Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

25 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think my evolving position is that Robinson has unequivocally got it wrong... but it isn't really his fault? Or at least, he's been unlucky rather than incompetent. I don't think there's any of our signings you can say looked worse than average on paper and I can see a pretty obvious justification for all of them;

• Hastie,Watt, Long, O'Hara and Cole have all done us a turn in the very recent past.

• Lamie, White, Fox ,O'Donnell and Crawford had all looked fairly dependable for clubs lower down the domestic food chain than us.

• McGinley and Lang were coming from a decent level and have been more or less fine.

It just feels like we take a lot of gambles every window through necessity, and this time a lot more have blown up in our faces than last year. Couple that with Carlson and Donnelly's injuries as well as Carroll's complications as well as a heap of bad luck in individual games and I have a lot of sympathy for Robinson.

Agree with this.

I think a lot of it comes back to what @crazylegsjoe_mfc's post speaks to re: lack of Reserves football. Robinson even mentioned it himself in a development sense but ultimately the only competitive football we have at the moment is the first team stuff.

If you've got a player out of form or short of fitness (both in some cases) or coming back from a long term injury then where in a normal season they could get minutes to sort themselves out in the Reserves - we don't have that option (and I appreciate it's true for every club). Jake Carroll's coming back from close to a year out and the only football he'll have played will have been at best, a bounce game or two yet we'll have the brains trust element of our support raging that he's not Roberto Carlos or whatever.

I've said it before but I've found it hard to get my head around fans who are looking at this like a normal season in terms of their expectations. Sure you've got the usual suspects over on SO who are in a perma-rage about everything but broadly speaking it's been interesting to see the comments on our socials recently and a notion that footballers should just have come straight back into this season and "do football", like it's some sort of automated thing.

You've had players not kick a ball for almost 6 months, no real pre-season to speak of, a raft of injuries and adaptions to what training actually looks like. Even in the case of players like Campbell and Maguire recently - both had to isolate for a fortnight then come back into the first team - that's surely going to throw you.

Similarly we're in a position where teams around us were playing their Betfred Group games through the international breaks which I suppose allowed them to rotate their squads a bit in a way we haven't been able to and give them regular games through a period where we've been stop/starting.

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

Just seen that to, replies thinking he’s class lol.

English football’s always been a dumping ground for those that can’t make it north of the border emoji41.png

There's another tweet suggesting Stoke are also interested. I'd guess this is entirely someone who's just churning out content.

I mean, I'll be honest I wouldn't be surprised but him ending up at a Championship club would surely knock Fisher to Yeovil and Bowman to Exeter out the park in terms of surplus to requirement players getting a move in January.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

How much was it we paid for Sherwin? There was definitely some sort of fee.

"Undisclosed fee" according to Wolves.

"Sherwin Seedorf has completed a permanent transfer to SPFL side Motherwell for an undisclosed fee.

The wide man joined Wolves in February 2017 from Nike Academy and featured for the club in Premier League 2 Division 2.

During the 2018/19 campaign, Seedorf spent time on loan at Bradford City and FC Jumilla, making 19 appearances across the two moves.

He now departs for Motherwell, who finished eighth in the Scottish top flight last term, and Wolves wish him the best of luck for the future."

Link

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Picture the scene. August 2021, vaccines have been rolled out, Scotland is officially declared Covid free. As a thank you to the local community after 18 months of hell the club have made the first game of the season free for everybody, going into schools etc with massive uptake. 5000 folk meet outside the Electric Bar and walk to game en masse, a festival of colour and noise on a beautiful late summer's day.

Motherwell 0 St Johnstone 1 (Kane, 23) 

That made me laugh....Thanks YM 👍

I agree with the 1st Para however. Would be good to make it a huge event and try and fill Fir Park. Lets wait until it is someone beatable..might be a long time ! 

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

The Stoke and Reading "interest" of Seedorf is on the BBC Sport Gossip Column today and not just the Scottish version, the English one too.

Surely Michael O'Neill must have realised how ineffectual Seedorf was when looking at Donnelly and Carson. 

Aye, I'd still be inclined to err on @Swello's suggestion that it's an agent on manoevres but at the same time we signed him from Wolves so there's a chance he's known to clubs in that neck of the woods who may be in the market for a rapid but inconsistent winger. It still seems a wildly unlikely move although - Beneghan to Sheffield United? Stranger things have happened.

The more interesting element is that if his name is being chucked out there like that then you'd think there's a decent chance that he might be one of those moving on in the near future - regardless of whether it's a Championship club or not.

Edited by capt_oats

20 hours ago, capt_oats said:

In other news...whit?

That football insiders shit just seems to be agents creating stories. Same place had Scott Tanser being linked with Rangers and Celtic the same week our manager confirmed we were speaking to some players about contract extensions.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

That football insiders shit just seems to be agents creating stories. Same place had Scott Tanser being linked with Rangers and Celtic the same week our manager confirmed we were speaking to some players about contract extensions.

Aye, I think that's the page most are on with this.

Robinson's said publicly that "our wingers aren't playing well" for about the 3rd time this season it's hardly vote of confidence stuff for the bold Sherwin.

Like I say, it's interesting if his agent is out flying kites as he's one of the many who are out of contract at the end of the season and one who it's difficult to see us offering new terms to given he dropped off the radar halfway through last season and hasn't really been involved much more lately.

Edited by capt_oats

Echoing others, I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if there was anything in this Seedorf chat.
I would say he's got a bit of the Chris Humphrey about him in that he's so rapid that if a coach was able to coax any kind of football ability out of him he'd be an absolute weapon at our level and probably up to the lower half Championship of the kind of clubs that are being mentioned.
I don't see it, having made my mind up about him at Dundee away in the cup last season when he came on as a second half sub and was so comically bad that I would have advocated subbing him off again and never seeing him in a match day squad again. He hasn't been quite as bad this season but we've seen so little of him recently, despite our wide players publicly being called out as not playing well, that we can only assume he's still shite.
Realistically, I'd take shifting him off the wage bill at this point and either having a punt on another player or giving the money to Allan Campbell, probably leaning towards the latter.

Edited by Mr Hahn

If I'd had to guess Seedorf's future career path and was being generous I'd maybe say I could see him dropping down a league or two and eventually working his way up to the top flight or an equivalent level in another country and having a decent career.

I definitely didn't have him down as getting himself a big move off the back of his stint here :lol:

On 15/12/2020 at 16:29, capt_oats said:

There's another tweet suggesting Stoke are also interested. I'd guess this is entirely someone who's just churning out content.

I mean, I'll be honest I wouldn't be surprised but him ending up at a Championship club would surely knock Fisher to Yeovil and Bowman to Exeter out the park in terms of surplus to requirement players getting a move in January.

Wheesht everyone.

seedorf is brilliant and you can see he’s a close relative of his famous namesake. £500k up front and you can secure him in January. 

no refunds. 

Wheesht everyone.

seedorf is brilliant and you can see he’s a close relative of his famous namesake. £500k up front and you can secure him in January. 

no refunds. 

Just get a constant loop of his goal at hearts trending on Twitter. Class act for 5 minutes of his Motherwell career!