Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

My bad, I thought Butcher was only until the summer. is it summer 2024?

It is, aye.

As it stands this is where we are:

Expiries:
2023 - O'Donnell, Carroll, McGinn, Johnston, Casey, Cornelius, Goss, Paton, Efford, Aitchison, Mandron = 11
2024 - Kelly, Oxborough, Lamie, Mugabi, McGinley, Spittal, Maguire, Slattery, Butcher, Van Veen, Morris, Shields = 12
2025 - Danzaki, Blaney, Miller, Tierney = 4

Loans expiring 2023:

To add, it looks like Crankshaw is back at Stockport:

Edited by capt_oats

Obviously the defence is working just now but I would like to see Casey on the right and Blaney come in on the left.

On McKinstry, we will need to be losing a match and looking to change shape to get back into it, or be strolling it 3+ goals up before we will see him back on the pitch.

I thought Dean’s performance on Saturday was wee-Al-like.

On a side note I am enjoying the regular tactic of giving O’Donnell the last five minutes of matches, a most unlikely match winning ploy.

Edited by ropy

I'm not too bothered about Mckinstry really. He's still a loan player at the end of the day, even if he does obviously have a connection to the club. As much as he was one of our better players during the Hammell debacle, I still don't think he was consistent enough to shoehorn him in the team to the detriment of the shape or folk who SK thinks are more likely to be here next season.

It's not really much different from Grezza not giving Jake Hastie v.2 much of a chance imo.

55 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I literally forgot he was a thing.

Local press confirming...

Tbf, he didn't actually do anything wrong as such.

Ironically, IIRC one of the reasons he wasn't getting a game for Stockport was that they'd changed to a 352 and he wasn't getting minutes.

With McKinstry already here we've already got an option for the wing if we need it and with our other forwards seemingly back to fitness it seems a bit daft for him to stick around if we're not going to be playing the 4231 we presumably recruited him to fit into.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Obviously the defence is working just now but I would like to see Casey on the right and Blaney come in on the left.

On McKinstry, we will need to be losing a match and looking to change shape to get back into it, or be strolling it 3+ goals up before we will see him back on the pitch.

I thought Dean’s performance on Saturday was wee-Al-like.

On a side note I am enjoying the regular tactic of giving O’Donnell the last five minutes of matches, a most unlikely match winning ploy.

The subtext at the AGM was we would potentially be in the mix with Leeds indifferent about his future. Since Bielsa left there’s been two managers, the first didn’t favour and the second has yet to see him. But we’ve hardly made him feel warm and fuzzy since. No office to Aitchison but he’s got more game time of late and I wouldn’t say he offers more physically, speed or ability than Stuart, he just has the “striker” moniker.

That’s what I’m talking about when it comes to man management. We were coasting in Dingwall and were 3-0 against Hearts and he could have been introduced in both.

45 minutes ago, ropy said:

Has he gone back ‘home’ to recover from injury and has participated in a training session before returning, or has he been emptied?

Considering at present half of us would probably get a game ahead of him and the price of gas/electricity is wager he’s gone back to save money than pay for a rental and sit on the bench with zero prospect for getting on.

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

The subtext at the AGM was we would potentially be in the mix with Leeds indifferent about his future. Since Bielsa left there’s been two managers, the first didn’t favour and the second has yet to see him. But we’ve hardly made him feel warm and fuzzy since. No office to Aitchison but he’s got more game time of late and I wouldn’t say he offers more physically, speed or ability than Stuart, he just has the “striker” moniker.

That’s what I’m talking about when it comes to man management. We were coasting in Dingwall and were 3-0 against Hearts and he could have been introduced in both.

In Dingwall, We never went ahead until the 74th minute, and made it two in the 88th, so we weren't exactly coasting. I didn't see the hearts game but I suppose 2-0 against a good (albeit not showing it right now) hearts side isn't the best time to chuck on another attacker. Saturday on the other hand would, once we got the 3rd would have been. Even the rangers game when it goes 3-2.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Big John Sutton doesn't get enough mentions. Don't look at his anti jab twitter though.

I actually don't mind the anti jab stuff. I now wish I had not taken any, but thats for another thread altogether

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Nicely illustrates how rare a thing it is.

I wasn't aware of the Brian McLaughlin one (I don't think I'd even heard of him actually) although I'm assuming that was in an alternative universe where Motherwell were in the 2nd tier.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Nicely illustrates how rare a thing it is.

I wasn't aware of the Brian McLaughlin one (I don't think I'd even heard of him actually) although I'm assuming that was in an alternative universe where Motherwell were in the 2nd tier.

We signed him with the money we got for Willie Pettigrew.  £100k.

i have a vague notion that he fitted a cooker for me (can’t remember if it was gas or electric) but I wasn’t confident enough to question him.

Another ‘Well player who died too young.

Edited by ropy