Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

If I remember correctly, he's not the most popular Motherwell player, which doesn't encourage me too much.

We're really just needing general cover in midfield after some injuries and sending loan players back, so if he can provide said balance in midfield that'd be fine tbh.

He’s one of those players who was a fairly promising youth, you blink and all of a sudden he’s 24 and hasnt really progressed.

I wouldn’t say he’s unpopular - no one really grumbles if he’s in and around the squad - but he’s definitely hit that age where fans are making their judgements on whether or not he’s cut out for this level. I think most agree he mostly looks a wee bit out of depth. I’d hedge my bets that the Championship is probably his level. He could do well for you. 

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

That is broadly what he's been for us. I don't think he's necessarily an unpopular player here it's just more that he hasn't kicked on in the way his peer group did (Campbell, Turnbull, Cadden etc) and he hasn't really done enough to justify being a first pick in the starting XI.

Robinson pretty much gave up on him as a CB after St Johnstone scudded us 5-1 at FP and he hasn't really ever looked like cementing himself in the team as a midfielder.

He's really only been a sub under Hammell so in a way this isn't the most surprising news.

1425582960_Screenshot2023-01-24at18_50_05.thumb.png.6d4ac834b17e1fafe3bd7a9aae13e6a1.png

40 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Maguire's issue isn't that he's particularly bad but he has literally 0 stand out attributes.

A spell in the Championship might do him good but I wouldn't be disappointed to see him go if it meant we could bring in another midfielder (ideally a "number 6").

1 minute ago, CoF said:

He’s one of those players who was a fairly promising youth, you blink and all of a sudden he’s 24 and hasnt really progressed.

I wouldn’t say he’s unpopular - no one really grumbles if he’s in and around the squad - but he’s definitely hit that age where fans are making their judgements on whether or not he’s cut out for this level. I think most agree he mostly looks a wee bit out of depth. I’d hedge my bets that the Championship is probably his level. He could do well for you. 

Fair enough, I had it in my head that during the rougher moments for Motherwell last season that Maguire was the scapegoat of sorts for some, and just got unpopular vibes from that ever since. Hopefully it is the right move for both him and us if it goes ahead.

Probably for an easier chance of progression Rose would have been the better tie. But a small non league ground would have meant a ticket ballot and a chance of following Aberdeens embarrassing elimination. No thanks.

Starks has a plastic pitch but I believe has 9000 capacity. So should get the number of tickets we need for all fans to be accommodated. Also hoping it means less chance of being selected for TV so another 3pm Saturday KO 🤞.

Expect it will be tougher than Arbroath but hopefully we can be as professional. Looking forward to a trip back to Starks Park. Been a few times but not for over 20 years I suspect. 

Edited by welldaft

9 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

I would assume that we would easily get 2,000 which would be around the maximum support I would expect from a tie like this?

Been to Stark's before to watch a reserve game and the away stand looked a fair size, indeed a quick Google search would suggest the away (McDermid) holds approx 3,300. Nae need for the ticket scramble klaxon I don't think. 

17 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Fair enough, I had it in my head that during the rougher moments for Motherwell last season that Maguire was the scapegoat of sorts for some, and just got unpopular vibes from that ever since. Hopefully it is the right move for both him and us if it goes ahead.

Yeah, I can see how you might have got that impression. As others have said I think a fair bit of that is a frustration at him not really progressing in the same way the group he played with did and also the fact that while he's been fine in games he's never really performed in such a way where it's felt like he's made a position his own.

Fwiw, he actually missed the 2nd half of last season which is when our form went off a cliff so absolutely none of that particular shitshow is on him.

232497273_Screenshot2023-01-24at21_48_18.thumb.png.c091bc20d83e5a213615241f94f05547.png

I place Maguire in a similar vein to Shields in that he's fast, works hard enough and is physically fit, but simply just isn't good enough to be effective in our team.

I don't think he has an identity as a central midfielder - he doesn't score or create goals, he's not a holding player, he's not box to box. 

He's also going to be 25 this year, I think we need to admit this one's not worked out.

What interests me about the Maguire link is that so far the trend we’ve seen this window seems to have been like for like:

Aarons out, Crankshaw in
Moult out, Mandron in
Penney out, ?

Hammell’s already suggested publicly that we’re looking for an alternative left back in the event Penney went elsewhere.

