Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 minutes ago, ropy said:

I would count Max Johnston as an addition to the squad but I suspect that means Penney is away and SOD is doing the left back thing - anticipate a knee injury within the month.

As far as I am led to believe Penney hates the place and wants to leave.

His body language certainly seems to look like this. I think he has been rotten since the return after the WC.

Plus with Max coming on ahead of SOD today I would expect him to leave aswell. Mutual agreement deal to free via contract. 

A left back is someone we are looking at on loan I believe. Who it will be, f**k knows. 

On the game.

I don’t understand Sol’s positioning for the first goal, Lamie drifted away from Nisbet as a result and Penney was left with two men.

Shields header was well intended but ended being a pass back to the keeper.

Spittal ran in on the keeper, couldn’t decide which foot to use, and used neither.

Who did Lamie try to pick out in the Hunter stand with his cross field pings?

I don’t understand how Penney got into that body shape for the second goal.

Tierney was stripped to come on before the third goal, scored in 74 minutes, but he had to sit through a power point presentation and didn’t come on until 82 minutes.  If you decide to make a sub, get him on.

Why do we play it back at every opportunity?

Two good goals.

Edited by ropy

15 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

A left back is someone we are looking at on loan I believe. Who it will be, f**k knows. 

There's talk Adam Montgomery isnt extending his loan with us and is going elsewhere.

Youd presumably be able to offer more guarantees around playing time seeing as we've got 2 other LWBs and a RB who gets shoved on that side at random intervals. 

I think Lamie is fine for us. He's nowhere near the best, but equally he's just about serviceable. Johansen sold him up the river at the first goal by heading off round Tim Hortons for a coffee which meant Lamie had to gamble and found himself in the middle of nowhere. The fact we all have known for about 18 months that our current set of centre backs would have us in a relegation scrap and nothing has been done about it is a failing that is hee haw to do with Hammell.

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I think Lamie is fine for us. He's nowhere near the best, but equally he's just about serviceable. Johansen sold him up the river at the first goal by heading off round Tim Hortons for a coffee which meant Lamie had to gamble and found himself in the middle of nowhere. The fact we all have known for about 18 months that our current set of centre backs would have us in a relegation scrap and nothing has been done about it is a failing that is hee haw to do with Hammell.

Oh, it's absolutely on Hammell's predecessors and I have an awfy lot of sympathy for him with the shite he's been left to work with. I agree that Lamie is fine, but fine isn't the standard required to be a first pick at this level, and fine being partnered with bombscare is a helluva pairing.

You need someone capable of performing at 8/10 regularly, and when they're off it they can maybe scrape through with a 6/10 performance. When you're starting level is 6/10 and you have an off day, suddenly your turning in a 4/10 on the regular, conceding the cheapest of goals, and flirting with the relegation spots. That, sadly, is Lamie and Sol as a pair's level and a huge part of why we are where we are.

1 minute ago, 'WellDel said:

Oh, it's absolutely on Hammell's predecessors and I have an awfy lot of sympathy for him with the shite he's been left to work with. I agree that Lamie is fine, but fine isn't the standard required to be a first pick at this level, and fine being partnered with bombscare is a helluva pairing.

You need someone capable of performing at 8/10 regularly, and when they're off it they can maybe scrape through with a 6/10 performance. When you're starting level is 6/10 and you have an off day, suddenly your turning in a 4/10 on the regular, conceding the cheapest of goals, and flirting with the relegation spots. That, sadly, is Lamie and Sol as a pair's level and a huge part of why we are where we are.

On top of that Lamie in all his fine-ness is also our recently minted vice-captain.

I've been sceptical about Lamie since he signed. I mean, he's fine,  he's a serviceable squad player but he seems to have Jedi mind-tricked folk at the club into thinking he's someone worth building our defence around. He's frequently given the impression that he thinks he deserves to be first pick for us.

Think back to the whole PCA/extension episode. He pretty much said that he felt he should have been getting more game time and for some reason we seem to have gone along with that.

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

On top of that Lamie in all his fine-ness is also our recently minted vice-captain.

