Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

42 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Of course he's signed for Sarpsborg 08, what idiot didn't see that coming 

Robinson mentioned in one of the interviews that a deal for a striker had fallen through - given the timing, I wonder if it really was Lafferty...

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Of course he's signed for Sarpsborg 08, what idiot didn't see that coming 

38 minutes ago, Swello said:

Robinson mentioned in one of the interviews that a deal for a striker had fallen through - given the timing, I wonder if it really was Lafferty...

giphy.gif

Clearly his well stated desire to stay in Scotland......at least Norway is as cold in the winter. 

2 wins from 19 and bottom of the league. 

Would have nothing to do with the money on offer now would it. Not having a dig or maybe I am. But if you had not invested your career earnings wisely....ahem then you would most likely move to the highest bidder. 

That said no confirmation that we were ever in for him unless I missed something. People putting 2 and 2 together etc. 

I wonder if Long is going to be Louis Moult MK2. He is looking more capable than big Curtis so far at least...

Edited by welldaft

43 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I wonder if Long is going to be Louis Moult MK2. He is looking more capable than big Curtis so far at least...

Reminds me of Porter.  He looked questionable too until he scored a goal with his arse against Gretna (?).  

Edited by Antiochas III

9 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Reminds me of Porter.  He looked questionable too until he scored a goal with his arse against Gretna (?).  

Agreed.  First few games he looked suspect, but after that goal against Gretna he was off and running.  Chris Porter was a brilliant striker for Motherwell.  His second goal at Tynecastle, in our first game after Phil O'Donnell's death, is one of my favourite Motherwell goals of all time. 

6 minutes ago, Desp said:

Agreed.  First few games he looked suspect, but after that goal against Gretna he was off and running.  Chris Porter was a brilliant striker for Motherwell.  His second goal at Tynecastle, in our first game after Phil O'Donnell's death, is one of my favourite Motherwell goals of all time. 

Agreed. Porter is right up there with my favourite Motherwell strikers of all time, his performance as he horsed Dundee United at Tannadice is one of the best I've ever seen. He only got the one goal, but Wilkie and Kenneth had no idea what to do with him.

18 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Agreed. Porter is right up there with my favourite Motherwell strikers of all time, his performance as he horsed Dundee United at Tannadice is one of the best I've ever seen. He only got the one goal, but Wilkie and Kenneth had no idea what to do with him.

That front 3 of McCormack, Porter and Clarkson was absolutely outrageous at times. 

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

That front 3 of McCormack, Porter and Clarkson was absolutely outrageous at times. 

That was a brilliant side.  Even though his departure and second stint ruined it for him, McGhee absolutely transformed that side - you only had to look a Paterson and McGarry!  The first game of the season at Love Street, you got the feeling something special was kicking off.  The amount of times we had teams put to bed in the first half hour was amazing.  I remember beating Aberdeen 3-0 at Fir Park and if Motherwell had bothered their arse in the second half, it could have been seven or eight.  Even the day Phil passed, we absolutely destroyed Dundee Utd. 

Tanner with 2 assists inside 15 minutes against Morton reserves.

I appreciate Robinson said he’s still miles away from a first team return but if he is able to get back to even close to the player he was before his injury it would be a huge boost for us.

2 minutes ago, dezz said:

Tanner with 2 assists inside 15 minutes against Morton reserves.

I appreciate Robinson said he’s still miles away from a first team return but if he is able to get back to even close to the player he was before his injury it would be a huge boost for us.

His biggest problem might be living up to the player that people remember him to be rather than the one he was.

I thought he was a decent player in a team that didn't have many pure footballers in it - but was a long way from being a world beater. That said, he would fit into our style of play now and I'd love to see him come back from that type of injury - you'd think it would be a great morale boost for everyone...

Every game he comes through will do his mindset the world of good, in fact getting through that first game a few weeks ago will have been massive for him mentally. It's about getting that first tackle in, winning that first 50/50 etc, those are the things he has to get out the way, which I assume he would have considering he has played 2.5/3 games now. it's now just building on that and getting more and more minutes behind him. Come that first Scottish cup game in January, we will no doubt line up winger-less with Tanner and Turnbull behind the strikers and between them they will put 9 past Dundee.

I agree he was one of very few footballers in that team which made him stand out a bit more than perhaps his natural ability deserved. That being said, I’m pretty sure he would have finished that season as our top scorer and assist provider if it hadn’t been for his injury.

I’m sure he was on about 9 goals and 7 assists by Feb/March time. Happy to be corrected as those stats are off the top of my head and not checked.

I agree that he would fit well into the current team and set up though and would provide a nice bit of balance to the attacking areas considering the rawness/unpredictability of Seedorf, Hylton and Ilic.

5 minutes ago, dezz said:

I agree he was one of very few footballers in that team which made him stand out a bit more than perhaps his natural ability deserved. That being said, I’m pretty sure he would have finished that season as our top scorer and assist provider if it hadn’t been for his injury.

I’m sure he was on about 9 goals and 7 assists by Feb/March time. Happy to be corrected as those stats are off the top of my head and not checked.

I agree that he would fit well into the current team and set up though and would provide a nice bit of balance to the attacking areas considering the rawness/unpredictability of Seedorf, Hylton and Ilic.

Due to the quirk of Moult having fucked off to Preston and the awards being held at the start of April he actually won the top scorer award (Bowman got his 9th and 10th against Dundee and Thistle after the awards).

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2018/04/08/player-of-the-year-winners/

847096528_ScreenShot2019-08-27at15_09_49.png.e2648324049a613cfebbfd59daca471a.png

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I did like Tanner but I think he is being massively over-rated due to his absence.

Dom Thomas* syndrome.

Also, since we're not going to be playing Dundee this season, what effect will Tanner really have in our team? 

*would also accept Luke Watt.