Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

15 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

And like the others, he deserves a fresh start under Kettlewell. 

The past few months have proven everyone deserves a fresh start under Kettlewell, even the much maligned and forgotten Barry Maguire. I mean, he may even get a tune out of Carroll ......

As Lamie is under contract for another season, his age and over 100 SPFL appearances I think some have to get their head round the fact that probably puts him above Blaney in SK's plans for now. Not that Blaney has done anything wrong in the glimpses I've seen on him, he's impressed in most aspects. Of course none of us is party to what goes on in training and maybe one's stock is rising while the others is falling. As Joe says it depends what he decides to do with Casey. Ricki Lamie should be fulfilling the role he has since Kettlewell took over which is a backup centre half used as emergency cover or to shore up and see a game out with 10 minutes left.

It won't be lost on the players this manager has got a tune out of them and maybe a number will want to see and be part of what he building. I don't think you can overlook that when it comes to retention. We also have to hope the camaraderie and what SK has sold the likes of Casey are attractive because he's probably on the radar of 4/5 teams in this league and more down south due to his performances since arriving. Stats software means it's impossible for players to go under radars any more.

Goss' stock has risen too with an international call up and his stats increasing, all working out perfectly for him now he's on the hunt for a new contract, he's given himself a few options.

12 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I'm not saying that's what I want him to do. I just think that it's a big stretch from putting Butcher in there - who's an experienced leader - to an inexperienced player fresh from the league of Ireland.

It has also entered my mind that Lamie has been serviceable in the past - not under Robinson or Hammell, but for much of Alexander's tenure he was for the most part, fine. If Goss and Spittal can look like different players under Kettlewell, is it inconceivable that Lamie could?

Aye. I'd imagine if Butcher's out it'd be Lamie who'd be dropped in.

I suppose a point about Lamie having been serviceable under Alexander is that for a period of that time he had competition in so much as Grezza had brought in Sol and Ojala to play his position so by implication he wasn't nailed on as a first pick.

I've no idea whether that had an impact on his redemption arc or not but I suppose there's a chance complacency played a part. That said, I'd probably be inclined to think that his form under Robinson and Hammell was more down to how they were asking him to defend.

11 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Aye, I think comparing what Lamie and Sol were being asked to do every week under Hammell to what the current back 3 has been asked to do under Kettlewell is just slightly unfair.

Just look at Casey and Butcher’s performance in Kirkcaldy for example. A complete and utter shit show, Butcher’s attempt to play Goncalves offside at the 3rd despite being 2 yards behind him was genuinely hilarious. 

As you say, you can see the difference in Goss and Spittal playing in a functioning midfield. Or how much more comfortable Kelly looks in front of a settled back line. Like a lot of players, by the end of Hammell’s reign Lamie (and Sol) just looked bereft of confidence. 

And like the others, he deserves a fresh start under Kettlewell. 

I know everyone's been focussing on the Ws and KVVs goals but the fact that Kettlewell has made the sort of impact he has on the defensive side of things is low key one of the wildest parts of his - quite unexpected - Motherwell glow up.

There's a caveat along the lines of "Hammell didn't get the chance to work with the players he signed in January" but even taking that into account...the chance he did get was still a complete fucking shitshow.

That's before you even factor in the months of "good work" and giving the players "information" on the training ground after we'd shipped more cheap goals.

To go from getting bodied out the SC 3-1 by Raith Rovers to 3 clean sheets and only 7 goals conceded in 7 games (with 4 of those coming in one game against Rangers) takes you back to @YassinMoutaouakil's point the other week of "Genuinely, wtf was Hammell doing in training?".

For context in Hammell's previous 7 games before he was emptied we'd conceded 14 goals including 3 each against Rovers, Aberdeen and Hibs.

I get that there's an inclination amongst some of the support to just quickly "move on" from Hammell but given SK only had like, 3 days before the St Mirren game to go from *that* under Hammell to *this* is worth talking about comparatively. Especially given we're actually playing with a bit of style and confidence - it's not just a case of us having shitfested our way to results.

In the words of our award winning media team I hope lessons have been learned in terms of what the f**k actually happened and why because it's been a season that's been littered with poor choices and decisions from a club who have generally been pretty balanced when it's come to that stuff.

Edited by capt_oats

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

To go from getting bodied out the SC 3-1 by Raith Rovers to 3 clean sheets and only 7 goals conceded in 7 games (with 4 of those coming in one game against Rangers) takes you back to @YassinMoutaouakil's point the other week of "Genuinely, wtf was Hammell doing in training?".

For context in Hammell's previous 7 games before he was emptied we'd conceded 14 goals including 3 each against Rovers, Aberdeen and Hibs.