I've been sceptical about Lamie since he signed. I mean, he's fine,  he's a serviceable squad player but he seems to have Jedi mind-tricked folk at the club into thinking he's someone worth building our defence around. He's frequently given the impression that he thinks he deserves to be first pick for us.

Think back to the whole PCA/extension episode. He pretty much said that he felt he should have been getting more game time and for some reason we seem to have gone along with that.

Heavy similar wtf vibes to the way Craig Samson managed to convince them to run with him as our number 1.

If they never learned lessons from that fucking fiasco....

In an odd way, I kinda wish we'd actually stop scoring the odd 1 or 2 goals and 'being close'. Feels like it's keeping Hammell and Kerr from changing anything radical when in reality that's what it needs rather than perseverance. 

I've been saying it since the last Hibs game but the system can change to be a bit more defensive and protect the weaknesses. Hammy and Kerr don't seem interested in that.

3 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Lamie could probably be just about fine in the team, if he was next to a leader who barked instructions at him and kept him in line. He most certainly isn't that leader and with Sol, it's like the blind leading the blind.

Exactly this. You can flip it for Johansen as well.

The fact that we're pairing the two together and are apparently like "Yeah, no problem with this...it's the forwards who are the problem" is genuinely fucking maddening. I mean the forwards are a problem anaw but fucking hell...

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Lamie could probably be just about fine in the team, if he was next to a leader who barked instructions at him and kept him in line. He most certainly isn't that leader and with Sol, it's like the blind leading the blind.

I was coming on to say if you stuck Lamie in next to Aldred that would be fine. The fact we're seeing him as the leader is chronic. Bevis is broken but is a liability at times, Sol is just awful whatever way you cut it.

Stick Blaney in ffs. The next option is to dig a hole and hope that occasionally it'll catch a forward out.

Not Hammell out yet for 2 reasons:

1) He inherited potentially the worst Motherwell squad for 3 decades and has been given virtually zero funds to improve it. 
2) We hired Hammell because he was cheap, there is absolutely no way that will change if we’re looking for a successor in January. It will almost certainly be Kettlewell if it happened now. 

The responsibility for this mess falls on whoever thought it was acceptable to send us into this season with little to no pre-season and no squad improvement where it was badly needed. 

17 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Exactly this. You can flip it for Johansen as well.

The fact that we're pairing the two together and are apparently like "Yeah, no problem with this...it's the forwards who are the problem" is genuinely fucking maddening. I mean the forwards are a problem anaw but fucking hell...

Totally agree upto the point where you ask, well who else do we play? Blaney is the only other option atm and I can only assume he’s dugmeat if he can’t get a game in front of those two. 

10 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I was coming on to say if you stuck Lamie in next to Aldred that would be fine. The fact we're seeing him as the leader is chronic. Bevis is broken but is a liability at times, Sol is just awful whatever way you cut it.

Stick Blaney in ffs. The next option is to dig a hole and hope that occasionally it'll catch a forward out.

Blaney for Sol

SOD for Penney

Johnston for McGinn but

McGinn for Slattery 

McKinstry for Shields

Miller for Cornelius

Tierney for Spittal

7 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Totally agree upto the point where you ask, well who else do we play? Blaney is the only other option atm and I can only assume he’s dugmeat if he can’t get a game in front of those two. 

Blaney’s a left sided central back so I’m presuming he’s here as cover for Lamie.

Which really only reinforces the idea that Hammell is totally fine with Lamie as our first choice in that position.

18 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Mentioned on another thread but Aberdeen FC paying £200 cash to an Assistant Referee should surely see some points deducted. Especially if the true establishment team is in a bit of relegation trouble.

What's this all about?

2 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

As far as I am led to believe Penney hates the place and wants to leave.

His body language certainly seems to look like this. I think he has been rotten since the return after the WC.

Plus with Max coming on ahead of SOD today I would expect him to leave aswell. Mutual agreement deal to free via contract. 

Could be true. But seems a little odd why someone who is actually playing football (he was not at Ipswich), has won a couple of player of the month awards and is actually liked by the fans actually hates the place. 

Now if you had said Connor Shields hates the place I could understand.