartley who was struggling with injuries and had a suspension looming  - It was a perfect short term solution for both parties. 

Imagine after his impressive form for us he’ll get himself a move closer to home if/when he leaves Bury. We’ve hopefully got a fully fit Hartley to slot back in for the start of next season, everyone’s a winner. 

Going by what’s been said about him, I actually reckon this boy Donnelly’s been signed with one eye on Kipre leaving in the next 6-12 months. 

11 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Might well be wrong but from what I’ve heard he has no intention of coming back(at this moment in time anyway). 

He was desperate to get off of the sinking ship that was Bury, we needed an experienced centre back to replace Hartley who was struggling with injuries and had a suspension looming  - It was a perfect short term solution for both parties. 

Imagine after his impressive form for us he’ll get himself a move closer to home if/when he leaves Bury. We’ve hopefully got a fully fit Hartley to slot back in for the start of next season, everyone’s a winner. 

Going by what’s been said about him, I actually reckon this boy Donnelly’s been signed with one eye on Kipre leaving in the next 6-12 months. 

Hammer. Nail. Head.

Seeing as that's my head back intact on my shoulders after the Simon Murray story yesterday, I'm curious as to whether Donnelly's been brought in with a specific role in mind ie: is he viewed as specifically a centre half or is he just that versatile that it's a no brainer to have him around the squad.

Going by his interview he's worked with Robinson and Craigan plenty through N.I and even Baraclough's his current u21s manager not to mention that he's played with Carson too it seems unlikely that we're getting any surprises with him.

All in all #welcomeliam

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Seeing as that's my head back intact on my shoulders after the Simon Murray story yesterday

You're being linked with Kenny Miller this morning...

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

You're being linked with Kenny Miller this morning...

In fairness that just seems to be a re-hash of this story from back in April that quoted our interest along with Hibs. Robinson was even asked about it at the time. It doesn't seem to be anything new, so to speak.

With the "Kenny Miller to Aberdeen" story they seem to have conflated all the clubs who have ever been vaguely linked with him.

18 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

In fairness that just seems to be a re-hash of this story from back in April that quoted our interest along with Hibs. Robinson was even asked about it at the time. It doesn't seem to be anything new, so to speak.

With the "Kenny Miller to Aberdeen" story they seem to have conflated all the clubs who have ever been vaguely linked with him.

I just enjoy how the media constantly link you lot, and Dundee, to players, and not one of them ever comes to anything :lol:

10 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

@capt_oats and @Casagolda in the posts above pretty much sum up my thoughts on Aldred perfectly.

The biggest compliment you can pay him is that we didn't miss Peter Hartley one bit after his injury. Considering Hartley was potentially our second best player (after Moult and possibly Carson) in the first half of the season that is saying something. 

I think it was Graeme Thewliss on the Terrace Podcast that said about 6 minutes into Aldred's debut against Accies he made a brilliant triple (i think?) block, throwing his body all over the shop to stop Accies getting a shot away and everyone just immediately thought 'aye, he'll do fine'. I'd be surprised if you could find a Motherwell fan who didn't think he was excellent for us.  

Just plucking names out the air but if he is to leave Bury and a return to us isn't on the cards, I think teams like Hearts, Killie, St J would be absolutely mental not to try and get him in. 

Edited by dezz

If he was available from Bury - it would be mental if we weren't in for him - so I had assumed he wasn't coming back to Scotland at all. If he were to end up at a similar club to us in our league, I'd be pretty fucking disappointed...