Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

Apologies I got my 13.500 (Sparta) and 52.000 (Slavia) mixed up.

But with Bert's preamble, because UEFA make the draw in advance of the tie concluding the use the higher of the coefficients for the purposes of seeding in the playoff. Astana and Istanbul would have had us on the left hand side of the draw.

Yep - Sparta are the worst combination - good team with a relatively shite seeding, so no bonus for beating them.

5 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I bang this drum constantly. It's even weirder if the reported interest in Rudden was true because that suggests GA is aware an alternative is needed. 

We can muddle through the odd game without KVV obviously but there's simply no one else in our squad that can play as a central striker in a 4-3-3 for any length of time.

Yeah, I can't remember the exact time frame but I'm sure we signed Efford fairly late on on the window after we'd already been interested in Rudden. Makes me wonder if there's potentially a hope that Efford can do a job more centrally after a pre-season/acclimatising period/ magically becoming less shite.

10 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Turns out the Sligo keeper (soon to be former) Ed mcginty, who seems to be pretty decent fwiw, was actually born in Motherwell. Who knew.

Well, anyone who's been reading this thread or the one on Steelmen Online, for a start :) 

3 minutes ago, Gallus Numpty said:

Well, anyone who's been reading this thread or the one on Steelmen Online, for a start :) 

haha, has this all been covered already? totally missed it !! Just read it on the BBC this morning.

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Yeah, I can't remember the exact time frame but I'm sure we signed Efford fairly late on on the window after we'd already been interested in Rudden. Makes me wonder if there's potentially a hope that Efford can do a job more centrally after a pre-season/acclimatising period/ magically becoming less shite.

As far as timeline goes Watt moved on 17th January, Efford signed 28th January. Rudden signed on loan with Dundee 31st January although his pre-contract was announced on 21st January.

Alexander and Lasley were at Firhill to watch Rudden on 14th January - his performance is discussed on the thread starting page 1642.

On the face of it Efford's 18 month deal feels like a very different, lower risk stop gap signing to what (presumably) we'd have been committing to with Zak Rudden. They're different players serving different purposes.

Tbh, my take on it is that it's more a case of being a bit more discerning with signings @crazylegsjoe_mfc alluded to it yesterday but it may just be the case that the right player, in the right price bracket hasn't been available. Rather than chuck some budget at a Jordan White-alike we've just not bothered and gambled on the players we've had in the building to take their opportunity - it's very much the anti-Robinson approach.

Shields is actually a fairly good example, he feels like someone Robinson would just have given up inside the first 6 months and agreed to the player's request to loan him out whereas Alexander's actually committed to using him and given him games.

Edited by capt_oats

Surprised by this - great news though....

Also, in that programme cover, Sol has the haunted look of a man that's been forced to sit through replays of our defence from January onwards.

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

Also, in that programme cover, Sol has the haunted look of a man that's been forced to sit through replays of our defence from January onwards.

That's not the programme cover. This is:

Screenshot_20220721-140548_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4c41755d4b866e6c66f776bc182bb2ce.jpg

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

That is good news but in some ways hardly surprising. It has been 8 years since our last home game in Europe (that we could actually attend). 

I am rather excited today I have to admit.  I just hope we don't do our normal performance when a decent home crowd turns up.

Be interesting to see the line up tonight.  I don't expect Van Veen to make it but if he did that would be peak trolling by the Gaffer !

1 minute ago, CoF said:

Am I right in saying tickets purchased aren't added to season ticket cards and need picked up? 

You are wrong. 

Unless you are picking up a new season ticket card.  Which happens if you move stands or move from Adult to concession etc.  Then the ticket for tonight should have been added to your season ticket card from last season.  So I was told.

2 minutes ago, welldaft said:

You are wrong. 

Unless you are picking up a new season ticket card.  Which happens if you move stands or move from Adult to concession etc.  Then the ticket for tonight should have been added to your season ticket card from last season.  So I was told.

Great cheers! I know that last season it happened with some cup games and not others. Caused a bit of confusion at the gates. I wish it was clearer on the ticket site. 

45 minutes ago, CoF said:

Am I right in saying tickets purchased aren't added to season ticket cards and need picked up? 

I was in last week to pick up the kids' reissued cards ( mines retained from last season) and the lassie said they'd be on the card. Agree that on the ticketing site it's not particularly clear , anything I'd read pointed to me having to go and pick them up.  

5 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

I was in last week to pick up the kids' reissued cards ( mines retained from last season) and the lassie said they'd be on the card. Agree that on the ticketing site it's not particularly clear , anything I'd read pointed to me having to go and pick them up.  

Aye, this is bang on.

I'd ordered my tickets a few weeks back, but phoned the ticket office just after lunch and they've said the match tickets are loaded onto the ST cards (same one for me, new card for the little one).

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Still doesn't make up for the massive transatlantic fraud imvfho. 

If his replacement turns out to be Edward Lettucehands, I'm willing to consider the matter closed.