Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 hours ago, Big John Handsome said:

I'm considering going hospitality for the Ross County game as it's my birthday a couple of days after, but still not decided as it's Ladies Day that game.

Should be a laugh, and I could win the £100 prize for best dressed (my gf has some cracking dresses, but I'm sure I'd pull them off better than her).

Just assuming you're actually John Sutton for the purpose of this, and I agree.

Noticed as a footnote to the 'Hastie to Rotherham' story that we had apparently expressed an interest in taking him back on loan (along with, erm...Zurich). It wouldn't be a massive surprise if we'd asked given Hylton and Seedorf have found it a step up and Hastie at the very least knows the club and the position but not for me...and tbqh I can't say it'd be a shock if it wasn't for him either given the way he left.

Patching us to sign for Rangers on a promise of first team football from Gerrard only to end up back at Fir Park 4 games into the league season (albeit on a bigger wage) having made 2 appearances totalling 69 minutes would be quite the comedown.

I'm sure he'll have a lovely time in Rotherham.

Interesting line from Long in the wee interview that went out yesterday: "Obviously I'm a 9 but I'm not a hold up striker, I never will be. Obviously I can hold the ball up but that's not my strength. My strength is running in behind, scoring goals and that's what I like to do. As long as I'm scoring goals, running in behind and getting the ball in the right places that's what I'm liking."

I mean...aye, fair enough.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Noticed as a footnote to the 'Hastie to Rotherham' story that we had apparently expressed an interest in taking him back on loan (along with, erm...Zurich). It wouldn't be a massive surprise if we'd asked given Hylton and Seedorf have found it a step up and Hastie at the very least knows the club and the position but not for me...and tbqh I can't say it'd be a shock if it wasn't for him either given the way he left.

Patching us to sign for Rangers on a promise of first team football from Gerrard only to end up back at Fir Park 4 games into the league season (albeit on a bigger wage) having made 2 appearances totalling 69 minutes would be quite the comedown.

I'm sure he'll have a lovely time in Rotherham.

Interesting line from Long in the wee interview that went out yesterday: "Obviously I'm a 9 but I'm not a hold up striker, I never will be. Obviously I can hold the ball up but that's not my strength. My strength is running in behind, scoring goals and that's what I like to do. As long as I'm scoring goals, running in behind and getting the ball in the right places that's what I'm liking."

I mean...aye, fair enough.

I reckon Hastie coming back would go down like a fart in a lift tbh. 

Also would be happy if we had a big hammer thrower alongside Long up top. 

There's yer Robbo.

Contracts offered to Gillespie AND Carson along with others and yes, he's still looking at bringing folk in.

"[We are] always looking. Always looking. I think I've said all along that it has to be someone that is either going to be in the starting XI or is going to really push people that are in the starting XI. We've got our eyes on people. We had a deal fall through last week that we thought was over the line but I'm not going to bring people in just to make up numbers. I think that's important. I'd rather use the money to secure people that are here, put contract offers as we've already discussed to other people but potentially, potentially we could have one in on Monday."

So...Carson, Gillespie plus Tait and Dunne for the new contract offers?

Edited by capt_oats

9 hours ago, capt_oats said:

There's yer Robbo.

Contracts offered to Gillespie AND Carson along with others and yes, he's still looking at bringing folk in.

So...Carson, Gillespie plus Tait and Dunne for the new contract offers?

Smart money is on Grimshaw 😉

If true, as @Desp said, you really wonder why we even bothered giving him a new deal. He’s not even providing cover, he’s effectively now fourth choice left back behind a right back and a centre back. He’s 21 and he’s never even started a game for us, let the lad go and play football. 

I also see Jack Hendry is seemingly going to Killie as part of the Taylor deal so we can probably put that one to bed. Plus, with Hartley’s renaissance in recent weeks, you’d argue we don’t really need to add to the defence. With Tait and Dunne on the bench, you’ve got pretty decent cover across the back four. 

Sounds like Robinson’s got something/someone in mind for tomorrow, however it also wouldn’t surprise me if we signed nobody. The bench looked pretty strong yesterday and we’ve still got a few guys to come back. 

Despite the initial absolute panic post Hearts cup exit, when you sit down and look at it now, it’s actually been a pretty decent start to the season. Especially when you consider we lost Aldred, Gorrin, Hastie, Ariyibi and even Turnbull(for the time being at least) this summer and are trying to bed in half a new team. 

Plus, you get the impression there’s still a lot more to come from certain individuals and subsequently, this team as whole. Very much in the not getting carried away but cautiously optimistic camp for this season.