Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Alexander really thinks Dundee are a Mickey Mouse team with that lineup, respect. 

edit: maybe that’s a bit harsh could be rotating the squad due to injuries and what have you. Think the team put out can do the job however. 

Edited by Ill Ray

The only player who actually performed was Liam Kelly.

Defending? Dog shite. Couldn't even mark a player, clear the ball or pass it to someone not in blue.

Midfield? What midfield?

Upfront? Might as well have kicked the ball out of play. Balls to far, running into players, not choosing the right pass repeatedly.

And this is against a Dundee side who were thrashed 6-0 last week. My god this seasons in for a bumpy ride.

Sounds like we missed SOD today ....

Scraped through the group, a number of players out of form or just not capable, three signings of any pedigree when we need 6.

GA has a few weeks to remedy this otherwise January can’t come quick enough.

When you fail to win the midfield for pretty much 18 months, against 3 lower league sides in July, its time to not ponder what’s up and what needs addressed.

The way we've approached this competition this season is, frankly, a joke.

Half arsed the group stages. Half arsed the competition proper. Somehow having watched semi finals with Hibernian, St. Mirren, St. Johnstone and Livingston last year, other clubs competing potentially in group stages in Europe during the exhausting first half of the season we appear completely disinterested in being able to take advantage of having f**k all else to play for by sticking out a team featuring guys who haven't featured for a year, guys just back from injury, and guys who just won't do. 

Fine I get that we're recruiting for the season, not the first month, but when you f**k away a chance to win a trophy in that period, why are we bothering turning up for the rest.

9 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

The way we've approached this competition this season is, frankly, a joke.

Half arsed the group stages. Half arsed the competition proper. Somehow having watched semi finals with Hibernian, St. Mirren, St. Johnstone and Livingston last year, other clubs competing potentially in group stages in Europe during the exhausting first half of the season we appear completely disinterested in being able to take advantage of having f**k all else to play for by sticking out a team featuring guys who haven't featured for a year, guys just back from injury, and guys who just won't do. 

Fine I get that we're recruiting for the season, not the first month, but when you f**k away a chance to win a trophy in that period, why are we bothering turning up for the rest.

I don't want to sound like I've lost my head but this is bang on, really. A cup run is something that can save even a shite season but Alexander's not giving a f**k it seems.

Fair enough it starts competitive football very early in the summer which can be a challenge but we didn't look arsed at all in the group stages and it sounds like we didn't look arsed again today. 

Anyway. Looking forward to whatever inspirational quote we've opted for against a voiceover of the bold Grezza telling us it's all a work in progress.

I was happy with 1st two league games. A narrow defeat against a very decent Hibs side and a promising performance. Followed up with a decent draw away to a settled and capable St Johnstone side.

I am actually angry to read that it was such an insipid performance. A wee cup run would have been a good confidence builder. The chance to bring some revenue in to the club. I get it is the League cup and not Champions League but an opportunity missed. Losing to Dundee is no major shock as such but the manner 🤬.

A free header from a corner. Every single week almost we lose a goal from a set piece. 

Missing good chances. Every team does that but it is a theme. 

We still need at least 3 decent additions in midfield and up front. Maguire, Crawford and at the moment Donnelly should not be starting. Hopefully OHara back. No saviour but better than the aforementioned. 

We need to get at least 4 points from next two League games away to Livi and home to Dundee. 

34 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I don't want to sound like I've lost my head but this is bang on, really. A cup run is something that can save even a shite season but Alexander's not giving a f**k it seems.

Fair enough it starts competitive football very early in the summer which can be a challenge but we didn't look arsed at all in the group stages and it sounds like we didn't look arsed again today. 

Anyway. Looking forward to whatever inspirational quote we've opted for against a voiceover of the bold Grezza telling us it's all a work in progress.

I mean, we are a work in progress but that's the thing when we stuck out arguably our best XI we got, for the most part, a decent to good performance against Hibs to the point we were 2-1 up at HT.

You can get away with half arsing your way through the group stages given the nature of it but f**k me...when it comes to the actual real stuff apparently deciding to use a tie to "get minutes in the legs" doesn't half stick in the craw.

And that's where @thisGRAEME's post is especially spot on.

Edited by capt_oats

We did "successfully" defend the other 90 corners/crosses, so they were going to get one at some point. Should look good in the stats. Our xG must have took a kicking though.

If this is going to be a Gannon situation of sticking to a style of play regardless until it becomes unsustainable, I hope there's a Jennings and Humphrey in there. 

It is still early and stuff, and Alexander did a good job keeping us up and some, so I'm not quite at the drinking straight out of a jack Daniel's bottle at 9am stage, but I might have a decision to make when my current stash of death wish coffee runs out. 

Yeah, you lot were a gang today and by the sounds of things, so was a section of your support!

Not get as many one sided 1-0 wins as today. Motherwell had 2 chances and should have done better with both. Shields smashed it off the bar after Ashcroft got caught dallying and Watt placed a free header tamely towards Legzdins.

Didn't look that up for it, didn't look to have any attacking threat, defensively you just allowed us to put about 4000 balls into the box and the subs didn't have an impact on the game. 

Not what I've come to expect from games against Motherwell at all really.