Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

27 minutes ago, Gallus Numpty said:

No problem at all with him leaving if he wasn't happy here. But I'm always a bit bemused by folk who say they don't feel settled somewhere, then their next move is to that notoriously-easy place to settle, "the arse end of beyond where you can't speak the language".

Valid point. I have been living in Scotland for over 50 years and I don’t feel settled. I don’t like grey clouds and constant 20-30 mph winds in summer 😫. At least it is sunny in Turkey, but does make you wonder if the unsettled thing is in relation to him being under-utilised in many eyes mine included. 

That announcement video is a hoot. And I thought our media team were creative…..

Usual overreaction on the official Twitter.  One wonders if Morris is the replacement for Woolery as this has obviously been on the go for a wee while. Or do we bring Gboly back. Please.

If KVV leaves next then I will be outside Fir Park with Pitch fork and Torches..

To be fair, "unsettled" is a fairly broad euphemism.

As others have said getting bounced for Joe Efford probably fed into that. Equally, along with the others on 3 year deals, he was probably recruited on a promise that we'd give him a platform with a view to allowing him to "progress" his career so hitting the summer and allowing him to consider his options is pretty much a quid pro quo.

As far as the "undisclosed" fee goes, not every fee we get is going to be showing up as a record profit on the P&L but a gentle reminder that Beneghan's fee was simply "undisclosed" with no real fanfare but turned out to be relatively good value for us.

It's not in our interests to be prohibitive with valuations of our assets but similarly we've been consistent in at least getting value over the past 7 years of so. Reading between the lines it seems like an amicable arrangement and all parties got what they wanted.

Well done everyone. Nice job.

As others have said, if he wanted to go and a decent fee was on the table then it wouldn’t be very wise of the club to turn it down.

Considering GA has known he wanted away since the end of the season, I’d hope that means we’ve been actively seeking out a replacement, or are we pinning our hopes on a 30 year old for the entire season?

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

To be fair, "unsettled" is a fairly broad euphemism.

I've thought for a while that there are a good portion of the jobbers that come to Scotland from England who think they're going to stroll it, be the best player in their team and be at Rangers or Celtic by Christmas.

Not necessarily levelling that  at Woolery at all, but you've seen it from guys at the upper end like Barton et. al, and as I say, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to find out there are plenty of others at our level who think that way.

4 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

As others have said, if he wanted to go and a decent fee was on the table then it wouldn’t be very wise of the club to turn it down.

Considering GA has known he wanted away since the end of the season, I’d hope that means we’ve been actively seeking out a replacement, or are we pinning our hopes on a 30 year old for the entire season?

It was mentioned the other day, Scott Burns ran a piece in the Express with Alexander basically saying we're light in the forward area and that's where he's looking:

“We are looking for one or two more in certain parts of the pitch. We are working hard to get the right ones and sometimes we are not at the front of the queue either. We are looking at the forward areas because a few players in that area left in the summer. We got a good amount of goals last year and we feel we have good strength in the back and midfield areas.

“We are just a touch light in the forward areas and that is where we are hoping to bring in. It will only be if the right player becomes available. There are a lot of players out there but we have to get the right type who will compliment what we have here already."

Link

As long as we keep KVV there’s no panic. I’m really looking forward to seeing how Tierney settles into the squad this season. Paul McGinn Should do a job for us as well. Blair Spittal… eh, not convinced.

I’d hope we’d sign at least 2 more attackers (one winger and someone to compete with KVV) and definitely someone in the middle of the defence. Relying on Sol and Ojala at the back is the only thing that gives me major doubts about the season.

23 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

As long as we keep KVV there’s no panic. I’m really looking forward to seeing how Tierney settles into the squad this season. Paul McGinn Should do a job for us as well. Blair Spittal… eh, not convinced.

I’d hope we’d sign at least 2 more attackers (one winger and someone to compete with KVV) and definitely someone in the middle of the defence. Relying on Sol and Ojala at the back is the only thing that gives me major doubts about the season.

I'd be surprised if we went for another winger purely because we've Shields and Efford who can play as inside forwards and have Morris, Spittal and Mahon who are wide players.

Arguably the positive with Woolery leaving is that he was the one forward who was beginning to look like an odd fit. He was also (presumably) signed to be a starter as well so his move probably carves out a bit of budget. It feels like with him moving on it provides an opportunity and a bit of flexibility in terms of how we address the balance our forward line.

The timing feels opportune as well given that's the English teams getting back and sorting out their squads as well. I know it was our plan but the fact we've bided our time in that respect is probably helpful.

Edited by capt_oats

I spent the whole of last season saying Woolery was shite and that he had absolutely no end product, so I’m not arsed he’s away. 90 good minutes against Rangers (over 2 games) didn’t change my mind. 

Edited by Swami

Does that leave us in the market for someone who long term could develop into a #9 with similar height/build to KVV but can also operate out wide (without necessarily being "anywhere across the front 3")?

Bring him home.

IMG_7440.jpg

Edited by capt_oats

I see the Woolery deal as win/win for all parties.

Transfer fee for a free transfer on a player who had 1 or 2 moments, but who's output was pretty poor compared to many prior wingers we've had.

He gets a move, likely a really good wage and then a move back to England in 6 months when he doesn't settle in Turkey.

6 weeks to strengthen, plenty of time for 2-3 players to still become available when least expecting.

23 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Does that leave us in the market for someone who long term could develop into a #9 with similar height/build to KVV but can also operate out wide (without necessarily being "anywhere across the front 3")?

Bring him home.

IMG_7440.jpg

The horse? Aye ok then.