Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

As for Deadline Day, I suppose it was alright for us.  Still think we could have done with another forward, but at the same time if we're going to invest in guys like Long, Cole, Hylton and Seedorf, we better play them. 

Guys like Livingstone and Tanner weren't going to play for us so right to get them off the wage bill.  I don't know too much about Mark O'Hara, but he does seem like a very Robinson singing.  Tall, good engine and can cover a few positions.  Will see how he gets on. 

All in all, I think we're alright this year.  Can't see us being in any bother at the bottom end, and we may have half a chance of the Top 6 if Hearts & Hibs continue to look piss poor.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

I have no idea why we've decided Ilic is a right winger despite everything pointing to him being a left back.

For a laugh, I think we should give Grimmy a run out at left wing.

As long as he only has to run in straight lines I'm sure he'll be just fine. 

In terms of the window as a whole I suppose you have to frame it with the massive sliding doors moment of Celtic shitting themselves over Turnbull's knee.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb in saying that our squad would probably have looked very different had we banked £3m at the start of the summer. A deal that everyone thought was happening falling through (interviews and photos done at Parkhead lest we forget) presumably meant we had to pivot to a new plan pretty quickly.

As it is we've retained Turnbull for the time-being, improved Allan Campbell's contract, promoted Scott and Maguire to the first team (with Semple on the fringes) and presumably made a bit of coin from Hastie, McKinstry and McAlear. We've moved on two players who were unlikely to get any meaningful game time (Livingstone & Tanner) and looking at those two line ups I posted last night we seem to have a reasonably balanced squad that would, on paper at least, suit at least 2 formations fairly comfortably.

From the way Robinson was talking about extending contracts it seems we've budget left over as well, which is a nice change from the usual noises we've heard about how we've maxed out.

Ngl another (established) forward would have been nice and a bit more reassuring but if there wasn't anyone available (or the deals just fell through) that would have improved the starting XI then there's been plenty of criticism in previous seasons for just loading the squad with filler. Similarly I wasn't hugely sold on the Hendry link so having Peter fucking Hartley sticking around is absolutely fine in my book.

The O'Hara signing is...fine. We've been after him loads of times before, he knows the league, we don't really have a 6ft CM who'll just go full Maniac Cop and storm about the midfield box to box so #WelcomeMark.

All things considered anywhere between 5th and 8th is an easy take for me tbqh.

Edited by capt_oats

8 hours ago, actonsheep said:

Its not the worst citation at all. FM/Sports Interactive data is very highly respected within the game, to the point that at least one top club pay SI an license so they can use it as part of their scouting process.

2 hours ago, Desp said:

Is this not Everton?  I'm sure I read a while back they did something like that with the guys from FM.

buy the game for £30, the editor has all their stats and potential stats. fortune saved.

8 hours ago, actonsheep said:

Its not the worst citation at all. FM/Sports Interactive data is very highly respected within the game, to the point that at least one top club pay SI an license so they can use it as part of their scouting process.

yeah it's fair enough that he was a left back, we just don't keen on making reference to that.

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

yeah it's fair enough that he was a left back, we just don't keen on making reference to that.

They're doubling down on it. They've just moved him from "Midfielder" to "Forward" on the First Team page of the official site.

Honestly, fair play on their commitment to the bit.

The fact that Liam Grimshaw is still listed as a midfielder despite having played almost exclusively as a full back or wing back since he arrived back at the club deserves credit.

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

Good news that we still have nine days to enjoy the fact our last game was a 3-0 win, not so good the next one will cost £29 for anyone wanting to attend.

Adult £29
Over 65s £21
Under 18s £15
Under 16s £8
Under 13s and students £5

Fiver a student though, HWFG!