The fact that the Connor Shields loan story surfaced around the time that Brisbane’s manager all but confirmed the Danzaki deal suggests we’re swapping a player who’s been used out wide for an attacking midfielder who plays across the supporting 3 behind a #9.

Looking at our numbers for the 2 pivot roles in a 4231 we only have Goss, Slattery, Cornelius and Maguire so you’d think if one of them moves we’d be looking for a replacement coming in.

Beyond that the only two other players who are only getting limited game time are SOD and Morris.

Aye Maguire is probably a couple of years overdue a good stint in a lower league team. He's not got any glaring weaknesses and looks a tidy player but without having any standout qualities either. Definitely one where I think hovering about the fringes of the first team for a few years whether on his part feeling he wants to stay and break into the first team or by necessity holding onto him as a squad filler has hampered his development.  Maybe a year at Dundee could transform him and allow him to take his game to the next level but at nearly 25 I'm thinking maybe not , should be a perfectly serviceable championship midfielder tho.  

18 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Aye Maguire is probably a couple of years overdue a good stint in a lower league team. He's not got any glaring weaknesses and looks a tidy player but without having any standout qualities either. Definitely one where I think hovering about the fringes of the first team for a few years whether on his part feeling he wants to stay and break into the first team or by necessity holding onto him as a squad filler has hampered his development.  Maybe a year at Dundee could transform him and allow him to take his game to the next level but at nearly 25 I'm thinking maybe not , should be a perfectly serviceable championship midfielder tho.  

Aye, this is it. He should have been fired out on loan to try and get a run of games as far back as Robinson's time. 5 years or so flirting around the edges of the first 11 without ever being able to pin down a regular starting berth has served neither the boy himself or the club well.

At 25ish it's looking increasingly unlikely that it's going to happen for him here now, and best of luck to him at Dundee if the loan comes off. Pretty sure he's more than capable of holding his own a league down.

2 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Been to Stark's before to watch a reserve game and the away stand looked a fair size, indeed a quick Google search would suggest the away (McDermid) holds approx 3,300. Nae need for the ticket scramble klaxon I don't think. 

You could also have 500 seats in the railway stand if you need it.

Just now, rowsdower said:

No "announce" demands or requests to cut the dead wood?

If they live streamed it and had a chatbox open maybe but in person it was mostly well behaved. Maybe happened in the boardroom after for chips, dips and nibbles but I didn't hang about.

6 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

The chairman outlined a plan to target three groups, wealthy benefactor(s), business' ........ erm hold on ....... just go back to my post from last year and you'll see it all again, it was just reiterated. They plan to launch in the next 4 weeks. 

Thanks for the report.

I laughed at this as that was my thought as soon as I started reading this bit.

FWIW FirParkCorner said last year:

An examination is underway of the player development pathway.  Is it possible to find way to encourage investors (large and small) with the carrot of a reasonable return with the club retaining the bulk of transfer fees?  Can the cost to the club of the Academy be reduced?

The third route to future funding might be found by making use of the fan based club’s stance on major issues to encourage commercial (brands that match the club’s ideals) and personal interest from home and abroad. 

7 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

He was asked how Danzaki was scouted. I missed the answer to this as my phone went off and I tried to silence it in a panic. Maybe someone can add.

Basically that they'd invested in the scouting software and were now able (and required) to cast the net into wider global markets to recruit.   Great summary above.

On Morris - he did talk about some that they were looking to move on who are under contract - assumed that was who he meant there.  

Flao also mentioned something on McKinstrey insofar as Leeds not being overly happy with the situation there - didn't quite catch that - did anyone?  

7 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

They are really hopeful for the squad that Miller is part of, potentially a good number making the step to first team. That squad is a high water mark in the cycle of expected stars however. Flao added normally we'd hope to take advantage of players breaking through at 18-20 for a year or two but that was denied to the club with the transfers out of McKinstry and McAleese, unlike for Turnbull and Wee Al.

Went on again about how the club faces a very different environment with player recruitment from only 5 years ago. Brexit certainly changed the goalposts massively. BIgger clubs circle us like sharks around a life raft.

Thanks for the summary! I guess these two paragraphs together could be the issue. It’s all well and good to plan/anticipate a strong youth team coming through - but how do you stop bigger teams (especially with the budgets in England) swooping in before they reach first team. I don’t know the answer to this, but I guess it’s something we’ll need to give a lot of consideration to.