Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

46 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

These were the three top scorers in the Hay season, 1981-82:

image.png.f07291f8a5511eb9cddbfc70e210d372.png

How Bruce Cleland got 16 I will never know as he was a bit of a carthorse, relatively speaking. However, his mother worked beside my mother, so I had to tell her he was wonderful.

There seems to be a suggestion that Willie Irvine actually scored 20 and was joint top scorer?

1 hour ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Blaney's just absolutely smashed in a free kick. It's like some weird parallel universe where everyone is suddenly good at them after years and years of being totally shit.

Kelly will be having flashbacks hearing about this

32 minutes ago, Swami said:

What’s this ‘second tier’ that everyone’s been mentioning? 

If you back to January in this thread - it's the thing we were all in tears about on a daily basis

44 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Called it, btw.

KVV is obviously POTY, but- I'm not having Butcher or Casey on principle- big Gossy is probably picking up a silver medal as things stand? Will go nicely with his 70 odd BBC man of the match awards.

Saying that, Louis Moult will probably still get about 25% of the vote.

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

KVV is obviously POTY, but- I'm not having Butcher or Casey on principle- big Gossy is probably picking up a silver medal as things stand? Will go nicely with his 70 odd BBC man of the match awards.

Saying that, Louis Moult will probably still get about 25% of the vote.

I reckon we can split this season neatly in to two. One fucking awful bit and one good bit. Goss was abysmal at the end of Hammell, but now Ketts has worked his tactical magic he looks like a new man.

KVV storms away with it but Butcher & Casey deserve a special mention for saving us from Ricki fucking Lamie. 

1 hour ago, Swello said:

If you back to January in this thread - it's the thing we were all in tears about on a daily basis

Back in January a few were having dilemma's about how this strip and squad would be a legends thing they'd have to come to terms with in the years ahead as cup winners.

6 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I reckon we can split this season neatly in to two. One fucking awful bit and one good bit. Goss was abysmal at the end of Hammell, but now Ketts has worked his tactical magic he looks like a new man.

This is August's St Johnstone at home and Aberdeen away erasure.

22 hours ago, Swello said:

I do feel sorry for Crankshaw as I'm sure the chat was that he was desperate to come up here - and he didn't look bad from what I saw. This is a direct result of giving a (failing) manager a transfer window and then immediately sacking him as soon as it slammed shut.

We signed some genuinely season-saving players in January - but we've also got a fair few that we just don't need as things stand. 

Aye, with Hammell also seeming to recruit with the exclusive intention of continuing to inflict his 4231 on everyone it's left quite a few spare parts kicking around. It's largely mitigated by the fact that the bulk of the January 9 are either loans or deals until the end of the season so it's not like there's a long term bloat - although there are obviously players contracted beyond the summer with question marks over them.

Kettlewell's pivot to the 3412 (which apparently suits the bulk of the squad Hammell had thrown together rather than the shape he was actually playing - who knew?) gives us 2 redundant wingers on the books (plus Josh Morris) along with 3 players for the #10 (Spittal, Danzaki and Tierney).

With Casey having made the position his own we've another 2 players who can play left of the 3 (Lamie, Blaney) and with McGinn on the right of the 3 (where most of us argued he should have been playing) we've Mugabi and nominally Casey as alternates for that position.

To @well fan for life's point about Casey and Butcher saving us from Ricki Lamie It's kind of hard not to look at the back 3 functioning as it is and come back to the recurring argument on here that neither Mugabi or Lamie should be our starting CBs (regardless of what the bold Ricki thinks) yet 3 different managers (Robinson, Alexander and Hammell) have ended up having to return to the pairing for one reason or another.

In Alexander's defence I'd kind of forgotten that he'd clearly signed Sol and Ojala as a fix for that (and in turn put Lamie's nose out of joint) whereas Hammell simply prioritised signing 2 known sick notes rather than bothering to look at his centre backs.

We're obviously not out of the woods yet although we seem to be trending in the right direction. Either way, this season has been genuinely weird and hopefully a lesson for everyone concerned in what can happen off the back of a series of poor choices/decisions.

Edited by capt_oats