Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I would like another striker but actually would like current players to get a chance based on last couple of performances. 

I see on Killie thread someone saying Mark OHara coming to us. Was hoping he joined back when he left Dundee, but who would he replace. Polworth and Campbell deserve their place and Turnbull still to come back even if only till Xmas. 

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

I would like another striker but actually would like current players to get a chance based on last couple of performances. 

I see on Killie thread someone saying Mark OHara coming to us. Was hoping he joined back when he left Dundee, but who would he replace. Polworth and Campbell deserve their place and Turnbull still to come back even if only till Xmas. 

I could be miles out but did O'Hara not start out at Killie as a centre half and was "converted" to a midfielder?

If the chat about us having been interested in Hendry or at the very least we're after a centre half then a "versatile" body who could cover midfield and defence would kind of make sense. It'd step on Barry Maguire's toes a bit but O'Hara's an absolute textbook type "win the battle" Robinson signing tbf.

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I could be miles out but did O'Hara not start out at Killie as a centre half and was "converted" to a midfielder?

If the chat about us having been interested in Hendry or at the very least we're after a centre half then a "versatile" body who could cover midfield and defence would kind of make sense. It'd step on Barry Maguire's toes a bit but O'Hara's an absolute textbook type "win the battle" Robinson signing tbf.

Plus you need to factor in potential injuries - then a versatile type who could play midfield and centre defence would not be a bad thing. 

One wonders however whether if he moves he would be looking for a guaranteed starting spot. Perhaps Killie could offer that whereas we may not be able to. 

Be interesting to see how Mazinga fares for reserves today. 

4 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Plus you need to factor in potential injuries - then a versatile type who could play midfield and centre defence would not be a bad thing. 

One wonders however whether if he moves he would be looking for a guaranteed starting spot. Perhaps Killie could offer that whereas we may not be able to. 

Be interesting to see how Mazinga fares for reserves today. 

I think Peterborough are looking to get shot of him (he wasn't in their squad at the weekend) so it may come down to whether a club is willing to take him on a permanent or not.

Cards on the table though, when thinking of players we might see through the door today Mark O'Hara was absolutely miles from the top of the list.

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Cards on the table though, when thinking of players we might see through the door today Mark O'Hara was absolutely miles from the top of the list.

Very much this. 

Would kind of fly in the face of Robinson’s final piece of the jigsaw, quality only shtick he was coming out with.  

No harm to O’Hara himself like who’s always seemed a decent enough player, certainly scored a fair few goals at Fir Park in his time at Dundee, however it just seems a fairly unnecessary signing. 

Edited by Casagolda

O'Hara is the perfect man for Robinson's style of heavy hitting players. (Although I note second half of last season you focussed less on that side of things?) Terrible first touch, terrible positionally and has an awful lot of games that pass him by, but he absolutely has the ability to be a complete powerhouse of a midfielder. He reminded me a lot of Gavin Rae when he was on form. Strong, willing to put his body on the line, makes deep runs and non-stop. I realise that contradicts with the first part of my post - hence how he was such a frustrating player.

8 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Would kind of fly in the face of Robinson’s final piece of the jigsaw, quality only shtick he was coming out with.  

It'd depend on who else comes in tbh. If O'Hara's the only body in then it's just fucking weird, if it turns out that it's an "opportunity" thing that we hadn't anticipated coming up in addition to someone else then fair fucks.

The fact that we were apparently in for him when he was at Dundee suggests at the very least Robinson's a fan.

Edited by capt_oats

Do we need another midfielder? I thought O'Hara was a CM from memory.  I would have thought we were pretty well covered there with Sloth and Maguire to come through.

A #9 is still what I'm after. I think Cole could be decent, I'm encouraged by his presence upfront but it would be nice to get someone with a decent goal tally in.

In saying that Mazinga is still to come in so we do have a fair amount of options. I think for me it seems like pretty much all of our strikers/wingers are unproven this year. We seem to have loads of untested guys but hey they could all turn out to be excellent.

18 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It'd depend on who else comes in tbh. If O'Hara's the only body in then it's just fucking weird, if it turns out that it's an "opportunity" thing that we hadn't anticipated coming up in addition to someone else then fair fucks.

The fact that we were apparently in for him when he was at Dundee suggests at the very least Robinson's a fan.

To be fair, I was just basing it on Robinson’s potentially one more chat during his press conference on Friday. 

Another central midfielder to add to Campbell, Donnelly, Polworth, Sloth, Maguire, Semple and even Grimshaw in a pinch wasn’t exactly what I had in mind. 

EDIT - Forgot about Turnbull as well. 

Edited by Casagolda

29 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

To be fair, I was just basing it on Robinson’s potentially one more chat during his press conference on Friday. 

Another central midfielder to add to Campbell, Donnelly, Polworth, Sloth, Maguire, Semple and even Grimshaw in a pinch wasn’t exactly what I had in mind. 

EDIT - Forgot about Turnbull as well. 

Aye. I mean I'm just going by the timeline it seems to have followed. This morning it looked like he was going back to Killie, they seem to have sorted something out for Dorrans (who's hardly like for like but whatevs) so it's left us with an opportunity for a player we've been interested in previously.

The one thing I would say is that O'Hara is "something different" to what we have in the centre of the park. We've got players who are "good on the ball" but dare I say it few of those in the group we have at the moment are really the sort of "big, physical Motherwell"-types that you might want to chuck in as an alternative to someone like Polworth against a Hearts, Aberdeen, Celtic or Rangers.

Fwiw: here are his "played positions" lifted from his Transfermarkt page:

1265832833_ScreenShot2019-09-02at15_34_30.png.786253bc29af49ea073a88bda0a84a1f.png

I mean, we're 100% on the same page it's not an area I thought we'd be looking at but it's probably not without its merits.

Livingstone to Morton confirmed. Season loan with break option in January.

Adam Livingstone has joined Greenock Morton on loan for the remainder of the 2019/20 season.

The 21-year-old left-back, who has made five appearances for Motherwell, heads to the Championship side in pursuit of regular first-team football.

The club has the option to recall Adam from his loan in January.

“Adam is a boy who I believe has very good attributes,” manager Stephen Robinson said of the move.

“But he needs first team football and Morton will provide that at a good level.

“We have had a lot of success in loaning out our younger players, such as Barry Maguire and Jake Hastie, who have benefitted.

“We are hopeful Adam will gain valuable experience in a first team environment. It will help him develop further and offer something reserve football can’t.”

Edit to add: it completely passed me by that there was no Tanner in the Reserves squad earlier either.

Edited by capt_oats

Right, you'll need to bear with me with this one. News reaches me that Motherwell are closing in on making their first appearance in tonight's deadline day live with the announcement of a new signing.

The player has been at Fir Park and it's understood something may be coming out of the Lanarkshire club soon.

From the BBC. 

#announceohara