Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 minutes ago, santheman said:

Think his toxic comment might have been as a result of Thursday night although I could be totally wrong.

2nd half a wee group of fans on the 18 yard line were giving him a hard time, not because of anything he had done but because he was the nearest Motherwell player and some of the comments were bang out of order and certainly even made me cringe.

Loud and incessant for 45mins, he couldn't fail to hear them and I could tell by the look on his face that he wasn't impressed.

Everyone got it on Thursday night - it was the most raging motherwell support I've seen for a while..

Sligo is a smashing wee place btw. I’d happily visit there again.

There’s always a wee bit of optimism when we’re looking for a new manager. I’m hoping we can play some better football but I’d rather watch paint dry than suffer Robinsonball again or a similar type to Alexanderball.

I can fully see us being appealing to Stephen Robinson. Bigger club. More money flowing than he got last time. Familiar. Basically the only place he's succeeded.

Why we'd fancy Stephen Robinson at this point however, is a bit beyond me.

23 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Sligo is a smashing wee place btw. I’d happily visit there again.

Aye - shame if that was lost in all the other stuff - really nice wee town and genuinely one of the friendliest/laid back places I've ever been. Build up in the Garvouge was great and the Sligo supporters were annoyingly gracious after the win (they all probably started pishing themselves laughing when we all left town). 

34 minutes ago, Swello said:

Aye - shame if that was lost in all the other stuff - really nice wee town and genuinely one of the friendliest/laid back places I've ever been. Build up in the Garvouge was great and the Sligo supporters were annoyingly gracious after the win (they all probably started pishing themselves laughing when we all left town). 

Agree with all of this but will be glad to never hear that fuckin Aidan Keena song again. Was on repeat there after the game. 

The young team certainly appreciated all the female students appearing late on after the game too.

5 hours ago, santheman said:

Think his toxic comment might have been as a result of Thursday night although I could be totally wrong.

2nd half a wee group of fans on the 18 yard line were giving him a hard time, not because of anything he had done but because he was the nearest Motherwell player and some of the comments were bang out of order and certainly even made me cringe.

Loud and incessant for 45mins, he couldn't fail to hear them and I could tell by the look on his face that he wasn't impressed.

I told the podgy one to keep his mouth shut. Only not so diplomatically. What an absolute roaster shouting abuse at Kelly for a full on 5 minutes. 

The wee gang of pre pubescent kids around him were  trying to work out who said what with I am sure the sole aim of trying to pick a fight. Not long after another roaster head butted another Motherwell fan but somehow avoided arrest.

They should grow up and realise that they were casuals 20 odd years ago. It is a sad sight for sure. 

When all is said and done I enjoyed that trip better than Llanelli and Breidablik even though we won those two games. 

There’s not much that Kelly said that isn’t true really - fan toxicity did play a part in Alexander’s departure.

It’s a weird one where that kind of atmosphere clearly doesn’t help the team, or anyone, but at the same time, you can’t imagine or expect fans to react in a different way. Those who travelled and those who’ve watched us since January 100% have the right to be raging.

The full conference (to my knowledge) isn’t available anywhere. It could be that the media have jumped on a 30 second soundbite from a 5-10 minute video that will get them clicks. There may be more context.

What I do think is that it’s unnecessary to come out and say. When a manager goes there are so many generic, neutral phrases that can be trotted out to get you through the first press conference without anyone being chucked under the bus. Anyone with half a brain could understand that when fitba fans are raging, they don’t need to be antagonised further.

26 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

That's a lot to ask of a guy that probably thinks 5G will make his dug gay.

I laughed pretty hard at that, cos it's fucking true. Kelly is a roaster of the highest order.

Not to add to the outrage against the team / certain players but I'm surprised Van Veen's comments “I feel like I could work harder for my team-mates and my team-mates could work harder for me." seem to have gone under the radar. It's pretty self-damning in terms of attitude. 

19 minutes ago, CoF said:

Not to add to the outrage against the team / certain players but I'm surprised Van Veen's comments “I feel like I could work harder for my team-mates and my team-mates could work harder for me." seem to have gone under the radar. It's pretty self-damning in terms of attitude. 

There have been plenty of 'Well teams in the past that have (usually because they were limited) that have outworked/outfought the opposition - and to be fair, this was true under GA during his best spell - but this current team is definitely not that, so maybe KVV has a point.

18 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

If any of you missed it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_scotland_fm

Starts about 14:15

I always think Alan Burrows represents the club extremely well and speaks with an honesty that other clubs fans can only dream of, but for me a wee bit too much weight was placed on fans focus on the shorter term. I think there's a bit missing in the whole narrative since Thursday and that's Graham Alexander's ability (or refusal?) to communicate effectively with the fans. I think it's a big part of why things were so toxic in the end. 

He lost a lot of good will by making sure press conferences were as uninformative as possible. It was his opportunity to talk to the fans, to explain his thinking, to help us understand what was going on with certain players. We probably could've cut him a bit of slack if he offered some insight into the tactics and why player X was chosen over player Y. It's possible to do all that without criticising individuals and without throwing players under the bus. He instead just waffled on for fifteen minutes about vague notions of hard work, endeavour, belief, focus, picking ourselves up, wanting it etc etc etc. It quickly became tedious and pointless. 

I'm not sure if he was intentionally secretive or if that's just how he delivers his messages (if it's the latter then no wonder the dressing room switched off), but it always had a hint of arrogance - the fans pay their money for a seat in the stand but they're entitled to f**k all else. 

I listened to the whole interview, as mentioned above, Burrows does always come over well when chatting to media.

Although I might give it another listen just to count the number of "you knows" in there...!

Edited by KirkySuperSub