Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

If we are getting offered Money for Woolery then we should absolutely be taking it. Given it's some Turkish mob it could be half decent chuck, 500k-1m possibly?

I liked Woolery, but I don't imagine he would be too difficult to replace.

I'd be a bit disappointed to lose Woolery. Particularly remembering his performances in the game against Dundee Utd in the pishing rain, which he really showed his physicality in appalling conditions, and a game (can't remember opposition) where he came on as a sub and completely bullied their full back with pace, strength and power. 

If we're getting a decent sum for him, fair enough can't argue with that and my hope is this is further confirmation that we're moving away from 4-3-3. Clearly Woolery was brought in with that system in mind and tbf can't really see how we'd use him in a 5-3-2 kind of system.

1 hour ago, HPC said:

Sligo's ground only holds about 3,000 so there won't be that many to go round. has anyone pre booked on the off chance?

Will do a bit of info on the place if anyone interested.

Response below from Sligo Forum when I asked how many tickets we would get. 

Three stands. 1,600, 1,200, 900 roughly 

I guess you can’t rule out you getting the 900 depending how the club view it or segregation as you say but there’s a divider in the 900 stand which is around the 370-400 mark so that would do. The 370 is always the away section. Often there’d be standing for league games when it goes over 370 so people stand to the sides but don’t think that’s allowed here 

Very unlikely to put in a temp stand, the cost and hassle given our tickets are only €20/€25 would mean it’s little profit for a lot of work you’d imagine with cost of renting it 

4 hours ago, HPC said:

Sligo's ground only holds about 3,000 so there won't be that many to go round. has anyone pre booked on the off chance?

Will do a bit of info on the place if anyone interested.

Starting to look at options for travel, my name is in the ballot.  If unsuccessful this will be the first ever Motherwell match I have attempted to get a ticket for and failed.

Any appropriate info would be gratefully received.

Edited by ropy

I wonder how many Ryanair name changes and refunds will be going on Vs folk saying “f**k it” and going for a couple of days holiday in the West of Ireland…

I’ve never failed to get a ticket for a ‘Well game I wanted to be at - but I’m pretty much expecting it this time, so not booking any travel until the ballot. 

27 minutes ago, Swello said:

I wonder how many Ryanair name changes and refunds will be going on Vs folk saying “f**k it” and going for a couple of days holiday in the West of Ireland…

I’ve never failed to get a ticket for a ‘Well game I wanted to be at - but I’m pretty much expecting it this time, so not booking any travel until the ballot. 

The same for me. Looking at tarsvel costs, the cheapest all in would be roughly £150+not counting hotels/BnB. Unless you were one of those people who bought the flights at £17 return then its not worth it until a ticket is confirmed.

The Sligo/Bala stuff has baffled me a wee bit. I get that some folk pride themselves on never missing a game but as soon as the draw was made I sort of made the decision to prioritise money/annual leave for a possible next round where we'd hopefully be playing somewhere not in fucking Ireland or Wales.

Obviously we could get scudded and I'll look like an idiot but I'm surprised people are so desperate to go to Sligo to the point that you'd preemptively book accommodation etc.

13 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

The Sligo/Bala stuff has baffled me a wee bit. I get that some folk pride themselves on never missing a game but as soon as the draw was made I sort of made the decision to prioritise money/annual leave for a possible next round where we'd hopefully be playing somewhere not in fucking Ireland or Wales.

Obviously we could get scudded and I'll look like an idiot but I'm surprised people are so desperate to go to Sligo to the point that you'd preemptively book accommodation etc.

I'm with you on this one.  I went to Wales for the Llanelli game and it was a decent enough trip, but it felt more like a Scottish Cup away day as opposed to a European trip.  

When we got Bala/Sligo, it was very much 'meh' for me.  I'm hoping/assuming we'll get through this tie and if there's a good trip to be had in August, I should be good for it.  

Well, if you arent lucky then i thibk you will be first in line for tickets for the next game (assuming we make it that far). We won't be seeded but depending on the draw, tickets may still be limited.

My hopes for the draw next week is to get a team high enought to be seeded for the Play offs bt sre beatable. 

