Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, Well Well said:

If he couldn't get the players motivated and hungry in the last year as the assistant manager and first team coach what makes you think he has what it takes to change things??. I am not having a go but genuinely concerned that the players will not give a shit or change their attitudes with the same staff

Lasley knows the club inside out. Knows how to play the "Motherwell way".

Lasley as manager, McFadden as assistant, pls.

4 minutes ago, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

Wright is, in all seriousness, the sort of manager we should be going for.

Agree with this - if every managerial appointment is a gamble, this would would be the safest bet we could have. Probably wouldn't be very exciting but we haven't had any excitement this year anyway, so that isn't a problem.

On paper, this just seemed like Robinson's Motherwell's standard awful spell before finishing nowhere near relegation. What's different this time?

I've not seen Motherwell play since either the derby in August or the Hibs game on Sky (whichever came first).

50 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Fair enough like. 

That's always really been the case, though. The years we've finished 2nd and 3rd have obviously been in a big part, us being quite good, but also us taking advantage of other teams being bad. 2012-13 for example, we finished second, 7 points clear of St. Johnstone and 8 of Inverness. United 6th, Hibs 7th, Aberdeen 8th, Hearts 10th and Rangers 33rd.

Had last season gone the distance, I feel that Aberdeen and possibly Livi would've overhauled us.

Well it's all redundant now anyway 🤣

No one currently connected with the club should bother applying. If they couldn't motivate the players in their current position they never will as manager. We need a new broom someone who will tear a new hole in some of these players attitude and desire to win or move them on sharpish.

13 minutes ago, Swello said:

Fred West would be a more popular appointment with Motherwell supporters. If we even let his application form into the building without setting it on fire, Ah'd No Be Back (always wanted to say that).

Tbf he knows the area, we could do worse

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

3 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

On paper, this just seemed like Robinson's Motherwell's standard awful spell before finishing nowhere near relegation. What's different this time?

I've not seen Motherwell play since either the derby in August or the Hibs game on Sky (whichever came first).

Remember the Accies game where we huffed and puffed for 90 minutes, not scoring, before giving away a daft goal at the other end and losing the game? 

Well, that's happened a lot this season. 

Surprised at the level of 'Robinson out'. Sure it's been a bad year, but there's plenty credit in the bank no ? I couldn't see Motherwell going down under Robinson, but now you're throwing another unknown in there.

Has he genuinely jumped, or is there a bit of mutal here ?

Wright the obvious replacement, Levein the banter one.

16 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'm not convinced this was needed and I liked him as a manager - but our record in 2020 is undeniably poor, so it is maybe understandable. I guess we won't find out if this was an actual resignation or if it was a "resignation" but I didn't think we were quite at the pitchforks and flaming torches on Fir Park St yet...

This is where I’m at too tbh. 

We matched Aberdeen for the most part and should have been out of sight against Utd on Saturday- two of the ‘better’ teams in the league. Even last night we looked half decent right up until Killie scored.

We look badly lacking in confidence but we were still competitive and didn’t look a million miles away. Scraping a win from somewhere plus a shrewd signing or two in January would have made all the difference imho. It’s certainly a far cry from where we were when he took over from McGhee- who lost his last 4 games by an aggregate score of 17-2.

However, last night he had a look of a beaten man about him. All managers have a shelf life, maybe he’s been down this road once too often and doesn’t have the fight left in him to turn it round again. If that’s the case, fair play to him for stepping aside. 

As has already been said, he’s done a fantastic job overall and although it might have been time, I’m still saddened to see him go.