Same vibe as Jim Gannon's 'Juggling soot', where we then conceded something like 3 league goals in 12. 

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

It’s ridiculous that we could finish this season with a positive goal difference.

Brave man with that quote before we go to Celtic Park 😉

More probable if we finish bottom 6 I guess. 

Q is would you rather finish 6th if that is as high as we are likely to go and to get beaten 3 or 4 times. Or finish 7. Go for positive goal difference. Have much higher chance of winning games. Being involved in relegation dogfight but with (hopefully) little chance of actively being involved.

Tough one. But I would choose 7th thinking about it. 

Edited by welldaft

10 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Brave man with that quote before we go to Celtic Park 😉

More probable if we finish bottom 6 I guess. 

Q is would you rather finish 6th if that is as high as we are likely to go and to get beaten 3 or 4 times. Or finish 7. Go for positive goal difference. Have much higher chance of winning games. Being involved in relegation dogfight but with (hopefully) little chance of actively being involved.

Tough one. But I would choose 7th thinking about it. 

As a fan watching you'd take seventh every time but the financial difference means sixth and take the punishment.

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Aye. I'd imagine if Butcher's out it'd be Lamie who'd be dropped in.

I suppose a point about Lamie having been serviceable under Alexander is that for a period of that time he had competition in so much as Grezza had brought in Sol and Ojala to play his position so by implication he wasn't nailed on as a first pick.

I've no idea whether that had an impact on his redemption arc or not but I suppose there's a chance complacency played a part. That said, I'd probably be inclined to think that his form under Robinson and Hammell was more down to how they were asking him to defend.

I know everyone's been focussing on the Ws and KVVs goals but the fact that Kettlewell has made the sort of impact he has on the defensive side of things is low key one of the wildest parts of his - quite unexpected - Motherwell glow up.

There's a caveat along the lines of "Hammell didn't get the chance to work with the players he signed in January" but even taking that into account...the chance he did get was still a complete fucking shitshow.

That's before you even factor in the months of "good work" and giving the players "information" on the training ground after we'd shipped more cheap goals.

I get that there's an inclination amongst some of the support to just quickly "move on" from Hammell but given SK only had like, 3 days before the St Mirren game to go from *that* under Hammell to *this* is worth talking about comparatively. Especially given we're actually playing with a bit of style and confidence - it's not just a case of us having shitfested our way to results.

In the words of our award winning media team I hope lessons have been learned in terms of what the f**k actually happened and why because it's been a season that's been littered with poor choices and decisions from a club who have generally been pretty balanced when it's come to that stuff.

The board and one person in particular took the meaning of the word "loyalty" to the absolute extreme.

Hopefully they've learned their lesson.

Motherwell star Kevin van Veen dedicates 22-goal haul to 'the haters' who doubted him

“Even at the start of the season I had 10 or 11 goals, people were criticising me when I was the one who was trying to stand up for the team.
Now they all want to come on board when I’m doing well, and I don’t think so – all my respect is towards the supporters who always supported me in good and bad times.
People who are clapping now who have been very harsh on me and criticising me, those goals are not for them’’

:lol:

Some man.

Can’t wait to hear his speech when he collects his POTY award. I’m imagining some proper Father Ted, golden cleric vibes. 

Edited by Casagolda

4 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

Tickets for the Away match against celtic are up for sale. I can't believe I'm even considering getting one but if we do manage to be in a chance of top 6 after this weekend, I'll have to get one.

£32 though.

Luckily I have something on cos I was tempted too if it means anything. £32 fucking quid though.

7 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

Tickets for the Away match against celtic are up for sale. I can't believe I'm even considering getting one but if we do manage to be in a chance of top 6 after this weekend, I'll have to get one.

£32 though.

I will be in London, date was chosen as it was a game I was never going to, I dare say my refreshes of the bbc website will continue until we concede the third.

3 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Motherwell star Kevin van Veen dedicates 22-goal haul to 'the haters' who doubted him

:lol:

Some man.

Can’t wait to hear his speech when he collects his POTY award. I’m imagining some proper Father Ted, golden cleric vibes. 

Literally one of the best quotes I’ve ever seen from a Motherwell player - I’m starting the Hall of Fame campaign now. 

47 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

"No offence to the last manager, but I wish we had our current manager instead of him at the start of the season. "

Fair play for just saying exactly what he's thinking. That never backfires 🙂

I think media training for footballers in Scotland is literally "be boring, say nothing", which makes pretty much every player interview unwatchable - so when you get Peter Hartley challenging Rangers players to a square go in the car park, Erwin's "battered them" and KVV doing a Golden Cleric to Motherwell Twitter - it's brilliant.

I think our new head of media should be from Holland actually - get everyone saying whatever they want.