I know, very unlikely but there is a tiny bit of hope.

31 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

If I go, I will get you a Sligo scarf and you can follow them to Khazakstan or wherever the next round might take them.

41 minutes ago, Desp said:

I'm with you on this one.  I went to Wales for the Llanelli game and it was a decent enough trip, but it felt more like a Scottish Cup away day as opposed to a European trip.  

When we got Bala/Sligo, it was very much 'meh' for me.  I'm hoping/assuming we'll get through this tie and if there's a good trip to be had in August, I should be good for it.  

Exactly. People are acting like we're Kilmarnock or someone and this might be the only European away day of our lifetimes.

2 hours ago, ropy said:

Starting to look at options for travel, my name is in the ballot.  If unsuccessful this will be the first ever Motherwell match I have attempted to get a ticket for and failed.

Any appropriate info would be gratefully received.

I’ve done a bit in the European thread Ropy.

Hotels over there work out cheaper if there’s 2 of you also there’s 4-5 B and Bs within a mile or two of the Showgrounds.

I’ve stopped in Sligo Southern Hotel which is very nice but pricey, and a couple of B and Bs.

46 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Exactly. People are acting like we're Kilmarnock or someone and this might be the only European away day of our lifetimes.

Calm down…..

Last European trip I went on was Athens 10 years ago. Might not be a lifetime but at 55 it sure as hell feels like it. I have been to around 7 away Euro games and it does not feel as if it is a regular occurrence. Some trips I could not make for work reasons and because of shit draws such as Krasnodar and Flamurtari. 

Then you take into account I decided not to go to Stjarnan away because I had been to Iceland to see us play Briedlablik. Oh and the fact we were seeded and would get into next round. You know what happened next. 

Also Sligo is a nice part of the world. So for all those reasons there are plenty people like me who are more than happy and itching to go. If we get through and get into next round. I will hope to get to that way trip as well. 

But we might not get through (unlikely). We might get a shit draw next round to somewhere quite inaccessible. We might not qualify for Europe for another 5-10 years. So for that reason I am IN…….even if I am unlikely to get a ticket.

On the Sligo forum they were musing how easy it may be for Motherwell fans to buy tickets for the home end. I am not advocating that but I might just be a Celtic fan on holiday for the day and wanted to take in a football game. 

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I imagine the fact they're both in the British Isles probably make it a bit more logistically and financially accessible to a lot of folk. 

If you can make any Motherwell game in Europe I don't see why you wouldn't do it...but the reality is most folk will need to pick and choose because they don't have an infinite amount of time, money and goodwill from the other half.

I've also not been since Athens and was mighty relieved we got a winnable draw this round as making it would have required moving heaven and earth and taking out a mortgage of credit from the wife. But I've decided I'm going to the next one, if we make it, almost regardless of where - it may well be 10 years till the next time money, family, holiday, the form of the team and the luck of the draw all converge!

On 11/07/2022 at 20:47, Gianfranco said:

I’d still like an out and out striker to compete with KVV for a start.

Meant to reply to this the other day - strong agree with this.

Having KVV playing with one functioning arm showed the extent to which we relied on him for that role and I don't think any of the other forwards we have can do what he does.

Said it before but it feels like a tough sell in so much as you're looking for someone who can come in and be a back up but is still good enough that we (ideally) don't see a drop off and there's your Catch-22 - someone who's good enough for there to be no drop off isn't signing for Motherwell to be a back up.

Tbh, I'd kind of forgotten about our interest in Rudden in January but it suggests we were conscious of needing another out and out striker and feels like someone with that sort of profile is probably our best bet if we're looking ie: 6ft 2, someone young enough that they can't flat out demand to start but with enough raw potential to develop.

Edited by capt_oats

Seeing a couple of folk on twitter saying Woolery wasn't at training and apparently his girlfriend posted a story on Instagram showing her on a plane and the airline is Turkish. I've seen the post, checked out the airline (Pegasus) and it does seem to be a Turkish company, just unsure if it is definitely his missus. If so, then it would suggest that he seems to be off.